Scared little Newbies..Rouges,death and luggage

Let me preface this by saying I do have a brain and it does reasonable work, on occasion, like every 3rd even Sunday on an odd month.

As a cruise newbie (as well as somewhat to CC) I have been doing the newbie thing of reading and doing as much research as I can for my families upcoming cruise in October on the CB.

I try not to get caught up in hysteria and trolls looking for action but and it's a big BUT, I have found myself becoming increasing concerned about taking this cruise. There has been a fire, deaths/disappearances under myserious circumstances, and threads on everything from rouge waves to porters who destroy your bags if they feel that they were not tipped well enough. Some of you may or not be familiar with us in some of my previous posts but we are traveling with 2 young special needs (autism spectrum) children and that in and of it's self had me concerned about cruising with them (most fears laid to rest by many good CC members). I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that all of the media and thread attention to some of these matters doesn't cause my "mama bear" instinct to kick into overdrive.

So getting back to my brain and it's function, in my head I know that statistically it is low that these thing will happen to us (except maybe the "Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse" luggage game at the pier). I have traveled extensively and lived in Europe (not with family though and before 9/11) but never heard so much that gave me cause for pause. Am I getting caught up in hysteria or do I have legitimate concerns? Sometimes I feel like other newbies feel the same way and not having cruised before we have nothing to go on...but what you seasoned cruisers/members have to say.

Is it just a bad time in the media for cruises or is there a shift going on that we are just beginning to see?

Help, advice?? Grateful Thanks in Advance!!!

First...I LOVE your avatar! Today is rainy...I should be at that movie instead of home on CC.

Second...what are rouges (I don't think you mean blushers)?

Third...take a deep breath and don't worry. 99% of the people who have those sorts of problems on a cruise are either:

1.) Looking for it, or

2.) Drinking too much (see #1)

With 277 nights at sea, 22 cruises, one by myself, several with a female friend (i.e. without my husband on all of those, including one in Brazil), I've never had a single issue. Of course, I am not a 20-something any longer (and even when I was, probably wouldn't have attracted THAT kind of attention :(), but the bottom line is that cruising is a safe, enjoyable and affordable way to travel, either solo or in groups.

BTW...I just last month vacationed with my 6 year old nephew, who also has ASD. Based on my experience there, I think the only issues you MAY have will be with waiting lines, large groups and loud music and dance parties, all of which can be avoided with a little planning.

I hope you don't let these concerns dampen your enthusiasm in planning for your cruise. There have always been rogue waves, crummy porters, fires and mysterious disappearances. Your focus, at this point, is very narrow and aimed at cruising. You are correct about the statistics when you think about the sheer numbers of people happily cruising WITHOUT INCIDENT every day of the year. Obviously there is no news value in having a successful vacation.

The good and bad of these boards is the same.....lots of information!!

Please enjoy your planning and I will be looking forward to hearing about your successful cruise!

I've been on 24 cruises, and am taking my son (going to turn 7 while on board the next cruise) on his 7th (or is it 8th?) cruise.

We have never had a problem (knock on wood!) like you describe. I think you tend to read more about the problems than the good things. When you think about the thousands of people cruising daily without a problem, you should feel ok.

Your kids should have a lot of fun too. I don't know the severity of their autism, but I have seen many special needs children in the kids programs. A few cruises ago, my son made friends with a little girl with cerebral palsy and because of him, she danced in front of other people for the first time in her life. Her mother was in tears (me too when I found out!)

What's a rouge? Do you mean rogue wave?

See what I meant about the brain working only on every 3rd even Sunday of an odd month..

I meant rogue...not rougue..although if it is rougue like some women paint you up at the make up counter at Macy's..then you should be equally scared of that too..that is true terror!

My most sincere apologies for the miscommunication.

Yes you are getting caught up in the hysteria. You have nothing to worry about as it sounds like you're a responsible person who will watch out for yourself and your kids.

Porters destroying luggage - all it took was a simple tip to them when they took this person's luggage and probably nothing would have happened to the bags. I usually tip $2.00/bag.

People disappearing - yes if you get drunk and sit on the edge of the balconey railings then chances are you are going to fall overboard. Just don't be an idiot and you will be perfectly safe.

Fires/rogue waves/rough seas/bad weather - all out of your control so stop worrying about them. If something happens (and that is a BIG IF), pay attention to directions given you by the cruise staff. Make sure you attend the safety session held before the ship sails and read the safety notice on the back of your door and you'll be fine.

I can't comment on the kid's program or how your children will make out on the cruise as I don't have kids, but I'm sure they will be fine.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy yourself.

PrincessDream, You saw that special on rogue waves also. That would scare anyone. My dad serving on a ship in the Navy and we having lived on a sail boat for five years weather is more of a concern. Take a deep breath.

On people going overboard, there tends to be a common theme on many and that is of people going over the top with drinking and such. There is having some drinks to relax and then there is sloppy drunk.

Most people on a cruise maintain their sensibilities. I think the Star fire proves that. Aside from the one man who sadly did die, most people in the wee hours were safely moved to their stations. So they were not passed out in their beds.

If common sense is practiced a cruise is one of the nicest vacations one can take. I was on the phone with my mother this morning planning our 07 season. Thank you CC for saying the Diamond is doing RT for Hawaii.

The most relaxing vacation we can think of taking.

Please don't worry I have been a widow for many years and travelled solo oncruises,land tours many times never had any problems.I always do tip the porters...thats my nature...I like tipping.

You will find everyone will be extra kind to you seeing the two children...they will go out of their way for you.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.Do give us a report about the wonderful trip and the happiness it brought to the children.:)

I am a cautious person (I lock my doors when I am at home, drive the speed limit, etc) but I don't worry when I cruise. The same sensible precautions you take at home make cruising as safe or safer than driving to the port. How old are your children? Will they be with you or in the children's program or will they have the opportunity to pursue some activities on their own? We went with our grandchildren on the CB (ages 5 and 8) and everyone had a great time. The kids were not allowed to do anything without us unless under the direction of the kids club staff but that is no different from being at home/school/day care. I hope you have a great cruise.

Hi There,

Met a very nice couple at Christmas with a child with many problems, they always go Princess due to the care and attention they get.

They make a point of letting Princess know there needs in advance, they I think pay extra to have the child taken care off so that they can go to shows and go on trips ashore without the child.

They also do trips with the child, now most people who have done cruises know that that people in wheel chairs, those with walking differculties need some extra time to get about and are willing to lend a hand and wait as required.

You will have a great holiday and your kids will enjoy many new things that they see and do while with you.

You are being a good mother hen making sure her chicks are safe.

yours Shogun

I understand your concerns and yes, the media loves to sensationalize anything that could happen on a cruise without putting it into perspective.

I forget the most current stats, but let's suppose 100,000 passengers board a cruise ship every single week, not including crew. (And that's conservative.) Multiply that times 52 and that's the equivalent of a very big city!

Yes, there are deaths on a ship that the media never covers those since they are of natural causes. It happens. The ones that the media does cover are almost always due to people over-indulging in alcohol and doing something stupid, like standing on a railing. No one knows what really happened with Mr. Smith but it's a fact that both he and his wife were drunk to the point of passing out. There was a recent case on Carnival where a group of young men brought many bottles of hard liquor onboard and drank it in their cabin. They were beyond legally drunk.

The media has also spotlighted cases of rape. Yes, it has happened but in almost every single case, the passenger followed a crew member into the crew quarters. Passengers are warned very clearly not to do this and the doorways are marked "Crew Only."

If you add up the number of cases the media has spotlighted or hyped over the past couple of years and put them into perspective of the number of passengers cruising, the odds become almost non-existant. When you add common sense, they're incredibly unlikely.

The fire on the Star was a wake-up call and Princess is now installing sprinkler systems on all balconies. There are sprinklers in your cabin. It was a very serious event, and there's no way around that. But it's also very, very rare and there was only one fatality. Put that into the perspective of the large city.

You're perfectly safe and will have a wonderful cruise. Just use common sense. :)

Realistically, plan any vacation (land or sea) as a visit to a strange city filled with strangers. Bring along healthy doses of common sense and self-preservation and you should have a great time!

I try not to get caught up in hysteria and trolls looking for action but and it's a big BUT, I have found myself becoming increasing concerned about taking this cruise. There has been a fire, deaths/disappearances under myserious circumstances, and threads on everything from rouge waves to porters who destroy your bags if they feel that they were not tipped well enough. Some of you may or not be familiar with us in some of my previous posts but we are traveling with 2 young special needs (autism spectrum) children and that in and of it's self had me concerned about cruising with them (most fears laid to rest by many good CC members). I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that all of the media and thread attention to some of these matters doesn't cause my "mama bear" instinct to kick into overdrive.

...Is it just a bad time in the media for cruises or is there a shift going on that we are just beginning to see?

Help, advice?? Grateful Thanks in Advance!!!

Many parents (even experienced cruisers) will wonder if they should bring their kids on a cruise. My hubby was a bit reluctant to take our little one on a vacation, even if we stayed home too. We finally decided to take her on a short (3-day cruise with the port within driving distance) cruise with a jaunt down to San Diego for another few days when she was 23 months old. That meant she was with us the whole time. Turned out she loved going on a ship, the crew fussed over her, and we all had a fun time.

She has been on a total of six cruises since then, including a 15-day one. We haven't experience any really bad weather (maybe some rain... and before child, one tropical storm that eventually became a hurricane after we managed to catch our plane. No rouge waves (some rough waves on our Hawaii cruise, but that's to be expected...and I was the only one in the family affected). Our only health problems were hay fever attacks, so we bring allergy meds and decongestant, and hubby's allergy to the ship's water, so we bring bottled water for him.

We also book inside cabins -- no balcony for us. Maybe when our girl is older, but then we're saving a lot of money this way.

As someone who used to work in television and public relations, I can say that news outlets would tend to focus on the negative aspects. Unless they're doing a story on fun travel, any story on cruising is going to focus on diseases, rouge waves and the like. In nine cruises, I haven't heard of any outbreak of N-V on any cruise, haven't been on a ship hit by a rouge wave, my hubby took care of the porters (probably did give them a buck per bag -- we haven't had anything not delivered to our cabin). On our last cruise, one kid did fall overboard, but that was due to her mother being careless while getting on the ship at a port. I think there's probably been at least 18,000 passengers on all my cruises so that's pretty good odds. And so, so, so rare that there will be major problems.

I would suggest just making sure you bring whatever you need (meds, special toys or books) that will help your situation (not everything is available onboard or in ports), try out your kids in the kids program but get a pager from the counselors and stay in touch, and enjoy your cruise. You may discover this is the perfect way for your family to vacation.

Realistically, plan any vacation (land or sea) as a visit to a strange city filled with strangers. Bring along healthy doses of common sense and self-preservation and you should have a great time!

Agree with trvlecrazy! We have been on 12 or 13 cruises (maybe 14), and we have never encountered anything that would make me stop cruising. Our luggage has survived all of these cruises (although it does get thrown about quite a bit!).

The only thing that we've witnessed on a cruise was someone who'd had a heart attack and they had to be airlifted off the ship in the middle of the ocean by the Coast Guard. It was quite a sight to see how the helicopter and ship manevered and coordinated to make this happen. The Coast Gaurd did an awesome job with this, not to mention the captian of the ship!

We've never had any incidences of any kind that we keep hearing about recently. Don't worry, go and have a wonderful time and like trvlcrzy said, use common sense!:D

See what I meant about the brain working only on every 3rd even Sunday of an odd month..

I meant rogue...not rougue..although if it is rougue like some women paint you up at the make up counter at Macy's..then you should be equally scared of that too..that is true terror!

My most sincere apologies for the miscommunication.

I understand your concerns. I tend to over analyze as well. We are first time cruisers who will be on the same ship with you, so perhaps we will meet on board. BTW, my son is home on military leave, and we HAD to go see the new Pirates movie today. It was on his list of things to do before he left to go back!!

I can appreciate your concerns. We talked about general safety with our two adult daughter's prior to our recent cruise. More about watching your back. alcolhol comsumption, etc. That said our cruise was the Star Princess that did catch on fire. WE all were incredibly impressed with the professionalism of the crew during the incident. We can't wait to cruise again. I do pay attention to safety, and still have a great time.

I was on the Star Princess when the fire broke out (same deck even as where the fire started!). At no time did my husband or I feel in grave danger. This was due to the preparedness & professionalism of the crew. I can honestly say I would much rather be on a cruise ship during any mishap than in a hotel.

I was on the Star Princess when the fire broke out (same deck even as where the fire started!). At no time did my husband or I feel in grave danger. This was due to the preparedness & professionalism of the crew. I can honestly say I would much rather be on a cruise ship during any mishap than in a hotel.

Especially when the fire truck ladders can't reach your floor!:eek:

Archived