Odd Question

TeacherJenn

Hi,

My father in-law is going on a cruise with us this summer. It is his first cruise. He is a boating fanatic and worked in the shipyards way back when. He wanted to know if Carnival offers a tour of the ship, so he could see the engines.

Anyway ever heard of this???

Thanks!

Jenn

They have offered a galley tour in the past, and I have heard of bridge tours as well. No engine room tours due to safety concerns.

His best bet would be to personally ask a ship's officer once he boards and see what may be available.

Hi,

My father in-law is going on a cruise with us this summer. It is his first cruise. He is a boating fanatic and worked in the shipyards way back when. He wanted to know if Carnival offers a tour of the ship, so he could see the engines.

Anyway ever heard of this???

Thanks!

Jenn

There are certian perks if you are a platinum cruiser, this maybe one a platinum cruiser maybe able to answer???

Even bridge tours are hard to come by. My Dad was a marine surveyor and owned a manufacturing company that built tugs. I can't imagine how much he would have loved the behind the scenes look around. If he was still living, he would over 100 years old. The change in technology would have amazed him.

One hint is that the captain and other officers generally hang around the disco bar. I don't why the disco~ but it seems to be their hang out on every ship. Perhaps a good conversation could lead to some "private tours". It never hurts to try. Regardless of 9/11, the Captain of the ship can still take you anywhere he wants to!

... the Captain of the ship can still take you anywhere he wants to!

Yep, it's true. The captain on my second Carnival cruise took a liking to one of the girls in our group. He had her S&S flagged and security gave her a "private message" when she boarded. He showed her the bridge and who knows what else :o ... she won't say since she had a boyfriend waiting for her back home.

I'm pretty sure he showed her ONLY the bridge and nothing else. A Captain pulls down a very GOOD paycheck and it would be a very rare person who would sacrifice such a job, which he did NOT just fall into (see what's involved in just getting your shipmaster's license for ships in the 100 ton class!) for

the chance to get frisky with a cute passenger.

The Captain has the discretion to allow special tours to anyone he wants to, but he's not going to be allowing that a whole lot. Your best chance is to attend the Captain's Cocktail Party (usually on the second night at sea, IIRC) and from there, express your interest but don't act even remotely squirrelly or make him think that it's REALLY important to you. Don't be TOO interested or he'll make sure you don't get it, for reasons of suspicion and safety.

There's a lot you can learn about the ship's systems by Googling for info on that particular ship. For example, some of Carnival's ships don't use a conventional rudder and propellor system. They use Azipod drives, which are pretty impressive. The motor, propeller, and rudder are a unit that can be rotated in almost any direction, providing positive directional control at any speed, even below the usual minimums at which a rudder is effective.

The ship's power is diesel-electric. The electric power generated operates the huge (20 megawatt class) motors in the Azipod drives. Those motors drive the props.

Many of Carnival's fleet is built by Fincantieri Shipyards, Italy. Check it out on the internet.

Nautilus Entertainment Design is responsible for the lighting and visual effects systems on many of the Carnival ships. If you're into that sort of

thing, they have some very cool offerings. When you're on a Carnival ship

and wondering where they got the cool lighting, N-E-D is probably the answer.

Chris

:confused: I didn't get that when I bought our travelog 2 weeks ago:(

Hey bubbles-- me either. I also didn't get the not so newlywed game on ours. I was given the impression with the coupon that it would be on there. :confused:

Not a Firsttimescaredcruiser!!! anymore!:D

Elation: June 18-25. 2003

Our 25th Anniversary

June 20, 2006

I think I saw a TV documentary that stated that the engines on the mega liners run at a constant speed and the speed of the ship is determined by changing the pitch of the propellers. I would be interested in knowing which ships in the fleet use the azipod method of steering and controlling the vessel. Perhaps one of you more knowledgeable Carnies can fill me in, or at least point me in the proper direction to get this information.:) :)

Archived