Galveston Tremont vs Harbor house..Parking delimna

We wanted to stay in the Tremont. It seems like a nice choice. The only problem i see is the 10.00 a day valet parking. I called the hotel and asked if we stayed with them pre cruise where would be park our car when we left. She said she would give us a ticket to take over to the Galvez when we check out that will allow us to park it and take the shuttle to terminal. She didn't say if it was free to leave it there though. Does anyone know? I was also considering Harbor House because i thought the parking was free for cruisers but now i am finding out that it is not .. How much to park there? why do they advertise free parking if they are not going to honor it? Thanks for your responses.. Still haven't decided whether to stay in a 50 to 60 dollar hotel and go park at EZ. Or stay in a nice hotel with supposively free parking.. Descisions, descisions.. Can anyone clarify any of this for me? Thanks

I would like to know the answer to this as well. We are seriously considering Tremont, but with paying for parking it would be well over $220. I don't mind paying the listed $149 if parking for the week comes with it. Hopefully someone will know the answer.

This is a section of a "report" on the motel/hotel situation in Galveston taken from a message on the Meet and Mingle thread. It was written in May and concerns a cruise we're taking in January 2007 when Voyager first comes into Galveston but I thought it might have some info you could use.

As an update, I hear that the port is now enforcing the fee for shuttle service, so even more changes may be "in the wind".

Galveston is discussed under the United State thread in the Ports of Call section but I just checked and the info you want doesn't seen to be there. I KNOW it has been discussed but just can't remember where I saw it. Have you tried looking under the threads for the various Rhapsody sailings?

........(PA = Port Authority)

As the cruising industry continues to boom in Galveston,things continue to change..

There have been,lawsuits,bankruptcy's, openings closings,new laws passed and repealed concerning shuttles and parking lots in Galveston.I used to be a lot more in the loop,but have not kept up this year.

What I know is this..The PA had won the right to charge all shuttle buses,limos etc..everytime they dropped passengers off..This along with the permit to operate there..This was just too much for most hotels to want to have to deal with..They put a hold on the court order,and then apparently,it was upheld...But I have read it has not been enforced.Also,they port has forced 2 competing lots out of business through lawsuits over signage,permit fees,etc etc..

All this has lead to very inconsistent practices in Galveston..

The bad news..Some Hotels stopped shuttles all together,and charge more to leave your car ...

The good news.We are going in January,when hopefully they may be more willing to work with you.

At this time I am only going to Hi-lite my favorite Hotels..

Probably in Nov or Dec,I will began contacting these hotels in person,to see what kind of arrangements can be offered.

Also,there are a lot of new constructions that I have not checked out,but will do so as well.

OK..My FAB FIVE>>>>>>

the Tremont House

the Galvez

the Sand Luis Resort

Moody Gardens Hotel

the Hilton Resort

All of these come with a price..But if you are looking to really add a special touch to your cruise..One of these will do it.

The Tremont and the Galvez are both Wyndham resorts,and are wonderfully quite and cozy and elegant.Beautiful pool areas,and great tropical areas..

My favorite location is probably the San Luis..Just a great location right on the heart of the Seawall easy walking to the beach and great restaurants..and a stunning view..

Moody Gardens of course is a beautiful place as well,and I love their spa facilities..And if you are visiting Moody Gardens..You usually get some sort of discount for the venues,and of course great access to that and Schlitterbahn.

A little way off from the beach,restaurants and shopping..But nothing on the Island is very far away:) The Hilton is adjacent to the San Luis..and I have only been to meetings there..But looks lovely,just a little overtaken by the San Luis.

One that should be mentioned as a favorite is the Harbour House..

This is the closest location to the pier,and affords a wonderful view of your ship coming in in the morning.Folks are great,and have huge amounts return guests.It is walking distance,but I would not recommend it,lots of rough terrain,elevation changes and walking though the cars..

Main negative is it is a small property,fill up fast and often require 2 nights.Will make exceptions for returning visitors.

I will probably have to up the fab five to the sweet 6..Due to the new..Escapes by the Sea.Just opened may of last year,and while it is mainly a condo type faciality..It looks beautiful...and they have 1 2 & 3 bedroom suites.. Escapes Galveston

Other very nice properties..Holiday Inn on the Beach,Holiday Inn Sun spree,The LaQuinta Inn & Suites, Comfort Inn & Suites at Stewart beach was remodeled in 03..Comfort Inn & Suites Galveston new in 2003.

Quality Inn & Suites is Brand New as well.Also so really nice condo types..

the Reef,Casa del Mar,the Islander and the Galvestonian..

The are other properties..That are very popular,and fine for a one or 2 night visit..no frills.

Best Western,Gaidos Seaside Inn,the Commodore..Your Super 8 and a HoJo's..

I can not recommend these properties

the Flagship,Brentwood Inn & Suites,the Sandpiper and the Victorian.

Some will argue about the Victorian,and I can understand..It used to be a great place,but has become more of a time share place,lack of maintain ace,poor staff,dirty and really showing its age.

ooopps one more..I have not even seen..Apparently we have the which is the Inn at the Waterpark..I have a sneakin suspicion this is the property formerly Known as Brentwood Inn & Suites..I would seriously check out the review before I booked it..

There of course are some great B&B's, my favorite is the Mermaid and Dolphin Inn

As you can see we have tons to pick from...

Up next ...Getting to Galveston from Houston :eek: :D

I called the Tremont and spoke to a very nice lady named Karen. She explained to me that the $10 valet fee is for the one night we are staying there and they give us a pass to park at the Galvez for the week for free and we would take the shuttle from the Galvez back to the cruise terminal. I went ahead and booked, but have to wait until Feb.

We have also been assured that our stay at the Tremont will include free parking at the Galvez and shuttle to the pier. Of course, we will pay the $10 parking fee for the night at the Tremont. We were told the parking lot at the Tremont is not large enough to accomodate the cars for cruisers and those who are just staying at the hotel.

We are leaving on the 9th of Nov. I just booked the Harbour House yesterday. If you book through Galveston.com they waive the 20 fee for cruise parking. The way I see it is I am paying 95 for the room minus the 40 for parking so I am only out 55 for the hotel stay. Not too bad. They do charge an initial 10 for the night's stay. If you call to book they will charge you the 20 for cruise parking. Just use galveston.com print out the res and bring it were the instructions given to save the 20.

Well done Clearlakecruisers, I'm a past chair of the Galveston Chamber and can add very little.

The Tremont and Galvez, Queen of the Gulf,1911, are both George Mitchell properties, the Galvez has a covered secure parking area next across the street for your car. Just don't plan on walking to the terminal from there, as it's well over a 1/12 to 2 miles across the island. I would drop the tagged luggage off at the terminal, and park at the Galvez 21st and Seawall. There you can ride either their shuttle, a cab, or, the Galveston Trolley runs by, that will take you down to the terminals.

I believe the Holiday Inns may provide cruise parking and transportation as well.

The Commodore and Gaido's are small family owned properties which are old but clean, and Gaido's 37th and Seawall is part of the restaurant complex, some of the best seafood on the Texas Coast.

The Inn at the Waterpark has operated under many names, none of them successful.

Archived