New RCL Excursion Format

I have been away for a time so today was my first glimpse at the new excursion format. Just curious as to how it is being perceived as either a step forward or a step backward from the old format. For me I thought the old format was much more efficient and am pretty disappointed in the new one. I guess I am of the thought if it wasn't broken why try to fix it. I notice for cruises even 5 or so months out the choices of excursions are far fewer than what I have noticed on previous cruises. Prior cruises seem to have had a fair amount available that far out. Looking at Panama Canal and New England/Canada but sure not much there. I guess my previous experience of having success 4 or 5 months has failed me this time. Anyway does anyone have any thoughts on the "new and improved" excursion look?

I was looking at it tonight and frankly it was driving me crazy. I was just "browsing" but it wouldn't let me look at ALL excursions for each port. I had to go into each sub category of water/wildlife/culinary/etc.

I just wanted to see everything that each port had to offer. I didn't want them broken into subcategories. :confused:

I was looking at it tonight and frankly it was driving me crazy. I was just "browsing" but it wouldn't let me look at ALL excursions for each port. I had to go into each sub category of water/wildlife/culinary/etc.

I just wanted to see everything that each port had to offer. I didn't want them broken into subcategories. :confused:

I think we are of the same mindset. Guess no one else has an opinion or they are thrilled with the "new look".

2 weeks ago I saw the deep sea fishing in Cozumel on the excursion site. (Under our sailing). I read about it in our ticket book and decided to book it. Now it is NOT listed on our sailing. I called the toll free number and spoke with a nice young lady who informed me that even if it IS listed in our ticket book it may not be offered on our sailing. That confused me so I told her I saw it on line 2 weeks ago and now it's gone and asked her if she could check from her end. She giggled and said "our end of the network has been down longer than yours. There is no way of me knowing what's available." She suggested that when I board, I try to get on the excursion.

Anyone have any information on deep sea fishing in Cozumel? We sail July 22.

Thanks!

I just went and looked. I agree... it is a lot smaller and I was only able to look at 3 of our ports so far. Mind you, we are not sailing till January. It shows Cdn dollars for me, which is nice, but we pay in US dollars so...

Hopefully it will be better soon.

I agree with everyone. Needs more improvement. The old format permitted to browse easily. Now it takes longer and more patience to access the info. I also agree that there are not many choices. I am cruising in January and I was surprised to see how few excursions there were at this point for some ports. Hopefully within a couple of months we will see more variety and that they will iron out the kinks :)

I had started a thread about this last week (see "RCL excursion site....love it or hate it?" or something like that). I did get a LOT of posts by fellow CCers that absolutely hate it....including me. I'm about 3 1/2 months from my cruise and the only port I can get excursions for is Bermuda. It's a 12 day cruise, so I know there's more out there than Bermuda! I found the old excursion format to be SO easy to use. And I was able to book excursion 4 or 5 months before sailing date, which I liked because I could book one a month and still have them all paid for before we set foot on the ship. I, for one, think this is a GIANT step backward......

I am with all of you. YUk! I tryed to go into it over the weekend and show my brother how easy it was to look at the excursion's since he would be goinig with us and is new to cruising. Well needless to say I was very disapointed. It takes way to long to find what your looking for. It was much easier before. I hope they do some changes for sure.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks the "new" excursion format is a huge step backwards. Sadly it reflects to my mind a computer person with too much time on his/her hands. Change can sometimes be good but generally change for change sake is not.

In another year or two they'll change it again and everyone will be saying the same thing, why did they fix something that wasn't broken. IMO, it's all a matter of what you're used to. The new format takes a little getting used to in order to navigate it. I spent some time working with it one night and find it's easier to use than the old format. It did frustrate me at fiirst trying to find the links to get where I wanted but, after a little while I had it down and was getting everywhere pretty quickly. I especially like the calander that shows how the shore excursions fit together so I'm not trying to book something to close together.

For me, it works fine. It's different but once you get used to it, it's fine.

My only real gripe is that once you've purchased an excursion and then want to shop more (different port), you get the System down message and have to totally exit the system and re-enter. I've had no real problems other than that. Only other glitch is that I had already purchased one excursion and went to add another person to it - went into add/modify screen and all seemed to go well. BUT when you go into calendar mode, his excursion lasts 45 minutes longer than others? Go figure that one out:rolleyes:

It isn't just a question of what you are used to..........the system has glitches that haven't been worked out.

We leave in 88 days on a Panama Canal cruise

So far we have

Booked an excursion only to have them cancel it and refund our credit card even though we didn't cancel. Then we rebooked the excursion, had it cancelled again the next day, and recieved a second credit to our credit card. Hardest damn place to try and spend money I have ever seen. I understand new systems and the glitches that go with them........but IMO they brought it on line to early before thouroughly testing it out.

I do think it will be fine...........once it works.

Man- I so agree wit you all- I admit, I hate change but will comply if its for the better!

I had printed out a list (granted I knew it would change by my Feb '07 sailing) so my party could discuss what we all wanted to do etc...I liked having all the types of excursions listed on one list- we can pick/choose easier and compare different types.

Oh well, another vote for no ship-run excursions!

Cape Cruiser, I have a question for you....when you printed out the list of all the excursions for your Feb. cruise, did you actually enter your booking #, ship, departure date, etc. and get all your excursions? Or did you just browse each port and get your list that way? I cannot get the excursions specific to MY cruise. I can browse all my ports, but once I put my person info in, I am limited to Bermuda. If I try to see another port I get a message saying there are no excursions for that port, check back later.

I don't mind change, as long as it means progress. I realize this new format allows for a wider range of functions, being able to book others in your party, etc. BUT, at this point, too many people are having WAY too many problems with it.

Without being cruise specific to your cruise.........I don't think they have all the excursions listed yet. We also leave in October and half our ports aren't listed yet for our Panama Canal cruise on the Radiance.........I don't think it is you.

Well so far I'm not impressed. I've tried to see what excursions might be offered for our Oct. Sovereign cruise & right now there are NONE. I tried several different methods to search & they all came back no tours available for this port. Hmmmm, maybe I need to set up a tour service there, might make enough $$$ to keep sailing!:D

I MUCH preferred the previous shore excursions format. It was SO easy and quick, and you could view all the excursions for each port, without having to input your particular cuise. I think it stinks!

According to a person I talked to at RCCL they are in the process of setting up excursions that are for sailings after Sept.1, 2006. They are only doing contracts for a cxertain period of time. sept 1to jan1l, after Jan 1, spring?, after June 1.

I agree with all of you who aren't crazy about the new format. Before we were able to scope out the different excursions and think about what we'd like to do. Now, I don't even have access to the ones that would be available for our sailing.

Chris N.

Archived