First time cruisers on the Paradise 9/4/2006

Bigbroncofan

My DW and I are taking a test cruise for our 30th anniversary on the Paradise. After reading the posts, there doesn't seem to be many comments on the ship. Is that because there isn't much say positive or negative? Getting anxious for the date to arrive. Our passports arrived within 10 days of paying for them, so we are ready to go.

My DH and I have always loved the Paradise. We sailed her back-to-back in the Caribbean as a non-smoking ship and again on the four-night out of Long Beach. For us, the Paradise is just the right size, not too small and not too big. The crew has always given us great service with a smile and the food was just fine. Make sure you try the Deli for a great sandwich and the pizza place. If you don't care for something you ordered in the Dining Room, just request something else, they don't have a problem with that. If you want more than one appetizer, main course or dessert, just ask; they expect it. I think the reason you don't hear much about the Paradise is because it does the short Baja Mexico cruises on the West Coast; probably not the most popular of iteneraries. Also, you will soon find out that three or four nights is just TOO SHORT! We did the submarine in Catalina and the blow hole in Ensenada. You can read my review in the Review Section under PeggySand. Also, plan to do the early check-in at the Queen Mary, it saves you a lot of time during boarding. Plus, the Queen Mary is a grand old ship to explore.

Have a great time and DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!!

Peggy

I (we) me & the kids have been on several cruises ( see the list) and loved them all. We did the 3 day on the Paradise last year over Labor Day. Although I thought it was to short the kids ( 17 & 11) said it was the best! We have done from 8- 3 days. We are booked on her again in August for a 4 day and can't wait. She is a great ship, with lots to do. The ports are not the best but I cruise for the ship not the ports. I am repeating the wine country tour because I really enjoyed it last year and the local wine was excellent. The first time we did the Paradise we went on the blow hole and it's a long drive but me (my son and I) enjoyed that. Great little flea market next to the blow hole.

This is a cruise we do to get a short getaway, it's not like the the Spirit or Pride in regards to ports but it is a great little getaway for relatively cheap.

Hope this helps!:D

Thanks for the threads you posted. We booked this primarily to see if cruising is for us, as we are both in restaurant management and have to deal with the public 24/7 (or at least it seems that way) and usually we tend to go to locations that lend themselves to being quiet and no people around. So we want to see if being around 2000 other people in a setting like this would be enjoyable. I know, I've read all the posts about it will be as good or bad as we let it be, but, just want a taste of it before we commit to a longer more expensive cruise. We have always wanted to go to Catalina anyway, just never got around to it and while Ensenada isn't Cabo or PV, it'll still be an experience we haven't had before. As I said, we are getting excited already. We opted for an assigned cabin and got upgraded because of who we booked with from 6a to 6c so we are in the upper deck U120. Next to the stairs and elevators which is just fine with us. Don't know what we will do in Ensenada since La Bufadora is dependent on what time the high tide is and I haven't done the tide tables yet. But we'll probably get the golf carts at Catalina and tour the city as much as possible.

We live within 2 hours drive of Long Beach, so we are going straight from home to the parking garage. Hopefully be there around 11:30-12:00.

Thanks to those who have responded so far

Archived