Travel Insurance needed?

krznkim

Please help! I have noticed that I can buy travel insurance myself on the internet for alot cheaper than my TA is charging. Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any insurance companies they recommend? Do you really think it is needed?

I would love all comments on this topic.

Thanks!

Please help! I have noticed that I can buy travel insurance myself on the internet for alot cheaper than my TA is charging. Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any insurance companies they recommend? Do you really think it is needed?

Thanks!

We have once; I alway try to get clients to purchase through me as we have a very good plan, but yes, you can save a bundle by doing it via the net on your own. The thing to look for is the coverage. Sometimes what appears to be great really isn't enough if an true emergancy were to occur. All I can say is, regardless of where you get it, please get it.....NMNita

I always buy on my own via the internet. I like CSA.

I always get travel insurance when travelling with elderly relatives. The emergency evac coverage alone is worth it, plus they are far more likely to have some issue resulting in a cancellation.

When I travel alone, I get "0 cost" travel insurance which mostly just gets me the health insurance.

As Nita says, please DO get it. My personal insurance covers me worldwide for treatment and for medivac, so I buy simple insurance the first few days (to cover pre-existing conditions) to cover the cost of the trip, and to cover for death of a loved one, etc. Please look at all different kinds of policies. The company or companies will consult with you.

Bev

Thanks so much for the info! I will get it for sure!

Yes, my medical insurance will cover me and my family on the cruise, even evac... So what I am really interested in is Trip cancellation, cost of trip, death of a loved one, etc.

Can I buy the insurance without medical??

Also, what is "0 Cost"

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info! I will get it for sure!

Yes, my medical insurance will cover me and my family on the cruise, even evac... So what I am really interested in is Trip cancellation, cost of trip, death of a loved one, etc.

Can I buy the insurance without medical??

Also, what is "0 Cost"

Thanks!

Not sure about "O Cost", maybe the other poster will reply. We have been very happy using Travel Guard, and they have been most helpful on their toll free number advising me how I can get the cheapest policy to cover my needs. I'm certain the others will do the same. Or use: www.insuremytrip.com to compare for yourself. Since our mothers are ages 101 and 95, you never know.

Also we never know when we might develop a health problem, so we purchase at the time we put a deposit down on the trip.

If you're cruising from a port near home and could afford to lose the cost of the trip, you may opt no insurance.

Happy cruising.

Bev

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff happens...even on a cruise. Yesterday a passenger was ferried off the Majesty by the Coast Guard to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis after complaining of chest pains. [He was in good condition last night, by the way.]

Thanks!

we get ours thru our TA, Sam's Travel and I for one wouldn't go on a cruise without it ..........

I use insuremytrip.com for all of our trips now. Since our parents have become more elderly and sick it has given us tremendous peace of mind. The one bit of advice that I can give you is that the air portion, if you book it yourself, and if any part of it is refundable if you do cancel it is basically not covered. In other words if you can get any kind of refund,ie, credit for 1 year, health insurance primary coverage etc...the travel insurance basically does not cover that portion if you cancel. So it may pay to go lower with the dollar amound insured. At insuremytrip.com, many of the companies also don't have deletions for preexsisting medical conditions if you get the insurance within so many days of the first deposit on your trip. Hope this helps.

If I were to purchase insurance for a cruise I book, then cancel the cruise before final payment is due, would I lose the insurance premium?

The only cruise I've been on was to Alaska and didn't buy insurance and thankfully I didn't need it. But I'm looking at booking another cruise to hold the cabin I want but chances are about 50/50 that we may not go. I just don't want to lose the insance premium if I need to cancel before final payment.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Thanks!

usually we buy directly from our agent (me) because we deal with one of the top companies in the country and have great coverage. That being said, you are right, if you check on line you can get some very inexpensive coverage. I did this once. The one thing to keep in mind: what do you need? There are so many companies out there. Evacuation coverage in case of illness, cancellation because of illness or death (the immdiate family) lost luggage or coverage in case you miss the ship are musts. Pre conditions must be considered as well if you or anyone in your family has one. Just be really careful what you do and go for the best deal for you. NMNita

Just spoke with me insurance company and they said they would reinburse us for any expenses,but we would have to pay up front unless out of country hospitals and doctors would work with them She said sometimes they won't. I know we want have up front money if it costs as much as you all are saying it does to be airlifted and such. I think buyiny insurance would be a small investment for peace of mind. Can you get insurance for cancelling just in case everyone,just decides they are not going,no death or sicknesss or anything like that. Need advice. Thanks in advance

There are insurance companies that offer a "cancel for any reason" policy. You have to ask specific questions and read the fine print. The thing I like about insuremytrip.com is that they offer insurance from many of the major A+ companies...and you can compare what they offer side to side depending on what is important to you and your family. Check it out.

Thanks!

My quote from AAA was only $124 for an 8 day cruise; I'm a 61 year old male.

This includes $300k medic evac.

If I were to purchase insurance for a cruise I book, then cancel the cruise before final payment is due, would I lose the insurance premium?

The only cruise I've been on was to Alaska and didn't buy insurance and thankfully I didn't need it. But I'm looking at booking another cruise to hold the cabin I want but chances are about 50/50 that we may not go. I just don't want to lose the insance premium if I need to cancel before final payment.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Most policies only offer a free look period of about 10 to 20 days. After that period you would not get a refund of the premium if you cancel.

However, in many cases you don't have to buy the insurance until about the time your final payment is due, unless you have a pre-existing condition which usually requires you to purchase the policy within 14 days of your first payment. (Different policies have different rules.)

Most policies only offer a free look period of about 10 to 20 days. After that period you would not get a refund of the premium if you cancel.

However, in many cases you don't have to buy the insurance until about the time your final payment is due, unless you have a pre-existing condition which usually requires you to purchase the policy within 14 days of your first payment. (Different policies have different rules.)

Many of the insurance policies require you to purchase the insurance within a few days of your purchasing (booking) your tickets (cruise, airline, etc) or it's coverage will be limited. Make sure you read, read, read that fine print.

Archived