Some help and answers from a Barceloner

Hi Bea,

Thanks for your helpful information. I have confirmed the Hotel Toledano. We are fortunate to be in town while the opera is playing and have bought matinee tickets. Can we dress casually for this, or is it still more formal.

We are fortunate to be in town while the opera is playing and have bought matinee tickets. Can we dress casually for this, or is it still more formal.

Don't worry about that, it's getting very, even too much, casual. A pity for a beautiful environement.

I have no idea about taxi.

You will find an easy and good service by train and track train.

You have the information on my post "some answers..."

There's a train combining with the track train every hour at the hour:36minutes.

You have a combined ticket go/return that will allow to take the funicular aswell.

From Majestic to plaça Espanya will take you less than 6€ by taxi.

Have fun

Bea

Hi Bea, Tami here... I have a question for you. When we got off the ship on August 6th, we stayed at the Ciutat Del Prat Hotel near the airport for one night. Nice place by the way if you need something close to the airport. Price was good, clean rooms, beautiful hotel, nice pool too. The problem is my husband may have left his brand new prescription sunglasses behind. I have searched for a phone number or email address to contact them but have been unsuccessful. Can you help with that? Or, if it's not too much to ask could you call them. We had five rooms for 10 people. They were in a bright orange hard case. Either way if you could help, I would very much appreciate it. Even if they had them and have since thrown them, that information would be valuable and I could end my search!

Hi Bea,

I was wondering if you saw my question about the Jardi (post #63) that I wrote before you came back.

I'm so looking forward to visiting BCN. I've read the Hughes book Barcelona to get a sense of history, Shaodows of the Wind and Orwells Homage to Catalona. I'm trying to track down Homage to Barcelona by Colm Toibin, but its out of print so I'm searching libraries. Do you have any other reading suggestions (in English translation)?

I'm going to search back through your advice for a meeting place for a few of the cruise critics, I'll ask if I can't find something.

Thank you so much---I can hardly wait to see the Gaudi and Modernista buildings!!!!

BCNlady, how wonderful to have your voice on CC. We are looking for a good , affordable tour guide for 2 days in BCN. We have looked at one but it is very expensive. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

BCNlady,

I am looking at booking my family of 4 (2 kids--11 yrs old and 14 yrs old) in an apartment in Barceloneta very close to the beach after our cruise is finished. While I don't expect you to be familiar with the apartment, you may be able to tell me what the location is like. I don't have the exact street address, but on the map it appears to be very close to the corner of Carrer de la Drassana and Carrer dels Pescadors. Would this area be suitable for a family? Since we are not renting a car, is it convenient and safe to get to the nearest Metro station? Any comments about that area of the beach?

Hi BCNLady,

We are planning to cab it from the pier to La Sagrada Familia but want to walk back to Las Ramblas. I have a map but it seems like we'd have to cross some major highways which I don't want to do. Can you advise the best way to walk it. Thanks for all your help. :)

Hi again I have finally chosen to stay at the Olivia Plaza Hotel which is a 4* new hotel opened in February of this year.

It is in a good location although it may be noisy as this is the weekend of the La Merce festival.

If so we will just have to accept it. The price was good with the booking agent I used and also is for B&B whilst most of the others were just for Room only.

The price I found was £87 for a single or £107 for double as against as much as £165 with no breakfast through another agent.

The nearest price I could find elsewhere was £109 but this again was ROOM only. Breakfast was 15E.

My booking is confirmed and I have also called the hotel to confirm it and to add a request to my booking.

You are fantastic! with so much good advice and information. I suspect that the weekend I will be in Barcelona that your shops will be closed on Monday 25th September as it will I think be a public holiday.

Could you let me know?

Once again many thanks>

Sue

of this thread? We are abusing this kind lady.

Take the time to read what has been posted and then "think" before you ask your question: she has been asked how to get to Monserrat about 5 times. And now, she is being asked to chase down lost sunglasses and how to cross the street. Come on, everybody - get serious. She has already stated she is not a professional. She is sharing her knowledge of her home town in hopes that we visitors will enjoy her city and country.

I, personally, thank Bea for all the information she has given me through this entire thead and I am sure my visit to Barcelona will be more enjoyable because of it. But Bea, if you are still up to it, answer only those questions that are of interest to the general population and not those asking if this hotel or that hotel is a good one or if "Charlie" is a good guide or not. And, lastly, don't feel guilty about not answering a question which you are should not be expected to know the answer.

Thanks Bea,

Crewmates - thank you for having the initiative to say what I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking.

It's overwhelming just to read all the questions with which this helpful lady has been innundated! As stated, she is such a great resource to have on this board that we should be careful not to take advantage of the generosity of her time.

I , for one, would consider it a great loss if she threw up her arms in desperation and disappeared!

It certainly makes more sense for posters to do their own research first - especially when, as was pointed out, many of the questions directed to her have already been asked and answered and could easily be found in previous posts or basic research on a Barcelona tourist website.

Let's hope that, in future, posters will not waste her time to save their own and utilize her specialized knowledge when it is needed, not by making enquiries of the "Is there anything to see and do in Barcelona" variety!

Don't worry about me. I don't feel exhausted at all.

But I have been happy of your last post because I was just wandering if the post was going on the right direction.

I would like more dialogue and not only the formule question-answer!!

Let us know your opinions whe back, or your own purchases..

Anycase if I feel abused i can always ask to be invited when you get Barcelona...

See you

Bea

Bea, I just wanted to add my thanks for all the time you've committed to answering these questions.

Our fabulous travel agent insisted that we arrive a few days early prior to our cruise last June just so we could spend some time in Barcelona, and we will be forever grateful to her. We loved Barcelona -- it was clean, easy to navigate, and offered plenty of sight-seeing opportunities, entertainment and good food. We are looking forward to our next visit in September 2007. Perhaps we will have the good fortune to meet you when we are there!

Don't worry about me. I don't feel exhausted at all.

But I have been happy of your last post because I was just wandering if the post was going on the right direction.

I would like more dialogue and not only the formule question-answer!!

Let us know your opinions whe back, or your own purchases..

Anycase if I feel abused i can always ask to be invited when you get Barcelona...

See you

Bea

Bea -

I do want you to know I can't see enough of your beautiful city. Being on a cruise again for the second time doesn't give me enough time to do the things I'd like to see and do. And I can't seem to stay awake in the evenings to see things like the Magic Fountain or walk around when the weather is a little cooler in the early evening.

I did manage to go independently to see Montserrat. Seeing the beauty there and Gaudi's church, park, buildings were the highlights of my trips. We did see the Black Virgin but did not get to hear the choir sing. I hope to be back another time.

I did manage to buy a Lladro on each of my last two trips that are constant reminders of my trip to your beautiful city. I doubt now that the USD isn't equal to the euro if I'll be buying one on this trip.

However, I will write again and let you know how our visit to Barcelona was when I return home.

Thanks for all the help you've given to us. Glad you expressed your desire to be in contact and not just to answer questions.

Kindest regards - Marge :)

Its hard not to look like a tourist when you have all that stuff!!! Do you think the areo-bus is a good option? Looking at the map from Placa de Cataluna we could either walk down Del Portal de L'Angel and then wind over to the Jardi--or walk down the Rambles to Cardinal Casaras (?) and walk in about two blocks directly to the square.

Which would be the more reasonable and safer option. I'm used to cities and am somewhat street smart, but again--dragging all the luggage is my only concern.

We plan to take a taxi from the hotel to the ship.

Thank you for your advice.

I think the aero-bus is a good option, there's also a train from the airport to Sants Station both are good, but I woul hardly recomend to take a taxi either from Sants or plaza Catalunya. It won't be expensive an rather more comfortable and sure.

The last best-seller about Barcelona is called "The sea cathedral" I don't think it's tranlated in English. If you like black-literature you will enjoy the private investigator Carvalho books by Vazquez Montalban. Many of the restaurants I've recommend are on his books.

Hope you enjoy

Bea

Bea, and anyone else who is familiar with Barcelona wine shops and vendors:

We would be interested in ordering a wine selection as a "bon voyage" package. Can you suggest a store or vendor?

Also we are interested in selecting a few bottles to bring home. My husband likes a chardonnay and I enjoy a smooth and hearty merlot. We would enjoy tasting a few selections before purchasing.

Bea, on the first page you suggested some good wine stores. Do they offer a chance to taste?

Thank you for your time and all your excellent suggestions. we will spend 2+ days in Barcelona before the Century transatlantic. We look forward to enjoying your tapas and other restaurant suggestions.

All the wine stores will prepare good selections.

I don't think you can try unless some promotion.

Rioja reds are now a little old fashioned.

Ribera de Duero (Castilla) and Priorat (Catalunya) are going up, the last are having great succes in the States.

They have beautiful colour and remember more french wines.

Catalan whites are extremly good as cava (catalan champagne).

Don't buy Galician whites, they support badly travelling.

Here's another adress:

Vinos Torres, Carrer Nou de la Rambla 27 near the Ramblas. There you could perhaps try as they have some tables to take wine, jamon and cheese.

Bea

All the wine stores will prepare good selections.

I don't think you can try unless some promotion.

Rioja reds are now a little old fashioned.

Ribera de Duero (Castilla) and Priorat (Catalunya) are going up, the last are having great succes in the States.

They have beautiful colour and remember more french wines.

Catalan whites are extremly good as cava (catalan champagne).

Don't buy Galician whites, they support badly travelling.

Here's another adress:

Vinos Torres, Carrer Nou de la Rambla 27 near the Ramblas. There you could perhaps try as they have some tables to take wine, jamon and cheese.

Bea

Bea, thank you for responding so quickly! I hope that some day we will sail together, I would love to meet you.

We will definitely visit Vinos Torres, as well as the others you have mentioned on this thread.

Boxed wine--I forgot to include an important question about any quality wines [not low-grade] that are available in 2-4 litre containers.

In the past, California boxed wines were generally "minimally acceptable" or good for mixing with sparkling water or soda. Recently there are several very good boxed wines which are much more expensive than before, but worth every penny.

On our S American trip others bought local boxed wines. I would love to try any quality Spanish or european wines in small boxes that you could recommend.

Thanks

Boxed wine--I forgot to include an important question about any quality wines [not low-grade] that are available in 2-4 litre containers.

I have never seen those containers in Barcelona. We saw them travelling in Ribera de Duero and Toro (good reds too), but they will have hard as we are traditional: bottle and cork!!

Bea

Hi BCN Lady, I just wanted to tell you that your city is beautiful! we stayed 3 nights pre cruise at the H10 Universitat Hotel, just off Las Ramblas in early June. It was a very nice hotel, with a staff that was terrific. Had dinner in the Olympic Port section at Aqua, made reservation on line before leaving the states, food and service were exceptional. Then stayed 2 nights post cruise in another quieter section, at the Princess. It too was lovely, and the staff were very helpful. Everyone we met were helpful, and informative. We had tapas at a restaurant right off Las Ramblas, and our waiter was Italian. He traveled all over the world and decided to make Barcelona his home, and I can see why he chose this city. He suggested and served us both hot and cold tapas, along with regional white and red wines. we had a great time, and are planning another trip to Barcelona next spring.

Barb

Thank you Barb for your words, very happy you enjoyed.

I've been doing some search for you all.

Don't worry, as my children are still on school holiday with my parents I've a little time to go around. I work near the Ramblas, so it has been easy.

This is especially for those looking for a restaurant for a great meet.

I was willing if a very old retaurant named "Los Caracoles" was still going on.

It's just as always, they still cook with wood fire. I've been taking a look of the menu and it's OK.

The adress is: Escudillers 14

tel. 933023185

On the same street I've found "La Fonda"

Escudillers 10

tel 3017515

Beatiful decoration, enough room for groups and a menu on traditional cooking. I didn't know it but looks pretty well.

In front there was a big store of handcraft, especially pottery from all Spain pretty nice.

Escudillers street are near the Ramblas and Colon monument and had the worst reputation town (girls...).

Hope it helps

Bea

[

quote=BCNlady] I work near the Ramblas, so it has been easy.

This is especially for those looking for a restaurant for a great meet.

I was willing if a very old retaurant named "Los Caracoles" was still going on.

It's just as always, they still cook with wood fire. I've been taking a look of the menu and it's OK.

The adress is: Escudillers 14

tel. 933023185

BCN lady, my husband was in the US Navy back in the 60's and has been talking about Los Caracoles for over 40 years - Guess we'll have to have dinner there on night - just so I can finally taste the good meals he remembered. Thanks for the message.:D

Archived