QM2 Masked Ball/Ascot Ball

Cruise Lover Kathy

I know this event is formal...do/did people bring fancy masks to wear? Recommendations on what past cruisers have done...

I saw some Ascot Ball pictures on someone's blog. Is that night black and white as well as the Captain' Ball or just happened to be the ladies pictured?

Hi Kathy

These events are formal. You could bring a mask for one and a hat for the other but Cunard will have lots of things on board to make either.

The ladies in black and white at a Ascot ball (you knew it was ascot because of the hats?) may have been inspired by the Ladies and Gentlemen in "The Ascot Gavotte" from "My Fair Lady" who, in the film, all dressed (except Prof. Higgins) in black and white (or grey/silver).

Enjoy the voyage (personally I would prefer to remove one of my major organs with a blunt rusty knife than attend either!).

Hi Kathy

These events are formal. You could bring a mask for one and a hat for the other but Cunard will have lots of things on board to make either.

The ladies in black and white at a Ascot ball (you knew it was ascot because of the hats?) may have been inspired by the Ladies and Gentlemen in "The Ascot Gavotte" from "My Fair Lady" who, in the film, all dressed (except Prof. Higgins) in black and white (or grey/silver).

Enjoy the voyage (personally I would prefer to remove one of my major organs with a blunt rusty knife than attend either!).

Well, Heck,

Pepper,

I guess that blows my chances at getting the first dance from you!

I was going to wear my mask AND hat so you would wonder who that gorgeous, sexy, mysterious lady was!

I brought both, although we did not end up having an Ascot ball on our cruise. However, I did wear a couple of my hats, and even got a compliment from the Commodore on one of them!

The more you participate (IMHO) the more fun you have.

Of course, if your tastes run more towards removing a major organ with a rusty scalpel... Perhaps this is not the line for you. <G> Or maybe you might have more fun at the pirate's ball- to which I brought my mighty cutlass! <G> ARRGH!

It isn't required, but it IS a lot of fun, IMHO!

Karie,

who participates in EVERYthing. (Well, maybe not friends of Bill W- Not that there's anythng wrong with that! <G> I'm just not a candidate...as they would say... yet.)

Well, Heck,

Pepper,

I guess that blows my chances at getting the first dance from you!

I was going to wear my mask AND hat so you would wonder who that gorgeous, sexy, mysterious lady was!

The more you participate (IMHO) the more fun you have.

Of course, if your tastes run more towards removing a major organ with a rusty scalpel... Perhaps this is not the line for you. <G> Or maybe you might have more fun at the pirate's ball- to which I brought my mighty cutlass! <G> ARRGH!

Karie,

who participates in EVERYthing. (Well, maybe not friends of Bill W- Not that there's anythng wrong with that! <G> I'm just not a candidate...as they would say... yet.)

Karie

I'm sure that the first dance belongs to Marc. But were we on the same crossing/cruise I would find find a mask (believe me, you'd want me to wear a mask) and attend. Your hat and mask would not help disguise you as there are many here who would love to meet you in person to say hello, and so I would look for the lady who was the centre of attention. And, of course, who was "gorgeous, sexy, mysterious". But, the real problem is, I can't dance. And so I would have to pass and watch you and Marc from the edge of the 'floor.

(I'm sure Karie, that you will agree with me, there are many here who one would love to meet in person to say "Hello" and to thank them in person for making this board such an entertaining and informative read)

I may ask to borrow your cutlass (if I forget the knife) before the Ascot Ball however. There are limits. That's what the Atlantic room is for, on Ascot night the place looks like an operating theatre, full of men removing their own spleens.

Please forgive me for appearing to not want to join in. I tried to help Kathy with advice because, whilst it's not my idea of fun, I fully understand that I'm the exception and where I can, with my limited knowledge, I will always try and help others to get the most out of their voyage.

I'm also not a member of the "friends of Bill W". Yet. But some would say that I'm doing my very best to "fill out the application form" by trying my hardest to meet the membership criteria on occasions.

With very best wishes

Ah, Pepper,

The truth is, I can't dance either. In my younger, healthier days, that never stopped me. I simply tried not to step on too many toes at once!

But these days, I simply don't have the stamina My lungs will only support one thing at a time. And I am sure you understand, I refuse to give up talking... so breathing has to go! <LOL>!

As for all of those rusty dull tools out there (What do you men do when faced with having to fly in? How do you get them past airline security?) I'm not sure how I would feel about a ballroom full of men venting their spleens! Oh wait! That''s called football.... Or political debate, one or the other!

And I suspect you would not need a mask. Unless it was to keep all of the ladies (and gents of a certain persuasion) from attacking you amorously. After all, I am sure there is only so much of you to go around, and it simply would not be fair to the others!

And yes, you are correct, that I overstep my bounds if I insist that EVERYone must participate. Heck, if they all did, there would be less attention for MOI! <LOL> Truly, Where would the egos such as myself be, if we didn't have some of the rest of the crowd there as an audience! If Everyone was busy preening, they wouldn't be properly attentive to watching ME! <G>

Truly, there is as much to be said for sitting at the sidewalk cafe on the left bank and watching the world go by, as there is for being amongst the "fashionable." Or maybe a better description vis a vis the Ascot ball, would be ludicrous! After all, isn't that the goal of those hats? The more ludicrous and outlandish the better? I have my opinions on why Cousin Camilla (You know, as in, my last name is PARKER) wears them. To take the focus off of her face!

Oh ! Now, there I have gone and insulted British (near) royalty! I shall likely be banned from her Majesty's ship and all of their namesakes!

Karie,

Who really means no harm.... really!

P.S. Oh, you flatterer! Why thank you for your marvelous compliments! What a great way to start the day- I usually don't log in in the morning! <blush, blush!>

I was just on the July 8th T/A and was told that there would be a masked ball, black and white ball, and a pirates night.

We ended up having a black and white ball and an ascot ball.

I looked at all of my pirates booty and masks and made my own hat for the ascot ball from a mask and some ribbon that I got at the hat making class. Well I'm not one to toot my own horn but....I won a prize :) It really is fun to get involved, not something I would normally do at home.

The black and white ball was very formal, I saw alot of floor length gowns but the ascot ball while still formal had more cocktail length dresses.

There are supplies to help you decorate your hat but you need your own hat as a base.

Deb

Karie

"Ah, Pepper,

The truth is, I can't dance either. My lungs will only support one thing at a time. I refuse to give up talking... so breathing has to go! <LOL>!"

You must understand it's not that I've got two left feet. It's just that I'm unsure what to do with these two things with toes at the end of my legs. How I co-ordinate them to walk is a miracle.

"And I suspect you would not need a mask. Unless it was to keep all of the ladies (and gents of a certain persuasion) from attacking you amorously. After all, I am sure there is only so much of you to go around."

Well, now YOU pay ME a compliment and I'm blushing. It's clear we've never met or you'd be recommending TWO masks for me (in case the first slips off) And there's plenty of me to go around, in fact, AROUND describes me perfectly!

"I have gone and insulted British (near) royalty! I shall likely be banned from her Majesty's ship and all of their namesakes!"

Given the popular view of what Her Majesty is supposed to think of Camilla, I think you'll find that you'd be welcome aboard any of Her ships. And I KNOW that you'd have been welcomed aboard by the ships company of any of HM ships that I was in.

"Karie,

Who really means no harm.... really!"

And neither do I Karie, honest, I'm only on the planet to have fun and respect others (hell, that's deep for me!)

With very best wishes

AROUND describes me perfectly!

Well!

Dancing problem solved!

Since it appears that we both come with our own "built in beach balls" We just get out on the middle of the dance floor and do the Belly Bump! Trust me. No other feet need be harmed in the execution of this manuever. All others will clear the floor and make way for us immediately!

If they don't, then they dance at their own peril!

Karie,

who could keep her hula hoop up without moving a muscle! <G>

Well!

Dancing problem solved!

Since it appears that we both come with our own "built in beach balls" We just get out on the middle of the dance floor and do the Belly Bump! Trust me. No other feet need be harmed in the execution of this manuever. All others will clear the floor and make way for us immediately!

If they don't, then they dance at their own peril!

Karie,

who could keep her hula hoop up without moving a muscle! <G>

Karie

I think you're more than a little cruel about yourself.

But your humour and sense of fun has made me re-think and... I will look in the Queens Room and see what it is that I've been missing. On my next crossing there is a black/white and an ascot ball. I won't be dancing, don't want to inflict that on my fellow passengers. But I will go with an open mind.

Now, I know I've "built in beach balls" and passengers have been known to run around me saying "4 times round is a mile", but to stop any rumours spreading, I was NOT aboard Crown Princess, I did NOT lean over the balcony rail, I did NOT cause a sudden shift of weight that caused the 15 degree list.

With very best wishes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived