American Express Travelling Check Card - is it convenient??

bluejayway

We are preparing for our fall trip to Europe on the mediterranean and we are looking at taking with us a American Express travelling card that we can load money on to and use for purchases and at the atm. Is this a convenient and cost effective way to take money with you or should we just use that atm with our bank card when we need cash?

Has anyone had any experience with using this card and would you recommend it to other travellers?

Thanks

From experience, you will find that many places in Europe don't take Am Ex, be it the regular credit card or one of those money cards. I think because of their high retailer rates, they just refuse all Am Ex.

I was wondering about the same thing.... using it on a cruise ship, so I guess I will have to try something else.

Does anyone know if you can get a VISA or Mastercard Cheque card to just put money on it and use it on vacation, that's all? Do Banks usual offer this?

Thanks for any info!

Deana

Most pre-loaded cards(be it amex, visa, mastercard) cannot be used for your shipboard account. I think it's mainly because they are preloaded and the cruiselines don't want to take the chance that you will use all the funds on the card when it comes time to close out your account.

Archived