Bear Watching - Dolly Varden Tours?

curiousl8y

Hi Folks,

We're looking at the Dolly Varden shore excursion for bear watching at Chilkoot River/Lake in late Aug 2007:

http://www.dollyvardenalaska.com/Chilkoot%20Lake%20Nature%20Tour.htm

Has anybody done this tour, and what did you think of it? More importantly, did you see Bears????

(Bearbait, if you see this, I'm very interested in what you have to say about this place and time for bear watching)

Thanks,

Linda

No this is not a good option and a very low chance of seeing bears. Haines has a very late salmon run, after the cruise ship season, that's why all the eagles. The Chilkoot River is also very over run with fishing, which keeps the bears away. Add to that, sightings are much better early morning and late evening, again outside of a cruise ship port time. Overall, you are too early.

You are going peak for Traitor's Cove, black bears however. That is the better option.

Alaska really needs to institute rules about the way such tours are described. At ISP they're at least honest and have changed the tour title from Bear Viewing to Bear Search - your odds of seeing bears at Chilkoot Lake during the day now (since it became a popular destination and the bears left) are remote.

Murray

Ahhh. I was wondering if the incredibly reasonable price was too good to be true. Rats.

Yeah, it kinda smacks of false advertizing, doesn't it? :mad:

Thanks, you guys. As usual, you're all a priceless resource.

So, we gave up on the idea of bear watching from Anchorage or Homer due to time constraints, and are looking for a cruise shore excursion option. Problem is, we want BROWN bears. Any ideas?

Our ports of call are Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

Thanks!

Ahhh. I was wondering if the incredibly reasonable price was too good to be true. Rats.

Yeah, it kinda smacks of false advertizing, doesn't it? :mad:

Thanks, you guys. As usual, you're all a priceless resource.

So, we gave up on the idea of bear watching from Anchorage or Homer due to time constraints, and are looking for a cruise shore excursion option. Problem is, we want BROWN bears. Any ideas?

Our ports of call are Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

Thanks!

Are you going to Denali park??? I strongly suggest you add it to your interior Alaska time, this is the best and cheapest opportunity for browns. You are most likely too late for the browns at Anan, they are around usually early. I would definately FIX your time constraints and consider Homer, if Denali Park is not possible, again, with time a year off, I strongly suggest you add time, and determine how often you are going to get to Alaska??? An extra day or two can significantly impact on better sightseeing and the "cost" can be insignificant since you are already there, adding only a couple nights lodging and food for the opportunty for a great tour.

Are you going to Denali park??? I strongly suggest you add it to your interior Alaska time, this is the best and cheapest opportunity for browns.

Oh yes, we're spending time in Denali. In fact, we're spending one night possibly 2 at Kantishna. You think we'll get our Brown Bear fix in Denali? :)

Linda

Oh yes, we're spending time in Denali. In fact, we're spending one night possibly 2 at Kantishna. You think we'll get our Brown Bear fix in Denali? :)

Linda

Brown bears are a given in Denali Park. So yes, you will most likely see them. :) Will you have a car??? If so, spend the evenings on the slow drive to Savage River. Last year I spent over an hour near there, watching 3 browns on the wash. All the buses just stopped at most 10 minutes. :)

Here is a photo of a grizzly, last year in Denali Park 9-1. It was climbing up a hill, lost it's footing and as you can see, slid all the way back down. :) Got up again and starting digging for something next to the road. A good 20 mins. of just watching this single bear. Have a look if you care to. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Brown bears are a given in Denali Park. So yes, you will most likely see them. :) Will you have a car??? If so, spend the evenings on the slow drive to Savage River. Last year I spent over an hour near there, watching 3 browns on the wash. All the buses just stopped at most 10 minutes. :)

Here is a photo of a grizzly, last year in Denali Park 9-1. It was climbing up a hill, lost it's footing and as you can see, slid all the way back down. :) Got up again and starting digging for something next to the road. A good 20 mins. of just watching this single bear. Have a look if you care to. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Oh, that's priceless! I literally laughed out loud at those, thanks!

We'll take your advice and head over to Savage River. Thanks again!

Linda

Archived