Re: Obstructed View Cabins

bubr61971

On the Emerald Deck where there is an outside cabin with an obstructed view is the and walking deck between the outside cabins and the lifeboats or is it a deck that is not open to the public. I don't quite understand can anyone help. I am the our group director and i want to be able to explain how this works.

Brenda

I think this person (Brenda) is asking: on the Emerald Deck, is there access to the outside, where the lifeboats are hanging? I know I have been on ships where the are doors which exit to a promenade deck where the lifeboats are dangling (above) one's head.

I'd also like to know, as we have a cabin on this deck on the Caribbean Princess! Thanks, KIM

An obstructed view cabin will have all or part of a life boat hanging in front of your window. There is no deck outside your window, only the lifeboats. We had an obstructed view on the Grand Princess, and luckily it was just the very front end of one of the smaller lifeboats, so our view wasn't really all that obstructed. We could see straight out to the horizon, but if you climbed on the bed and looked DOWN, then you would see the lifeboat. (but who does that?)

Hope this helped.

TinaLee

I have had 2 obstructed cabins (Sea Princess and Coral Princess). There is no walkway for passengers to walk in front of the window but crew are required to regularly check to make sure the life boats are safe and were often in front of our window.

In both cases - my view was entirely obstructed and I could not see outside.

I had an Emerald Deck obstructed on Diamond, there was a life boat susupended outside our cabin, we had about 40% visibility but it it is true that if you cabin window faces one of the lifeboats used as tenders and they use them there will be a possibility that someone will get a peek at your window and whatever there might be inside it.:eek:

Dawn Princess-obstructed view cabin-had one where the tenders left from, it was extremely noisy (just the mechanics of it) plus all the crew members getting the tender out. You'll be waking up early those mornings, be sure to have the drapes closed!

Brenda,

When we cruised on the Star Princess last September (Alaska) we had an obstructed view cabin on the Emerald Deck (E-216).

As we looked out our window, we could partially see the lifeboats. There was also a walkway for passengers, but it was below our window - not at the same level. People walked by, but they could NOT see into our cabin (maybe if they had been 12 feet tall they could have)!

It was never a problem or nuisance. We could still see out the window fine. I have a picture of me standing in front of this window in the cabin and if you think it would help you, but email me and I'll send it to you. (depace717@aol.com) Just put "cruise critic" in the subject line, so I know it's one of "us".

Hope this helps!

Diane :cool:

Archived