Panama Canal-Sun or Coral?

Ready to Sail!

We have narrowed our choices down for canal cruise next spring and need to get cruise booked pretty soon. We actually prefer the itinerary of the Sun but know the Coral is a newer ship. We like PC dining and can have that on both. We would appreciate any input, pro and con for choosing one ship over the other. Thanks.

You can't go wrong with either ship. Princess maintains and updates all their ships and from what I've heard the Sun is in great shape. We're going on the Dawn in November and I'm not concerned about the age of the ship. We were on the Island in November, which is sister to Coral, and had a balcony on the Caribe deck. This balcony is larger than most (almost double the size) and if you spend time on a balcony I'd chose this size balcony and ship. The Sun class ships don't have this size balcony. If you're not concerned, or don't want a balcony, I'd go with the itinerary if it's different and you prefer it. Have a great cruise!

I have been on both the Sun and the Coral and they are both great ships. I was on the Coral going through the Panama Canal and you have many opportunities to see the canal workings from your balcony or promenade deck. Even though the Coral is considered a sun class ship I do prefer the Sun Princess. Basically are the same size but there is something about her that I like. In fact we are going on her again next Feb. to the Eastern Carribbean. In my opinion you cannot go wrong in choosing either ship.

Marilyn

Have been on both ships, and think both are very well laid out.

If going for a standard outside or standard balcony cabin, I think I would opt for the Coral, as there is a larger selection available.

If going for a mini-suite, I would go for the Sun Princess. The mini-suites on the Sun Princess are the best designed (my opinion) in the fleet.

The Panama Canal is a wonderful trip.

Enjoy.

Michael

I'm going to disagree with Druke on this one. We loved the mini on the Coral and HATED our AC mini on the Dawn (same as the Sun). I know, I know they're more like the suites on other ships, the Coral included, but we found the bathroom awkward with very inadequate storage and ditto that with drawer space. THe AA suites, however, on the Sun-class ships are devine.

I've done a full transit of the canal on the Sun and I've done the partial transit on the Coral. (we also did the full transit on the Regal for what it's worth). We love the canal trips and find them really nice, interesting and fun. I recommend a full transit over the partial. And I have to admit, even though I'm a huge fan of the Sun-class ships (I don't consider the Coral and Island Sun class ships as they are significantly different with an extra entertainment deck), the Coral is a fantastic ship. She is absolutely beautiful and she has many many options for dining and entertainment. The Sun-class ships though have superior pool areas (much more space and much prettier). You can't go wrong with either!

Have been on the Sun, Dawn and Coral and would sail any of the ships in a heart beat.

The Coral Princess has larger balconies overall (my balcony on the Dawn was very small). The Coral also has a large pool that has a retractable roof which the Sun and Dawn do not have.

I also believe the Sun and Dawn minisuites are better (and larger) but there are fewer of them and they are priced at a premium in most cases. I can afford a minisuite on the Coral but can't on the Sun and Dawn Princess.

I liked both ships but would probably give the edge to the Coral if prices were similiar. If there is a huge price difference - I would go with the more affordable ship.

Wow-thanks for all the input. We do want a balcony but don't feel the need for a mini-suite. Dining options are important so sounds like the Coral might have the edge there. We did look at the Regal but it doesn't have PC dining and we really like that. Our last cruise was this last January on the TP and we missed the PC dining. (Otherwise, wonderful trip!) So, with all that said, my next question is what catagory should we look at on the Coral for a standard room with balcony? I should have mentioned also that yes we are only looking at full transits.

Thanks again for all the help. I have found that I can learn much more from these boards than from any TA!

Almost forgot another important question. We will be going east to west through the Canal. I have been told it is best to be on Port side of ship (to see the mechanics of the locks and other ships from our balcony) Do you agree with this?

Ready to sail,

My DH and I did a full transit -west to east - on the Dawn Princess in October. In my opinion port or starboard does not matter because once at the locks the ship is directed into the next available lock. There are two sets of locks at each stage of the transit and there is a green arrow that directs the ships to either side. Which means that you could be on the port side of the ship and if directed to the port lock there would be no ship on your side. We enjoyed a good deal of the transit from our balcony but made sure to roam about the ship to see views from everywhere. It is an incredible experience and shouldn't be missed.

BTW, if I may suggest David McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas" a wonderful accounting of the building of the canal.

Also, here is the link for our pictures from that cruise.

http://photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw

Enjoy your cruise,

Sharon

As the other posters said, you can't go wrong with either ship.

We have been on the Sea, the Dawn and the Coral and there is one thing that I prefer on the Coral (or Island, her sister ship): the balconies have some kind of glass under the rail, so you can see thru it.

On the Sun class (Sun, Dawn, and soon to return Sea Princess), the balconies have an opening in the hull of the ship. On the Coral, there isn't such a thing.

Besides that, the two ships have many things in common and I love them both !

Alain R.

I have been told it is best to be on Port side of ship (to see the mechanics of the locks and other ships from our balcony) Do you agree with this?

Either side is good... Because you don't know on wich side of the canal you will be...

It depends on the "trafic". When we were on the Coral last January, both sides of the canal were having ships going from the Carribean Sea to Gatun lake in the morning. Our ship was assigned the right lane (but we could have been assigned on the left lane too). On our way back, the ship was again assigned the right lane.

On the other hand, there is not much mechanics to see from the ship. You will see the door locks opened and closed (if you are in the front or the back of the ship); you will see the "mules" (locomotives) on each side of the ship and that's it... If you want to see (and learn) about the mechanic of the canal, you'll have to take a tour...

So, as you can see, it is difficult to tell you on wich side of the ship to book...

Hope this help !

Alain R.

When we did our partial transit, I somehow thought that the Canal 'operators' would find a way to schedule the ship so that each side of the ship had a 'turn' at viewing the canal mechanism from the balconies. I was surprised that we were on the canal side both directions, and I felt sort of bad for the folks on the balconies on the other side of the ship. But, unfortunately, there really is no way to predict which side is "the best."

I second the recommendation to make time to read David McCullough's book. It's well worth the time. It's a great trip, and you'll enjoy it whatever choice you make! :)

By the way, what is the difference between the two itineraries?

I'll take the Coral.. Did the 15 day Panama the Coral last April/May.. Had such a great time and loved the ship so much booked an Alaska cruise on the ship for this September.

As for seeing things when in the canal.. Wander to the rear of the ship. The rear of the Caribe deck on the Coral made for great viewing of both sides of the canal. Very little passangers were there..

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions and thanks to those who shared their pictures. We enjoyed them all. To answer the question reguarding difference of itineraries - one stopped at Ocho Rios and the other didn't.

Well, after all of you were so helpful I'm a little embarassed to say we ended up booking the Regal. DH decided he wanted to go sooner than April (translation: "I would rather be fishing in April") We looked at dates for the Regal and came up with a great price for December. DH said he liked that idea. (translation: "I won't have to put up the Christmas lights if we aren't going to be home") We end up in Ft. Lauderdale on Christmas Eve but have family nearby so we invited ourselves for a visit.

So, I have read lots of reviews of the Regal, some good, some not but other than not being able to have PC dining I think we will enjoy it. We have a balcony on Port side.

We will welcome any thoughts, suggestions and ideas any of you have for our trip through the Canal and about the Regal. We will take your suggestions and read "The Path Between the Seas". Thanks again.

Carol

When we did the transit through the canal on the bow of the Baja and Caribe there are decks that you can going through the canal. The door to these viewing areas are usually locked and for personnel only but on transit days the staff have them opened. We found that out through word of mouth on the ship and also on these boards on the Ports of Call Panama Canal site. I think no matter where or what side you are on you will have every opportunity to see the canal workings. We were all over the ship trying to find opportunities to see what was going on. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Archived