Norfolk In January

Charlie2na

Contemplating Maasdam cruise in Jan. Cruise line wants $150.00 per person to stay one night before cruise!! Has anyone booked their own hotel and hired a taxi to get from airport to hotel then again from hotel to ship ?How far is cruiseport from airport? Departing from Maine or Boston, is one day ahead of departure enough?...... Thanks, clueless

Arriving one day ahead of departure in Maine or Boston is adequate. There is much to see in Boston, so if you want some sightseeing there, I would suggest two days ahead. Don't know too much about Norfolk....there is a large navy base there.

Hi Charlie2na

I did some research on the Norfolk Hotels. If you are flying in, most people recommend the Marriott or the Sheraton downtown since it's near the Nauticus where the ship docks. I'm sailing out of Norfolk in October but am driving in. I will be staying at the Radisson as they have a stay,park & sail package. If I was flying in, I would choise either the Marriott or Sheraton.

Charlie2na,

iluvcruzin gave good advice. We live in Norfolk and can tell you those choices are about the best going for a hotel near the port and downtown. (there is also a Marriott Couryard.) There are other choices further afield, including staying at the Virginia Beach oceanfront (about 25 miles away) but you will have to contend with travel to the cruise pier. If weather is bad, the trip could take a long time but, unless you are trying to make it into downtown between 8 and 9 AM on a weekday, you shouldn't be more than 30-40 minutes by taxi from the oceanfront. There are a couple of decent hotels near the airport - the Hilton and Holiday Inn Select (both on Military Hwy) that may also provide cheaper rates. the trip from there to downtown is only about 10 miles and is all in-town so allow about 30 minutes - more at rush hour (see above). There isn't much near these hotels, though - you'll need transportation to get anywhere, unlike downtown, which has much to offer in walking distance from the Marriotts or the Sheraton.

Can provide you with any other details you may need as I've lived here for 24 years...

(We're sailing on the Massdam in December.)

Happy cruising!

- Kevin

Archived