Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

We've been using Eagle Ray Divers since 1998 and have never found reason to go with any other dive shop when we're in Cozumel. We started with snorkeling and then did Discover Scuba on one trip. We loved it so much that we got our PADI Open Water Certification with them that same trip.

I'd have to look at the log but I believe we're at about 50 or so dives with them and have always had wonderful experiences. The last time we were there (June, '05), I told Antonio that in all the dives we've had with them we've never seen an eagle ray. He promised that before we left Cozumel we would see an eagle ray. And, by golly, that dive we were into it about 10 minutes and he banged his tank, grabbed me by the hand, and showed me the most beautiful, graceful eagle ray. It was amazing! That trip, we also saw a splendid toadfish, an octopus, a nurse shark, turtles, etc.

Antonio is a FABULOUS instructor -- as are the other instructors on his crew. Very patient. Very safety conscious. And, they really do their best to ensure that you're comfortable and enjoying yourself.

I know there are other very good dive shops in Cozumel. We've just never found a reason to leave Eagle Ray Divers. I highly recommend them.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com

ENJOY!!!!

Now that our NCL Dream cruise is over, I wanted to take a moment and recommend a wonderful diving company we booked with. We booked our own tour through Cozumel Cruise Excursions http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/ who set us up on a dive with B & B Divers, owned and operated by a wonderful man named Cheto. Cheto was a great instructor, gave detailed instructions as to what we would need to do on our first dive. He was thorough, informative, and concerned with our safety first and formost. We were driven to the dive location in an airconditioned van, and once onboard our boat, Cheto worked hard to make everyone comfortable with this dive. While I ended up not diving (sorry Cheto...that clausterphobia just kicked in...nothing you did wrong:rolleyes: ) the others in our party gave Cheto high marks in working with those who were new to diving. He was patient, efficient, and proffesional. Our group gives Cheto (see picture) and B & B Divers a huge THUMBS UP!

Carey (left) and our guide Cheto diving in Cozumel

1084661-scuba.JPG

Other operators to consider:

http://www.bluextseadiving.com is my personal favorite. I've gone out with them twice. You'll be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere. They includes lots of little "extras" that you don't miss until you've had them once. Things like soft, dry towels, a parka for between dives when you are riding in the boat wearing a wet wetsuit, and fresh water rinse to get the salt water out of your hair. They don't make you end your dive when someone else is low on air. You get to dive your computer and own air supply, so bottom times aren't limited by others. One thing to know, they are popular and often fill the boat a month or two in advance, so you can't always wait until the last minute and still get a space on the boat. If they are full the owner, Christi, can make a recommendation for another dive operator that would be a good choice.

http://www.divewithalison.com I haven't gone out with Alison, but I have only read many very positive reports about her, so I don't feel bad recommending her operation.

debihen,

My DH and a friend dove with Cheto last year, it was their first dive. He wants me to go with him this year and he wants me to book with Cheto again.

Did you do a boat dive or a shore dive?

Thanks,

Sally

debihen,

My DH and a friend dove with Cheto last year, it was their first dive. He wants me to go with him this year and he wants me to book with Cheto again.

Did you do a boat dive or a shore dive?

Thanks,

Sally

It was a boat dive. Again, I would highly recommend Cheto, he was a wonderful instructor!

Other operators to consider:

www.bluextseadiving.com is my personal favorite. I've gone out with them twice. You'll be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere. They includes lots of little "extras" that you don't miss until you've had them once. Things like soft, dry towels, a parka for between dives when you are riding in the boat wearing a wet wetsuit, and fresh water rinse to get the salt water out of your hair. They don't make you end your dive when someone else is low on air. You get to dive your computer and own air supply, so bottom times aren't limited by others. One thing to know, they are popular and often fill the boat a month or two in advance, so you can't always wait until the last minute and still get a space on the boat. If they are full the owner, Christi, can make a recommendation for another dive operator that would be a good choice.

www.divewithalison.com I haven't gone out with Alison, but I have only read many very positive reports about her, so I don't feel bad recommending her operation.

Ditto ... but in reverse!! We have dove with Alison a number of times, and she's terrific! She's also been very adaptable to our later port arrivals - which many operators are not. Have never had the pleasure of diving with Christi (yet!) - she keeps pretty booked up!

• 2 months later...

I'm booked on the Maria in two weeks. I did the same tour last Sept on the Zorro Catamarran. Same company ran both but the Zorro was lost to Wilma. great tour. I would recommend it! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Clint

If you have a choice between snuba and scuba, I would suggest the latter. In an into scuba class, you aren't tethered to a surface air unit as in snuba.

You'll be breathing underwater either way, which is cool. But you'll have a little freedom of movement with scuba.

D.

If you have a choice between snuba and scuba, I would suggest the latter. In an into scuba class, you aren't tethered to a surface air unit as in snuba.

You'll be breathing underwater either way, which is cool. But you'll have a little freedom of movement with scuba.

D.

I agree with T D Scuba has more freedom of movement than snuba, but snuba is less expensive and probably a good way to go for your first underwater experience. Either is way better than just snorkeling.

I highly recomment Snuba for a first time - getting used to the breathing apparatus and the concept that you're wearing a weight belt is plenty to deal with; much less intimidating in a Snuba experience. Plus, Snuba lets you get started underwater in a pretty quick amount of time; a lot more training on the front-end with Scuba.

Chikin Ha Cenote Cavern Dive.

My husband is interested in this, and he would prefer to use the Cruises dive excursion. So my question, has anyone done this dive because any feedback and information would greatly be appreciated.

I would love to do a Cenoté dive and, since it is on the mainland, doing that excursion thru the ship is a wise idea. Does your ship offer an excursion there. I say definitely, without a doubt, go for it.

Yes Carnival does offer the excursion, doing a dive in the Caymen's and thought maybe the Cenote dive in Cozumel would be different. I have read alot on it and wondered if anyone had done this excursion through Carnival.

Yes Carnival does offer the excursion, doing a dive in the Caymen's and thought maybe the Cenote dive in Cozumel would be different.
Different is an understatement. Diving a Cenoté is unique to the Yucatan coast.

I haven't gone on the Carnival excursion, but I'd trust it to get me back to the ship in time.

Archived