Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

Ron & Connie,

When we were there on the Explorer, we dove with Sand Dollar Sports just south of town (12 mins in a van).

Laura and her staff are super and most of the dives there are drift dives along the edge of the reef and with DM concurrence...YES...down over the wall.

Here's the website to contact them:

http://www.sanddollarsports.net/

Hope this helps you guys. I'm off to Aruba in May to dive the "Antilla" and some reef dives. Keep on bubblin", and...

Ciao for now!!!

One more opinion. Christi at http://www.bluextseadiving.com is my favorite. I understand she has had trouble with scheduling with cruisers because of the tendering, but if you have a group of 4, I think she can accommodate you.

Some other suggestions are http://www.scubatony.com and Raul at http://bottomtimedivers.net/

There are about 70 dive operators on Cozumel and there is no one "best" one. It will depend on what you are looking for in a dive operator. Do you want a 6 pack small operator or a large boat, large group trip?

• 2 weeks later...

A question for all of you Cozumel experts out there ... I'm looking for a place where a couple of people in our party can do a Discover Scuba session while the others relax on the beach. We'd like to stay together if possible. Are there any places that offer Scuba and have a decent beach?

Hey ILCruiser, where in IL are you? I'm a former Central Illinoisan.

Anyway, what you could do is send your beach folks to one of the beaches then take your dive trip and have the boat drop you off at the beach. It's likely some dive shop would be willing.

Try our fave shop, Eagle Ray Divers. They're usually quite acommodating. We've been using them for nearly 10 years now. http://www.eagleraydivers.com

ILCruiser,

I am doing exactly what you are wanting to do in November. We are sending my party of seven to Paradise Beach while me and my wife get our first dive in. We will then dock at Paradise Beach's pier and do our surface break while Alison (http://www.scubawithalison.com) does a Discover Scuba for my BIL and wife's Uncle. We will then go out for our second dive along with BIL/wife's uncle plus one or two who wish to snorkel.

Dave

ILCruiser,

I am doing exactly what you are wanting to do in November. We are sending my party of seven to Paradise Beach while me and my wife get our first dive in. We will then dock at Paradise Beach's pier and do our surface break while Alison (http://www.scubawithalison.com) does a Discover Scuba for my BIL and wife's Uncle. We will then go out for our second dive along with BIL/wife's uncle plus one or two who wish to snorkel.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I will get in touch with Alison and see what she recommends. Have you taken dive excursions with her before?

Thanks, Dave. I will get in touch with Alison and see what she recommends. Have you taken dive excursions with her before?

She is the only one we use in Cozumel. We did our Discover Scuba with her in Nov 04 and got hooked. We came back home and got fully certified. Since then we have dove with her in Sep 05 and then again Jan 06. We have dives scheduled with her in Sept and Oct of this year. She is always very accomodating. Alison will be on vacation August 14th to August 30th.

Dave

Has anyone snorkeled in Dzul Ha recently? Were there many fish?

We plan to rent a car in Cozumel and drive around the island. We either want to include a stop at Dzul Ha for snorkeling or a stop at Chen Rio for swimming. Which would be better?

Any input would be much appreciated!

That is my plan for Coz also. Dzul Ha is my first stop. I heard many times that there is alot of damage by still tons of fish. Where else are you planning to stop? I really need to make plans for this day! Thanks!

We drove around the island a couple of years ago. We went to the Punta Sur ecological park to see the lighthouse first. Then stopped at El Mirador to take pictures. Then we went to Coconuts for lunch. And finally we went to the San Jervasio ruins. It was a full day but lots of fun.

This time we are going to head in the opposite direction and start with the ruins. Then we'll probably stop for lunch at Coconuts again. And after that we'll either go to Chen Rio to swim or head back to the other side and go snorkeling at Dzul Ha, depending on what kind of advice I get here. I think I'd prefer Chen Rio but one of the people in our group wants to snorkel and I didn't think you could snorkel at Chen Rio.

Are there any recent Dzul Ha or Chen Rio visitors out there? Which would you recommend?

Yes, there are still tons of fish at Dzul Ha just not the coral formations as pre-Wilma. As the casual visitor, you might not ever notice a difference in the water. What also really changed was the shoreline. It is ugly...trees gone, more rocks and a bit tricky getting in if you don´t go down to the little facilities.

If you do not have 4wheel drive, you can´t go to Punta Sur. There is no road to speak of anymore that you can go through.

No snorkeling at Chen Rio. Well, you can snorkel along the rock area but it will be hit or miss rather you will see anything or much.

Hope this helps.

Wow, that's too bad about Punta Sur! When we were there 2 years ago, it seemed like they were really working on making it into a nice ecological park. I loved the lighthouse.

I'm glad to hear there are still fish at Dzul Ha.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

We are thinking about trying snorkeling when we visit Cozumel. Is it as good as they say it is? We've only been once, 10 years ago, on our honeymoon, in St. Croix. We were less than impressed. I think we saw one fish. Is it better in Cozumel and where is the best place to go? I was thinking about taking the tour from Paradise Beach. Thanks!

Though less than what it was before Wilma, there are still many good areas for off shore snorkeling near Dzulha,palmar, Uvas and up near coral princess(just to name a few)...the best snorkeling is by boat...Paradise beach and playa palancar are two that offer trips to the reef...I always bring my own mask and snorkel. also "search' this forum for lots of threads on the snorkeling.

Hope this helps.

We are thinking about trying snorkeling when we visit Cozumel. Is it as good as they say it is? We've only been once, 10 years ago, on our honeymoon, in St. Croix. We were less than impressed. I think we saw one fish. Is it better in Cozumel and where is the best place to go? I was thinking about taking the tour from Paradise Beach. Thanks!
Hola hokie,

Pre- Wilma we saw zillions of fish at Chankanabb Park. I even have a couple of Barracuda pictures and my DW (Miss Ginger) got pictures of an Octopus when we were at Calica. It is hard believe that the water is so clear. We saw a few small fish at Paradise Beach, but you need to take their reef tour for the good stuff.

I am interested in discover scuba diving offered in Cozumel. We will be in Cozumel in Dec. It says that we can be taken 40 feet down under the water. Not sure how cold the water will be. Will we have to wear wetsuit? Or a piece of full body swimsuit will be good enough? Thanks.

For discovery scuba, you won't go below 40'. I'm going to Cozumel to dive myself in Aug. From all the research, the water temps are low 80s, and doesn't change much 100' down. In the summer swim suit is good enough. However, for people who get cold easily, 3mm full is the most they need, and that's if doing multiple dives and staying underwater for a long time.

I can tell you that the water temp in Cozumel the last 2 Decembers had been below 80, 78-79 to be exact. The first year I got cold in my 3 mm full suit, so last year I bought a 5/4 mm full suit that fit well. I was warm and toasty on every dive. Also, last year I dived with 2 DM's. The first one didn't like wearing a wetsuit at all, so he didn't, while the second DM thought the first one was loco. You see, it all depends on an individuals perception of what they think is cold. I regularly dive in water that is in the mid to upper 40's and plenty of people think that is cold, but I'm comfortable in my drysuit, but water temperature in the low 80's is cold for me so I always wear a wetsuit, always. I have never been too warm on a dive.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you are like me, get a wetsuit. If you have a higher tolerance to being cold, just wear a swimsuit and a shirt of some kind as a rash guard. No one but you can tell you if you need a wetsuit or not.

Archived