WESTERDAM Secrets that you need to know:

a1moty

Before we went to Alaska on Zaandam someone had posted a thread regarding the secrets you needed to know before sailing on that ship.

I believe it was Revneal that told us how to get out to the very front of the ship (through the curtains in the theatre) for the best view at Glacier Bay.

We are leaving soon on Westerdam, again to Alaska---

so are there any secrets that you could share about WESTERDAM?

Many thanks!

I can't be sure because my first Alaska cruise on HAL is still a few months away, but I have heard that when at the glaciers, the forward decks are open. These would be the viewing spaces on Decks 4,5,6 and 7. Another little secret that a lot of people don't seem to find is the open deck space forward of the gym on deck 9. It's a great vantage point on the ship!

Could someone remind me--

Hair dryers and shampoo in the cabins?

Yes on both. The newer hairdryers are quite powerful; there should be no need to bring your own.

There are two brands of toiletries still in use. The Royal Dutch has a shampoo/conditioner combination. In the newer Elemis products they are separate. Both brands are fine, IMHO.

We felt the best blace was deck 5. Go all the way forward and you will get to what looks like a locked door. it will opena nd you can go out. Not crowded at all.

We read that the Crows Nest was a good place. Seemed great. It was warm and comfy. Then the smoking started. I had to leave. Many people wandered in and left due to the heavy smoke. Walkie talkies came in handy. I called my husband( who was out on deck) to let him know we had to leave.

I had read that the hair dryers were new and powerful. Maybe for some people. I would bring my own. It took me twice as long to dry my hair. I have thick hair. It also took twice as long to do my children's hair ( which is not thick).

You will have a blast. We did.

We felt the best blace was deck 5. Go all the way forward and you will get to what looks like a locked door. it will opena nd you can go out. Not crowded at all.

Here's a "newbie" question...Is deck 5 the fifth deck up from the bottom of the ship (the Verandah Deck?) Or is it the fifth deck down from the top of the ship? I'm guessing it's the fifth deck from the bottom of the ship (the Verandah Deck), but when I look at this floor on the Westerdam's deck plans, I'm not sure if that area is open to all of the passengers or if that area is considered part of the two forward suites' verandahs. Can anyone make sense of my question :o and give me some info on the forward deck on the Verandah Deck (and perhaps also the Upper Verandah Deck and Rotterdam Deck?) We'll have a lovely verandah on the Wdam going to the S. Carribean, but I like the thought of having a (relatively) uncrowded spot to take in the sailaway from Fort Lauderdale. TIA!

Amy

On the Westerdam the decks are numbered from the bottom up. Main Deck is the first passenger deck and the cabins are numbered in the 1000s. They go "up" from there. Lower Prom and Prom decks are public decks, with lounges and such. Then, Upper Prom through Navigation are all cabin decks.

11-Sports

10-Observation

9-Lido

8-Navigation

7-Rotterdam

6-Upper Verandah

5-Verandah

4-Upper Promenade

3-Promenade

2-Lower Promenade

1-Main

Sartorial Wit--Thanks for the clarification regarding how the decks are numbered.

As far as my question about the forward decks being open to all passengers, Atomica answered that for me in a ppost near the beginning of this thread. Oops! Somehow I missed that post. :o Now I know!

I can't be sure because my first Alaska cruise on HAL is still a few months away, but I have heard that when at the glaciers, the forward decks are open. These would be the viewing spaces on Decks 4,5,6 and 7. Another little secret that a lot of people don't seem to find is the open deck space forward of the gym on deck 9. It's a great vantage point on the ship!

We just came back from Glacier Bay on Westerdam's twin sister Zuiderdam. They gave careful directions for reaching the forward viewing area on Deck 4 (I think you go all the way forward on the starboard side and through a door, or something like that) and the ship's naturalist was up there the entire time along with a Park Ranger, broadcasting through the ship's TVs.

Zuiderdam cruised into the right arm of the bay in such an orientation that the port side was toward Margerie glacier during the approach. She then turned so that the starboard side faced first Grand Pacific and then Margerie, and held that position for about an hour. So in fact, probably the starboard side was the best place to be in Glacier Bay.

(We were sitting pretty on a starboard side suite balcony! To see our pics, go to http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html )

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

Archived