Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco???

BURWASHT

I was just woundering if any one has stayed at the Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco? Is it far from the ports and what about shopping?

Never stayed, but lived in San Fran for a couple of years and know where it is. You are walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf attractions including 'Pier 39' - Google it for details (pier39.com). This is the main tourist hang out / trap in San Fran .... The locals HATE it. But as a temp resident, I took all visiting relatives....aka tourists....there. Walking distance to the Alcatraz tour boats....

OK - useful info.... the piers are numbered along the shore. Pier 39 is just a few #'s from the cruise ship piers.....pier 35 being the primary loading point.

If you want to be near shopping stay at a hotel on or near Union Square. You will also be close to Chinatown. One of the few places you can eat cheap. The pier is not too far. Cab fare should be way less than $20. San Francisco is not a very large city. In most areas taxis are easy to find. If you take public transportation including the cable cars watch your wallet / purse / backpack. Pickpockets are often a problem.

You can easily get around the city on buses, trolleys and vintage street cars. Locals do it all the time. With parking at a premium many do not own a car.

Lived there for a while - still love to visit.

Union Square is a long walk to Fishermans Wharf. There are old style street cars that run on Market St (an easy walk from Union Sq). The street cars will take you to the start of Fishermans Wharf. On Market St by Union Sq there are many more stores. Save your feet for walking around the sights. Public transportation is very good in the city.

Look for a Walgreens or one of the cable car ticket boths and see if you can buy a 'transit map'. Used to be $2. This shows where all those buses and street cars go. If you are doing a lot of bus riding you can buy an all day pass - good for the buses streetcars and cable cars.

If you want to go to Alcatraz make reservations before you go. They often sell out or you may end up with a bad time of day. Keep a light jacket or sweater with you San Francisco can get chilly when the winds blow off the bay. We used to watch the tourist buying fleeces in Julyand August.

Hubby and I stayed at the Tuscany Inn in Sept 2005 after a short 3 days cruise down the coast. We were very happy. Short walk from the ship and to Pier 39. Hotel was very neat and clean. Rooms on the smaller side but very nicely decorated. I would definately stay there again and would recommend it to family. The hotel will schedule a shuttle to the airport but I'm not sure of the cost. It was very reasonable and would also do that again.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Duck. We just returned and stayed at this hotel. The rooms are on the small side, but still OK. They are decorated very nice, with new furniture. The location is great. In the AM they have a complementrary cont. breakfast, and wine and cheese around 5:00. The lobby is quite inviting, and a guest services to help you with any plans.

If the original poster is still around, I can post some pictures of the hotel. Just let me know.

I have just booked the Tuscan Inn for a post cruise stay in December. I chose it because it seemed to get the most favorable reviews. Also, the price was moderate and it seems to be located where we want to be. ANy other input on this hotel would be appreciated. :)

Our experience there last year was also good. We opted for a slightly smaller inward facing room which was an excellent decision as we slept so well both nights (even though I was excited about the cruise!) Came out on the Saturday morning and the Infinity was towering over San Francisco just at the end of the street. We ate a lovely meal the night before sailing at McCormcik and Kuletos in Ghiradelli Sq - about 8 mins walk. The concierge made reservations for us and got us a bay view table which was perfect. I think Tuscan Inn is a good price for San Francisco - we got it through Priceline and were very happy indeed with it

We stayed there 2 nights back in May prior to our Alaskan cruise. Overall the hotel is very nice and the staff very friendly and helpful. I don't recommend the rooms on the side street facing the small shopping mall. Very noisy and upon returning from dinner found black ants crawling all over the wall and windows.

They were very attentive about changing our room and the only thing that was bothersome with the new room was the huge spider on the bedspread. My mom and I couldn't stop laughing...after the long drive there, my husband forgetting to put my makeup case in the car, the ants, who cares about the spider (besides it wasn't on my bed):D

Hope you enjoy.

Tuscan Inn at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, has anyone ever stayed here? The hotel looks to be in a good spot and the price is right BUT is it a good hotel?
It's absolutely wonderful! If it's still as nice as it was about a year ago, you'll really like it. The rooms are small, but so what! The beds are to die for. The concierge is very helpful. There's a little cafe right through the lobby that has excellent house-made granola. The hotel is about a block from Fisherman's Wharf, about 4-5 from Piers 35 (where you ship will probably be docking) and Pier 39. Yes, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 are touristy, but so what--you're on vacation. Enjoy! Use the cable cars to get into the core shopping area (Union Square) or take the historic streetcars that do a turnaround just west of Pier 39 and go along Market Street.

Is it best to stay in Fisherman's Wharf or near Union Square??? The wife loves to shop, so we were thinking may be the Hilton???

It is better to stay near Fisherman's wharf, Lots more inexpensive shopping than at Union Square, if you want to go to Union Square for a few hours to shop, just walk up the street and get on the trolley, it will take you to Union Square.

Little Italy, North Beach, Ghiradelli square, Lombard St. and china town are in walking distance, your hotel front desk can give you a walking map.

I am in San Francisco every weekend and will only stay down by the Wharf now days because of all the different things to see and do.

The Tuscan inn is good, so is Radisson, but its more expensive, if you go up 1 block, the Holiday inn express is very nice also.

Stay at a hotel near Union Square. The 'shopping' by fishermans wharf is tourist stuff. Union Square has fabulous shopping. The Macy's womens store has an unbelievable selection of everything - shoes, clothes, evening dresses. And if you are into higher end Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth are around the corner for Tiffany. Of course Nordstroms is 2 blocks away on Market St.

The better restaurants are not at the pier. They are scattered around the city - close by bus or taxi. The pier is not that far from Union Square but Un Sq is more centrally located to more stuff. Chinatown (walk to it) - North Beach (1 very crowded bus).

If you have time Beach Blanket Babylon is a fun show. (But our favorite band plays Friday nites and Sunday nites at the 'oldest' bar in San Francisco). Its called The Saloon - there maybe a cover charge of $5 or $10 on the weekends. Johnny Nitro - does funky blues and he can play the guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a website where you can buy tickets for the Alcatraz tour. It is advisable to buy them in advance as the boats can fill up and you may not get the time you want. I don't know how old you are but there are Senior discounts.

Febuary can be chilly - layer your clothes - windbreaker type things come in handy.

Finally, got around to completing our portion of our picture review. This section is San Francisco, with pictures of the Tuscan Inn on the first page. Click on the California button on the front page.

http://www.JUSTCRUISIN-SV.COM

Wow, Smoothdancer: I work in San Francisco and cross the Golden Gate Bridge twice a day. Your San Francisco trip review made even me want to visit San Francisco!

Archived