Trip time to Mendenhall Glacier

wdblake

How does it take to get to Mendenhall Glacier by land? We are arriving at 1:30pm and going with Capt. Larry at 4:30. Just curious if we have enough time to squeeze in Mendenhall as well. Thanks!

The busses run fairly constantly from near the Mt. Roberts Tram and take about 20 minutes each way. A question I don't know the answer to is this - I know Capt Larry will drop you off at Mendenhall after his whale watching but will they also pick you up there before his tour? You would have to contact them to find out, but if so I think this cuts out 45 minutes or more of backtracking.

For clairfication, Orca Enterprises with either pick you up at Mendenhall PRIOR to your whale watch or drop off AFTER your whale watch. The other direction you take a shuttle bus to/from downtown. It takes 20 mins. but add on wait time, which can be significant. I've been in line at Mendenhall for a return bus that had a wait through 3 buses. So never cut you time too short. If needed there is a taxi line.

For clairfication, Orca Enterprises with either pick you up at Mendenhall PRIOR to your whale watch or drop off AFTER your whale watch. The other direction you take a shuttle bus to/from downtown. It takes 20 mins. but add on wait time, which can be significant. I've been in line at Mendenhall for a return bus that had a wait through 3 buses. So never cut you time too short. If needed there is a taxi line.

do you know what the charge is for Orca to drop us at Mendenhall after our whale watch??

I think I would like to see the Mt. Roberts Tram, the Mendenhall Glacier and if time, Glacier Gardens while in Juneau. (I think I am the only person not going on Larry's whale watching expedition, but my hubby wants an excursion-free day, and this is it...) He would also like to visit the brewery- in order to minimize backtracking, what should we plan to do first, etc; Thanks!:) Is public transportation an option for these areas, or should we plan on a taxi?

We are scheduled to have Orca Enterprises shuttle us out to Mendenhall and then pick us up from there and take us on the whale watch. The cost is $12 which I think is the same as the shuttle from town.

I think I would like to see the Mt. Roberts Tram, the Mendenhall Glacier and if time, Glacier Gardens while in Juneau. (I think I am the only person not going on Larry's whale watching expedition, but my hubby wants an excursion-free day, and this is it...) He would also like to visit the brewery- in order to minimize backtracking, what should we plan to do first, etc; Thanks!:) Is public transportation an option for these areas, or should we plan on a taxi?

Fit in the tram when you want either first or last. I would take a shuttle to Mendenhall- $6, then a cab to Glacier Gardens then another cab to the brewery, then a cab to downtown.

IF you are in port all day, you can take the city bus, but this takes a significant amount of time due to infrequent schedules. The city bus stop from Mendenhall is also a mile away from the Visitor Center.

Archived