Question about Aft rooms.....

I was wondering.... how do you like aft rooms? I've heard that the balcony's are much larger but how is the ride? Do you feel much motion? Do you hear any noises from below, like engine noises? Are the rooms any larger? and.... does anyone have any pictures of an aft cabin and balcony on any of the RCI ships?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

We love the large aft balconies! If you are prone to feeling the ship movement then you will no matter where you are. We don't have any problems with it so we don't notice.

Sometimes we hear the crew having parties but that doesn't bother us and you can't hear it in your cabin if you shut the door. The rooms aren't any larger than the others, just the balconies are bigger.

My friend and I have a corner aft on deck six booked, a few people said that we have the biggest balcony on the ship, also said they didnt have any smells or noises and that we will love it. I cannot wait to find out.

My friend and I have a corner aft on deck seven booked, a few people said that we have the biggest balcony on the ship, also said they didnt have any smells or noises and that we will love it. I cannot wait to find out.

We had an aft js on the explorer. I hear all the time that people love it and that they would never have any other room.

Well, I beg to differ, we did not care for the aft. There was a constant vibration all the time and there were a few days that we hit rough seas, and my girls could not even stay in the room because it swayed sooo much. I guess it all depends on how well you like the movement. Personally, I would rather not feel the ship move. Also, there were times at night you could really hear the engines, and there is more movement at nighttime because the ship seems to go faster.

The next cruise we book in another year will be in the middle of the ship. I could not even imagine how bad the room would feel in a real storm, we only had rain and felt it. Also, there is no breeze on the balcony. When we went to other people's rooms, there balconies had a wonderful breeze, not the aft.

Sometimes we hear the crew having parties but that doesn't bother us and you can't hear it in your cabin if you shut the door.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't understand why you had noise from the crew having parties.

I was wondering.... how do you like aft rooms?
Love 'em
I've heard that the balcony's are much larger but how is the ride?
MUCH larger. Ride is excellent. Whoopie!
Do you feel much motion?
Nope
Do you hear any noises from below, like engine noises?
Nope
Are the rooms any larger?
Nope
and.... does anyone have any pictures of an aft cabin and balcony on any of the RCI ships?
http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

We just were on the Enchantment in am aft JS on Deck 7. We could feel the movement of the ship, but you should feel yourself move at 22 knots. It was more relaxing than anything. The balcony was HUGE. It was so nice to have the extra space.

We're on page 4 and 5 of that link from Mariner 7692. LOVED it. Booked the same cabin on Navigator this year but then decided to go for a GS.

We felt NO motion, but felt no motion the whole week, had glorious weather and were on a much larger ship than we'd sailed before (DCL before). We did kind of sense the engines but it was like white noise. Since we sleep at home w/fans on, we enjoyed it. It's not loud enough to hear but more of a background thing that you especially notice when they're off.

We all slept so well that our son, who regularly wakes up at 6:40 a.m. EVERY day of the year, woke us up one morning and when we saw it was 9:00 a.m.!!! we couldn't believe it.

We have been lucky enough to stayed in aft cabins on our last three cruises and them to be very good cabins their was no norise from the engine no heavy motion only draw back was balcony can get very hot,still would take this type of cabin when ever i could get one.

We were just on Explorer JS aft deck 10...LOVED it is all I can say. We've been on 10 cruises and this was the first time we got an AFT balcony (per advise of these boards). We will say we are hooked now. We had no extra motion, we had no noise problems, we had no soot problems...what we did have was...a 144 sq.ft HUGE balcony, gorgeous sunset views, and a cabin to remember!! On our next cruise we are taking our 3 children, so cannot afford two balcony cabins...so in lieu of us having an AFT cabin...I am MAKING my parents book it on Mariner so we can all come hang out on their huge AFT balcony this time.

I do know this...avoid deck 6 AFT balconies...view into crew area.

We love the aft cabins as well. Love the fact that our balcony was huge and had 2 chaise lounge chairs, 2 chairs and a table with plenty of space left. We didn't have any movement problems or problems with noise. We were on deck 8 on the Jewel. We also have an aft cabin booked for the Freedom in November.

The crew has a small outside area that you can see from your aft cabin. Probably not on deck 6. This is where they enjoy a few minutes of off time, make a call, etc. The noise was NOT a problem at all and didn't disturb us at all.

• 3 years later...

I picked up our travel docs today and our room is aft side, room 7668; next to the last deluxe suite. Anyone have any experience with this room? I'm ordering patches for sea sickness just in case! Someone told me there would be more pitching in this area, not so much rolling but pitching.

Motion - Sorry, I just need to jump in here. I love the afts on the Radiance class (never had a Voyager aft, but that type of view wouldn't interest me). BUT, as great as the afts are, the motion can be considerably worse in the aft. The motion is not the same throughout the ship and there were times when there was crazy motion in the aft, but if we walked to the centrum, it was much better.

HOWEVER, this was in seas where there was motion everywhere. In light/normal seas there is no noticable motion in the aft anymore than anywhere else. However, in rough seas, the aft can be really bad. IF you don't get motion sickness then who cares. If you do, well, then you would probably get it no matter where you were on the ship in rough seas. I just want to let you know that it can be worse in the aft.

I think this will largely depend on which way the waves are coming at the ship. I'm not a physics major, but it seemed that when the waves were coming at a slight to moderate angle not only is the ship rocking, but the waves are pushing the ship off course slightly and the aft is where that course correction occurs. So there was, in our case this one time, a lot of sort of sliding if you will in the aft. I loved it, but I don't get sea sick.

I agree---there is a vibration that annoyed the hell out of me. Some folks don't mind it---you won't know til you try, I guess.

There's not alot of wind aft...so if it's hot out, your balcony can be broiling....

We prefer a location midships and close to the stairs and elevators...those trips back and forth to the aft cabins get old really fast!

We were just on Explorer JS aft deck 10...LOVED it is all I can say. We've been on 10 cruises and this was the first time we got an AFT balcony (per advise of these boards). We will say we are hooked now. We had no extra motion, we had no noise problems, we had no soot problems...what we did have was...a 144 sq.ft HUGE balcony, gorgeous sunset views, and a cabin to remember!! On our next cruise we are taking our 3 children, so cannot afford two balcony cabins...so in lieu of us having an AFT cabin...I am MAKING my parents book it on Mariner so we can all come hang out on their huge AFT balcony this time.

I do know this...avoid deck 6 AFT balconies...view into crew area.

Do you have any pics of the cabin? I'm booked in 1694 on Explorer and would love to see some! If so, could you email them to me at countrygirl4320 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Had my first aft last Sept. and loved it! Aft every time now for me! I loved the long walk back to our room. I didn't feel so guilty about all the food I ate since I had to walk a lot! Motion wasn't any worse than anywhere else on days that were rough. We felt no vibration. The huge balcony is awsome.

I guess I'm in the minority. We had an aft cabin on the AOS. I found it to be larger than other balconys which was good but the bad out weighed the good in my opinion. It seemed like a very long walk back to the cabin, the lack of a breeze made the balcony very warm at times, we couldn't see where we were going, only where we had been. The view on the AOS was also obstucted by the superstructure of the ship.

http://home.comcast.net/~dave.williams5/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

There was also the issue of the crew deck below the balcony. The crew would gather there at all times of day or night and the lack of privacy was a bit annoying for me. The crew deck was also brightly lit 24/7. Forget about star gazing or a dark romantic interlude with your sweetie. I won't book an aft cabin again. Thats just my preference.

Just got back from the Enchantment & had Aft Cabin 8172 we loved the larger balcony...but it was VERY hot so we really didn't spend as much time out there as we'd hoped to.. and occasionally we heard music from the Spotlight lounge..not overly loud..but it surprised me cause we had the cabin next door a few years ago & never heard a thing from the lounge..

Oh & anyone who has this cabin in the near future...we got new carpet in there last Wed...:D

SeaScout- I have to agree with you.

We were in an aft balcony on the AOS this past May. We loved the size of the balcony but the furniture was covered in black soot and mildew. I had to ask several times to have the furniture cleaned because it was so dirty you could not sit on it. I finally had to get the concierge to come to my cabin and she could not believe how dirty it was. Needless to say, we had new furniture that day plus a dessert tray with an apology.

We were on deck nine so the lights from the crew area really didn't bother any of us. I personally would not book an aft cabin again but I am glad I was able to stay in one.

Archived