Need help about Antigua? I'm your guy

Antigua-Guy

Antigua Guy,

You suggested Long Bay for a good beach to snorkel and you mentioned a hotel there for eating etc. A couple of questions if you don't mind

1. What is the best way to get there and what is the cost (family of 5)?

2. Is there any problem with using the Hotels facilities and is there acost associated with it (obviously you pay for food and drinks etc. but are there other costs?)?

3. Is transportation easy to get? We almost missed a ships sailing once because we had trouble getting a taxi.

Thanks for your help!

Rigger

We were at Anitgua in Jul 2005, avoiding hurricaine Emily. There were rain clouds all around and found a driver who recommended "across the island" as best chance to avoid storms.

1.) I know we passed new cricket stadium area that was to be built.

2.) Arrival area had a small asphalt loop for cars and you were literally on the beach then.

3.) In drop of area was a sign amongst tall palm "Antigua", as walked onto beach it had a palm tree leaning and growing right thru a hotel sign.

4.) As went onto beach a restaurant (with feet washing area) on right, and much rockier shore for snorkeling, on far left a few vendor stalls.

5) Tell tale vendor for chairs etc was an aqua shack saying "Lifes a Beach on it"

Is this Long Beach???? IF not any guesses please. Thanks.

I found this description of Long Bay on a website.

"Long Bay Sitting at the end of the road, if you head through Willikies and beyond, passing Devil’s Bridge to your right. On your left is the Allegro Resort Pineapple Beach, a popular all inclusive resort which offers day passes to non-residents. Long Bay enjoys still waters and superb bathing. Just a short swim to the reef, to which the bay owes it protection, will give some fine snorkelling. A good beach for families with young children, it is well worth packing a picnic. To your right is delightful Long Bay Hotel, with superb bathing, beach and snorkelling plus they offer excellent beachside lunches and a great old fashioned Caribbean bar. The stylish colourful resort of Mango Bay sits between both these hotels, on the bluff. As a non-resident, you can take advantage of a full inclusive day pass."

Hi AG, DW and I are interested in real estate in Antigua for a possible retirement/vacation home. Just wondering if you could point us in the right direction to get someone to show us the island's areas of development and land/homes available. We'll only be there for the day so would need to see as much as possible fairly quickly. Thank you! :)

Thanks for the great information.

We have been to Antigua and have ridden the local buses to Spring Hill Stables.

I know that the buses run to English Harbor, but does it run all of the way to Nelson's Dockyard?

We are thinking that we would like to hike, but were wondering how closely the bus gets to Nelson's Dockyard.

Thanks,

I'm back! Ok

Here we go…

Yep you guys are talking about long bay. Cost should be about US$24 round trip per person. Have your cab driver come back at a designated time to ensure a round trip journey since it is such a far away beach. Work out a deal where you pay full upon return. that way he gets a full fare and u get a confirmed pick up.

the buses to english harbour take you only a short walk from the dockyard. don't expect the buses to be air conditioned and they may get a bit cramped! if you want to hike ask the girls at the entrance gate about the HIKE TO PIGEON POINT BEACH, starting at the hills behind the dockyard and ending up at pigeon point beach. there are white dots along the route to follow. it is very scenic, with great views of english harbour from some abaondoned forts. I always wondered why this route is not more popular?

clothing optional beaches depend on how many drinks you've had. have fun in finding them by trial and error!

i don't know too much about Antigua Premier tours to be honest, they are quite new. if no news is good news go for it.

i will have to look into a reputable real estate contact for you and let you know asap.

i gotta run now guys, hope i was helpful!!!

Antigua Guy,

Thanks so much for the information.

As far as clothing optional beaches, the only one that I have heard of in Antigua is at Hawksbill Resort. One of the five beaches there is supposed to be CO.

Thanks again for the info.

We're considering a day pass to the Grand Royal Antiguan Resort at Deep Bay. Is this a nice resort (looks good on its website)? About how much should a taxi cost from where the cruise ships dock? Is there good snorkelling off the beach?

How would this resort compare to the Jolly Beach Resort?

Thanks.

thanks Antigua Guy, that was Long Beach we went to last July 2005. It was virtually empty (perhaps the rain clouds scared people away.) Our (private- no vest) driver was Keithley Roberts and picked up and dropped off as promised.

I found an Antigua website that if you click on photo of beach will pan the area. I hope to get more photos of our cruise posted soon.

http://www.longbayhotel.com/beach.html We did not use hotel facilities, but if had stayed longer at beach may have eaten lunch there.

thanks Antigua Guy, that was Long Beach we went to last July 2005. It was virtually empty (perhaps the rain clouds scared people away.) Our (private- no vest) driver was Keithley Roberts and picked up and dropped off as promised.

I found an Antigua website that if you click on photo of beach will pan the area. I hope to get more photos of our cruise posted soon.

http://www.longbayhotel.com/beach.html We did not use hotel facilities, but if had stayed longer at beach may have eaten lunch there.

Thanks for the information....do you recall how long of a taxi ride this was from the ship?

Buffetfan,

It looks like Long Bay would be a good place to spend the day! What was the cost of your taxi? We are a family of 5.

Thanks for the info!

Rigger

We were approached by many "official" taxi people with laminated boards and wanted just to go to the beach. We walked to the back area, and found a man willing to do just that. We negotiated a price of $20 per person round trip for 3 people. (We were the only ones) However, after doing this he proceeded to walk us over to one of his buddies in a less than stellar car taxi (No a/c). We clearly stated we wanted an air conditioned van. After much thought, he said he'd do it himself. So be strict on bargaining and only do what you want. Our driver gave us his cell number and time he would be back (don't pay him until end of trip). The half hour ride across included an authentic, sincere narrative (they LOVE their home) and described the new world cricket stadium being built, local sites, and lots of goats--these animals are pets yet run wild during the day and return at night -they are very revered by drivers. We did get a spot of rain and decided to have another driver in taxi loop call him on his cell. Everyone knows everyone! He then in a cloud of dust came down the road. He took us on way back to see Devil's Bridge -neat site, however would not pay to take a taxi just to see it. Like the photos I did take of it though.

Beach: 2 chairs and umbrella $20 I recall--the man from "Life's a Beach" was relentless about us renting one, he watched chairs like a hawk. Finally broke down and rented one to keep stuff off sand. Very nice, quiet area. Bring your own snorkel gear, not sure what Beach Shack rents. We played with a waterproof football. Would head there again although this time taking Eli's tour recommended here also.

I have photos of beach, and once I find a way to post will add a link to this thread. -buffetfan.

Hello Antigua Guy,

I enjoy all the information you have given. I now need some help with renting a car for are family of 4. We are looking forward to see Antigua, we have never been there and heard it is beautiful. We will be coming from the crown princess ship and docking at the Heritage Quay Port (Is this near St.John's Bay?) We want to rent a car to go to runaway bay beach and do some sight seeing. Is there a Hertz rent a car nearby that when we get of the ship we can rent a car? If so What area is it in because Antigua seems to have a few hertz rent a cars. Also how easy is it to park near the beach and do you have to pay for parking? Is there any part of Antigua that is not safe? Any help would be great- Or from anyone!! There is not much on the threads about this subject. Thank you very much!!:) :)

Mister, I am so glad to find you. My daughter is getting married in Antigua this December, at a Sandals. We (my husband & I) are going. It will be just the four of us. We wanted to stay at a different place. How can I find what is near. She is my only child, she wants me there and I want to be there. We are very close, but I don't want to intrude. I hope you understand what I have clumsily tried to say. Thanx Donna

clockgirl, there are several places to stay near the sandals that would be good for you. Of course each resort is a little different. I would suggest looking into the following to see what best fits your needs and budget:

Tradewinds Hotel, The Rex Halcyon, Antigua Village, Siboney, Dickenson Bay Cottages, and Blue Waters. These are all pretty close and vary in price.

Cruise Critic is good for cruise info but if you want more specific antigua info with good hotel info, then please check http://www.antigua-barbuda.org and even goto their message board which has good info as well. Good luck. I am sure everything will be fine.

One other thing i suggest is to ask on their message board about the resort u eventually pick. There will always be people who stayed there recently who would be happy to give info.

We will be in Antigua for the day on our 12/3-12/10 cruise aboard the NCL Jewel.

It has been a long time since I have been to your beautiful island (way back when I was single!!) and was wondering if you could point us in the right direction.

We are traveling with our son who will be 23 months old then, and would like to spend some time at the beach and then have lunch. My husband was born in Guyana and he loves Caribbean cooking. He particular likes to order whole fish.

Can we do both on one beach? If so, which one do you recommend?

Thanks,

Linda

Archived