Dress Code questions

Burks126

My family and I will be on the Fantasy 8-14-06. We're all very excited, as this will be our first cruise on Carnival. Wife and I sailed Windjammer Barefoot several years ago and loved it:)

I am confused about the dress code though. I realize formal night means just that, formal. We will be putting the kids in camp Carnival for that night. The other nights though have me somewhat perplexed. We have assigned seating in the dining room at a specific time. I understand the dining room to be "business casual." Is this correct? What if we skip our assigned seating, and do the buffet? Can we do this in shorts and tees?

Can one come away from the pool and sit down to the buffet? How about breakfast, and lunch. Do the same rules apply?

We're not real "dress up for dinner types" which explains our love of the Windjammer experience, but we want to have ourselves and our children dressed appropriately.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback, these boards have been very helpful thus far.

My family and I will be on the Fantasy 8-14-06. We're all very excited, as this will be our first cruise on Carnival. Wife and I sailed Windjammer Barefoot several years ago and loved it:)

I am confused about the dress code though. I realize formal night means just that, formal. We will be putting the kids in camp Carnival for that night. The other nights though have me somewhat perplexed. We have assigned seating in the dining room at a specific time. I understand the dining room to be "business casual." Is this correct? What if we skip our assigned seating, and do the buffet? Can we do this in shorts and tees?

Can one come away from the pool and sit down to the buffet? How about breakfast, and lunch. Do the same rules apply?

We're not real "dress up for dinner types" which explains our love of the Windjammer experience, but we want to have ourselves and our children dressed appropriately.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback, these boards have been very helpful thus far.

On most ships, you do not need to be dressed up to dine in the cafe but

they frown upon swim wear (and some ships do not allow swim wear at all in the cafes) The dining room dress code is: men- casual dress like dockers and polo shirts Women- nice pants and shirt or dress/skirts also, men cannot wear tank tops or shorts in the dining room.

I would say "resort casual", not business casual.

A short cruise on Carnival will be pretty casual with the gals in sun dress, skirt, etc., guys in Tommy Bahama, golf shirts and slacks.

Generally, the buffet in the daytime is very casual with shorts, cover up over a (not wet) bathing suit, etc. I have never chosen the buffet for dinner but on Carnival you would be fine with a nice pair of shorts and collared shirt.

No shorts in the dining room, for men Dockers and a polo shirt works great. You can t-shirt and short it in the buffet.

I know this can seem stressful, but it's not really. My kids wear (boys) kaki pants most nights with a nice polo type shirt and boat shoes. They look so cute like that too. They really enjoy it, except for mom going, "Awww, look how cute"

But I have seen all types and rarely will they decline to seat someone. I have seen shorts in the dining rooms on almost all of the ships I have been on and typically they are only turned away on the formal nights. Casual nights you can wear shorts however.

But I have seen all types and rarely will they decline to seat someone. I have seen shorts in the dining rooms on almost all of the ships I have been on and typically they are only turned away on the formal nights. Casual nights you can wear shorts however.

I will not dispute that some folks get away with shorts in the main dining room on this line, however, Carnival clearly states that shorts are "not permitted" in the dining room at dinner.

Enough said.:)

Yes, you can, but I certainly question why you would want to. You are paying for the whole cruise, the evening dinners in the dining room are a big part of the experience.

Believe me, on a shorter cruise, people will not get that dressed up for dinner. The first night and last night, I'm sure many push the envelope and wear shorts to dinner. So, you have formal night and two others to think about. One pair of slacks (chinos or khaki) would suffice for both casual evenings, with a Hawaiian style shirt or a collared polo style shirt and is not really that dressed up. You will probably come back here after your cruise and state that you wonder why you worried at all about clothing.

However, I'm the sort who avoids the buffet any time I can and only go there when I have no other choice. I love to be served, don't care for do-it-myself, waiting in lines and eating food other people have been pawing through. Some argue the food is the same, I see a big difference. Some argue the dining room takes longer and it can, if you care to linger.

You can eat at the buffet in a swimsuit, as long as you have on shoes and a cover up (t-shirt for example). I'm not sure of yur exact ship, but many even have a pool side grill where you don't even have to do that.

Archived