Car Rental Locations in Honolulu

Giantfan13

I went to the Thrifty site and inquired about renting a car in Honolulu. They show 2 other locations besides the Airport.

WAIKIKI RENAISSANCE, HI, USA (HN9)

1777 ALA MOANA BLVD

HONOLULU, HAWAII 96815

UNITED STATES

WAIKIKI, HI, USA (HN2)

325 SEASIDE AVE

HONOLULU, HAWAII 96815

UNITED STATES

I am not familiar with the area. If any of the locals can advice which of these locations are better, or closer to the pier?? We would like to rent the car, drop it off on the day we embark. Thanks for any help??

Both of your locations are in Waikiki. Rates at these locations will probably be higher than the airport location because of lower number of cars available at these locations. Cab ride costs from the pier to the airport or to Waikiki should be roughly about the same (at least, based on distance - since there's more traffic going to Waikiki, time-wise, it may add more cost to that taxi ride). Did you check with Thrifty to find out if they would offer a shuttle to the airport location to pick up a car? If they do, that would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Spleen

What we were really trying to do was rent a car the last day we are in Honolulu and then return it to a downtwon location hoping they might shuttle us to the pier. Is THAT, at all possible. We are staying in the Beach area. It was an idea, not a full fledge plan yet. How does that sound??

My plan was to rent a car at the airport on the day we came in.

Drive to our hotel in Waikiki. Do our thing that day and the next morning.

Check out around noon, drop the folks off close to the pier, drop car off @ airport and drive back.

Would you recommend this spleen93?

Giantfan13 - would be doable except that Thrifty doesn't seem to have any downtown locations - that's why I think they do the shuttle from airport to pier (when it's actually available). If not Thrifty, I do know that Enterprise and Hertz definitely do have locations in the downtown area close by to the pier.

OptimusPrime (Transformers fan?) - yes, very doable. In fact, this is how most people end up doing it.

Spleen

I am trying to do the reverse. Want to rent a car when we get off the boat and drop it off at the airport that evening. Are there any rental cars near the port that allow a drop off at the airport? We were able to do this on the Star a few years ago and I can't rember the car rental company we used. I booked the rental on the boat. Any information would be helpful.

I am trying to do the reverse. Want to rent a car when we get off the boat and drop it off at the airport that evening. Are there any rental cars near the port that allow a drop off at the airport? We were able to do this on the Star a few years ago and I can't rember the car rental company we used. I booked the rental on the boat. Any information would be helpful.

I remember reading in another thread that there are rental company shuttles that pick you up and take you to the airport. You can pick up the car there, and return it back on your way out and save some $ by not renting in the city.

If anyone is interested. I called Thrifty (the individual location) to get first hand knowledge. We are staying in Honolulu for 5 days pre cruise, but we only wanted to rent a car for the last day, drop it off before we went to the pier and, hopefully get a shuttle to the dock. I listed two locations in my original thread of Thrifty locations other than the airport. They told me that they offer a shuttle to any hotel basically on the 'strip', to their office to get a car. The next day, I wanted to know if they would drop me off at the dock after we returned the car. They said if we dropped the car off before 1:00 (or 2:00, I'm not sure), they would shuttle you to the pier. They also said that the airport location would do the same. If you called the airport from your hotel, they would get a shuttle to bring you to the airport and shuttle you back to the pier after you returned the car. I hope this gentleman knows what he is saying because we rented with him for our last day.

A shuttle from the airport to Waikiki to get you to bring you back to the airport to pick up a car!??? Nuh, uh. Can't see how that makes any economic sense for them. I can see how they might have the local Thrifty office send a shuttle to pick you up from your hotel and take you to a Waikiki location office (like the one on Seaside) but not to the airport!

I'd probably call a few more times to confirm this with different people, note names, and record everything. I had a difficult time understanding how Thrifty was shuttling people from airport to dock but can sort of make sense of it since they don't have a downtown location. But sending you to the airport to pick up a car when they have rental locations in Waikiki still totally boggles my mind. I might have to call the local number for Thrifty myself just to get the straight scoop on this.

Spleen

We rented a car from Thrifty both prior and after our cruise on Poh. Before the cruise we rented from the Waikiki location and they gladly shuttled me to the pier. After our cruise I rented from the airport location and their shuttle was waiting at the pier to pick everybody up. After returning the car, they shuttled us to the airport. Worked for us.

Archived