Tipping??

kaffybear

I think the way it works is that any cash given as tips is immediately pooled – if you give cash without an envelope or in an unmarked envelope and whomever you give it to does not know your cabin, usually they’ll ask for it (I always put it on the envelope myself). Once it has been confirmed that you have not removed the auto-tip from your account, the cash is returned to whomever it was given to.

My supposition is that Anytime Dining works the same way. If you tip your server in cash, it goes into the pool. If you do not remove your auto tip, that money is returned to the server. If you do remove your tip, it goes into the pool with the rest of the tips.

As for how do they know, either by reviewing your cruise card at the dining room entrance, taking a drink order or running up the charge for a bottle of wine. One way or another, they know.

When we went to the pursers desk they were able to reduce just the portion of the automatic tip that went to the wait staff as we felt that he didn't really earn it...Even though he had service issues I still felt bad when one of our assigned table mates went and complain on him. He got taken aside and spoken too right away and i could tell that it upset him.
I think your tablemate took the appropriate action. Removing his tips without any explanation why does him or his managers no good. I understand not wanting any confrontation, but perhaps a word or two from you would have resulted in better service.

The reason we want to take off the auto tip, is because we don't use the main dining room. we hit the buffets or the specialty restaraunt. we would rather give them more of a tip then the ines we don't use. Who actually get money from the auto tip??

The reason we want to take off the auto tip, is because we don't use the main dining room. we hit the buffets or the specialty restaraunt. we would rather give them more of a tip then the ines we don't use. Who actually get money from the auto tip??

So every night you are going to carry around small bills and leave them for the people who wait on you? Seems like a lot of work to me but if that's what makes you happy. :)

Bill

Now I have been only on two previous cruises but, to the people who have cruised b/f auto tipping have you noticed the quality of service reduced b/c they know that they are guaranteed a specific amount?

Vicki

Now I have been only on two previous cruises but, to the people who have cruised b/f auto tipping have you noticed the quality of service reduced b/c they know that they are guaranteed a specific amount?

Vicki

IMO, The quality of service has not changed because of auto tipping

Vicki

Vicki,

I haven't noticed any decline in service. It is still not guaranteed they get a specific amount. If you had bad service you just go and reduce the tip or remove it entirely. I can't imagine how bad the service would have to be to not tip anything.

Bill

Vicki,

I haven't noticed any decline in service. It is still not guaranteed they get a specific amount. If you had bad service you just go and reduce the tip or remove it entirely. I can't imagine how bad the service would have to be to not tip anything.

Bill

I didn't mean that a person wouldn't tip at all, I was wondering if they still went the extra mile for you.

Vicki

I believe that the buffet waiters are part of the waitstaff pool and share in those tips. So if you are justifying not tipping because you eat in the Horizon Court at each meal' date=' there are still waiters clearing tables and otherwise helping you.[/quote']Exactly. Not to mention the waitstaff in the dining room during breakfast and lunch. The people who tip only those they see at dinner and/or their cabin steward are either cheap or incredibly short-sighted.

As an FYI, I've been to restaurants where the tips are pooled by all of the waitstaff with the kitchen staff, including the chefs and sous-chefs. They were among the best-run restaurants I've been to.

I think your tablemate took the appropriate action. Removing his tips without any explanation why does him or his managers no good. I understand not wanting any confrontation, but perhaps a word or two from you would have resulted in better service.

:rolleyes:

I am confused. A word was given from our table didn't I make that clear. It may have come from our tablemates but as far as our waiter was concerned it might as well have come from all of us. The level of service did NOT increase after this so we reduced our tipping in accordance. We didn't just take away tips without anything being said as you can see now if you had thought about it for a few more seconds. I don't think it was necessary for each of us to go up from our table and complain. Is that what you would have done? That seems really harsh to me. IMHO one complaint from our table was enough.

BTW I would say that the level of service actually decreased after he received a complaint. He wasn't having service issue because he was lazy. He was lacking competence and a complaint only frustrated him more.

My understanding: AUTO TIP IS POOLED. Certain % to the cabin/hotel staff and % to the restaurant staff. The entire ship staff works hard together to share the tip pool.

If you did not feel your cabin was not clean - then remove only the cabin portion.

If you feel your cabin steward did an adequate job coming twice a day to clean up and provide linens for his 20+ cabins, working his 11 hour shift, 7 days a week, please leave this tip intact.

If you did not enjoy ANY meals - then remove the restaurant portion. BUT REMEMBER ... in addition to getting your drink from the bar

When you enter the buffet dining room and found a clean table the wait staff provided this.

The water/coffee stations are filled and cups stocked by the wait staff.

The buffet food is presented, replenished, cleaned by the wait staff.

They clean up the spills and messes so you don't step in anyone else's guk.

They staff the midnight to 6 am shift ... just in case you want a snack (didn't see these guys, so let's not tip them).

The guy at 7:00 am in the morning working the buffet line is also one of the waiters working in the evenings at the PC or Traditional or Buffet Dining Rooms. - yes 11 hour days, 7 days a week.

If you feel your cabin or wait staff was outstanding -

1) fill out a card comment card,

2) tip above the auto tip. Don't adjust the auto tip then give him/her that portion - they have to turn this in.

3) thank them personnally for adding to your vacation experience.

[quote name='CruiserSmurf']:rolleyes:

[COLOR=black]I am confused. A word was given from our table didn't I make that clear. ...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]He was lacking competence and a complaint only frustrated him more.[/COLOR][/quote]Okay, I didn't understand the sequence. My point was not to aggravate you, but to suggest that if there is a service problem, some attempt should be made to bring it the attention of people who can do something about it. I agree, if nothing changes or gets worse, your decision was appropriate.

On the question of service levels pre- and post-auto tipping, I don't think they've changed. There are always stars, and a few laggards, but overall I haven't discerned any changes attributable to auto tips. There have been changes due to corporate policies, and staffing levels that have not kept pace with passenger loading.

Archived