Input Please - Ft. Lauderdale

Bruce&Pam

We're cruising on the Triumph on October 21st out of Miami but we're having to fly into FLL the day before the cruise.

Pam's lobbying for taking a free shuttle to a La Quinta in Ft. Lauderdale for the night. Then taking it back to the airport the next day where we'd take the Carnival Shuttle to the pier in Miami.

I'm thinking about trying to stay at a cheap hotel near Miami Beach, taking in the beach Friday afternoon, then taking a cab to the pier the next day.

Question for those with experience: Is it too cold to hang out on Miami Beach at the end of October? I'm afraid trying to stay in Miami is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Last year we cruised out of Galveston in October and it was too cold to enjoy the beach there that time of year. Of course Rita had just gone by.

---Bruce

October is definitely still beach weather down here in Miami-- actually, it's our favorite time of year - though sometimes still too warm! South Beach is about 10 minutes from the cruise port, so the ride on Saturday would be short and not too expensive (cabs in Miami are reasonable). Check out the ports pages (Miami) to read about hotels and such.

Have a great cruise!

bill

" GloriaF FLL has beaches, too, and it would be a lot more convenient. Of course, not the famous Miami South Beach"

Ft Lauderdale beach is every bit as nice as South Beach! Absolutely, and there are some great hotels. But, South Beach is so close to the cruise terminal in Miami, so the trip on departure day is really short--- I could see why someone would want to stay down there.

You really can't go wrong either place, I mean, really, it's the basically the same beach, just 20 miles difference!

Enjoy!

bill

My mistake - I was thinking the OP was sailing out of FLL and flying into FLL, too, but was planning a day trip to Miami just for South Beach. Now I see they are flying into FLL, but must go to Miami anyway since they are sailing from Miami.

I know the beach in FLL and Miami is the same Atlantic coast beach and both are equally nice, but you have to admit there is a special flavor to the art deco hotels and risque sunbathers of South Beach. :cool:

My mistake - I was thinking the OP was sailing out of FLL and flying into FLL, too, but was planning a day trip to Miami just for South Beach. Now I see they are flying into FLL, but must go to Miami anyway since they are sailing from Miami.

I know the beach in FLL and Miami is the same Atlantic coast beach and both are equally nice, but you have to admit there is a special flavor to the art deco hotels and risque sunbathers of South Beach. :cool:

You are right about that!! There's no place like South Beach--- definitely a unique place you should go at least once -- probably more. It's a lot of fun!

My point was more you can't go wrong either way. No worries.

Enjoy!

bill

We're cruising on the Triumph on October 21st out of Miami but we're having to fly into FLL the day before the cruise.

Pam's lobbying for taking a free shuttle to a La Quinta in Ft. Lauderdale for the night. Then taking it back to the airport the next day where we'd take the Carnival Shuttle to the pier in Miami.

I'm thinking about trying to stay at a cheap hotel near Miami Beach, taking in the beach Friday afternoon, then taking a cab to the pier the next day.

Question for those with experience: Is it too cold to hang out on Miami Beach at the end of October? I'm afraid trying to stay in Miami is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Last year we cruised out of Galveston in October and it was too cold to enjoy the beach there that time of year. Of course Rita had just gone by.

---Bruce

My DH and I are staying at La Quinta, Ft. Lauderdale. For what I understand they have free shuttles to and from the airport and the ports. That is one reason are TA told us about this one.

Starrluna

We rented a car in FLL, and stayed at the Pier 66 (got a great deal on priceline). Then we had the car for the day to stock up on supplies, and go to the beach. When it was time we dropped the car off at a hotel near the Miami pier (I think it was the Sheraton) and took a short cab ride to the ship. For the price of the cab rides, we had a car and the freedom to do what we wanted (and a place to keep our bags while we were at the beach and having lunch)

Archived