UK and US on "critical" alert status for air travel

Starbright

Big problems in the UK this morning. A plot to destroy aircraft in mid-air over UK and USA airspace has been uncovered. A number of people have been arrested.

The airports are in chaos due to stepped up security measures. No hand luggage is being allowed onto aircraft on the order of the Government. It will be a difficult situation for anyone finishing a cruise here and flying back to the USA.

The TV news is saying that the ban on hand luggage will only be "a short term measure", but no one knows what that means, obviously.

Thanks for posting; thought about putting up a link when this first broke, but things have been moving so fast! I've been watching CNN all night tonight. They're reporting that liquids will not be allowed on our carry-ons in the US - no beverages, lotions, etc. Looks like things are going to start moving very slowly at the airport. I hope they caught/catch everyone they suspect in the UK and that nothing else is going on. Scary stuff.

Just imagine arriving with your stuff and:

11.30am: Carry-on baggage rules are causing chaos. Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods and remote controls are among items banned from being carried on board. Prescription medicines are permitted; as are glasses - but not their cases, the Department of Transport says. Contact lenses can be taken aboard in their cases - but bottles of solution are banned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2306741,00.html

Also many other airports in Europe with flights to and from the UK are having problems now.

Expect delays or even cancelled flights.

I really hope things will be back to normal soon.

Just want to congratulate the British security forces and police for one outstanding job in foiling these @#%%holes so far! We, the traveling public, can put up with increased security and added rules and regulations in order to fly home safely! Great job!!

Darn, just when I was starting to feel comfortable about flying internationally. We're flying on British Airways on Sept.16th and I'm starting to feel nervous. Darn, I was really looking forward to a relaxing worry free flight anticipating my wonderful Noordam cruise. Now I'll have to be more onguard. What's wrong with these people who are so determined to harm us? I don't understand their mentallity.:mad:

You must understand this is jihad ... a holy war. It's all rooted in religious values. That's their mentality.

This will cause lots of inconvenience for the traveling public, and will really be a pain for cruisers trying to get home. Let's hope things even out quickly.

I was watching the live news feed from London last night and one of the BIG issues is that papers (newspapers, business documents, etc.) are not permitted as well.

There was one story of a US government bureaucrat traveling from LHR to IAD with top secret documents. Gave him two choices; check the documents (illegal under US law) or cancel the trip.

Given the fact that the authorities foiled the terrorist attack on "at least 20 trans-Atlantic planes," I suspect these rules were designed to stop any acts in progress and are not necessarily the rules that will apply as we go forward.

Anyone out there willing to trust luggage screeners with their computers, cameras and jewelry in their unlocked suitcases? So much for emergency personal travel bag in case your flight is cancelled overnight.

There is only one absolutely safe way to travel by air.

You strip in your airport of departure, have a cavity search, put on paper clothing, ship all your belongings by separate carrier and board your aircraft. Upon arrival you will (hopefully) get your clothing and belongings back.

Welcome to the brave new world of air travel.

Anyone who has ever seen a James Bond movie should have realized that containers of any kind including bottles of highly flammable alcohol should never have been allowed on board airplanes since 2001. I'm amazed that security experts took only five years to catch on.:(

You must understand this is jihad ... a holy war. It's all rooted in religious values. That's their mentality.

I totally agree. This war started about 600AD and it's not about to end soon. And as will be shown by the terrorists arrested... the enemy is already living in our midst. I can't believe why any national government still allows immigrants from countries who have no intention of being assimilated into the ideals of western democracy... This has nothing to do with politics of the left or right. This has everything to do with profiling and recognizing the potential enemy. I don't care where anyone comes from as long as they are willing to accept the ways of the people who have built western culture. I hope this is not considered a political comment but a common sense one from someone who has made Canada home. Anyone who does not want to become one of us (any western-style democracy) should not be allowed to live in our midst. Off my soap box now.

In another vein, I suggest that those of us who are cruising within the next 60-90 days seriously reconsider our packing plans.

Even to the extent of buying necessary items in our embarcation port cities.

I know they are saying that you can pack liquids, gels, toothpaste etc in locked (checked) luggage, but that's going to necessitate more frequent luggage searches and late arriving luggage. Another reason to fly in a day early for a cruise.

Hopefully HAL will stock more necessities in their onboard shops which frequently run out of things like deodorant and mouthwash.

Perhaps Cruise Critic can address these issues in some articles for cruisers on the home page.

Grannynurse

...Perhaps Cruise Critic can address these issues in some articles for cruisers on the home page.

Grannynurse

That has already been done.

Cruise Critic has set up a news alert at the home page for Cruise Line announcements.

Check Cruise Line Responses page frequently to see what's up.

In addition there is a news article that summarizes the new restrictions in the Cruise Critic News page.

Are these restrictions just for flights from UK to USA or vice versa? and also for flights originating and staying within the US borders? Thanks.

The local radio here has said the restrictions are for International flights - period - no carry ons. Interisland and domestic I believe is the restrictions on liquids, lotions, creams, and sprays. No too sure as I'm just playing catch up (as we are 6 hours behind the East Coast)

I'm flying out early a.m. and bear in mind that I understand they have also confiscated chapstick and lipsticks. I don't know if this is across the board, and is certainly no huge loss, but if you have a favorite or expensive lipstick or balm, you will want to pack it in checked baggage.

This has not been mentioned in any lists, but I spoke with JetBlue this afternoon and the Rep said that she had heard that this is so.

When in doubt, keep it out:) . Considering everything, I don't see this as a burden on us at all; just an annoying inconvenience.

My mother has been following the writings of a woman, Annie Jacobsen - who writes for Women's Wall Street. In 2004, she was on a flight and experienced a "dry run" of sorts. Here is the link.

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/columns/Column.aspx?aid=578

Since this experience, she has done much research and written about this. I didn't want to post a new thread, but I thought I'd mention that these actions have been in the planning stages for years.

The fact that this plan has been thwarted is a testiment to the hard work of those involved in national and international security.

First, want to DITTO John! Really happy to see a potential attack thwarted and KUDOS to the authorities in the UK who were able to catch these guys!

I'm flying out early a.m. and bear in mind that I understand they have also confiscated chapstick and lipsticks.

Wow! Lip balm? I keep one clipped to my belt loop... Just thinking of the toothpaste was hard. Now, I realize that the eye moisturizers, nasal sprays, and other Flight Spray is also verboten. Hmmmm, I really don't want to fly any more. And, I have to fly in less than 2 weeks. I'll be the one with bad breath, chapped lips, and red eyes who can't stop sniffing. Ah well; we do what we have to do, don't we?

Anxious around here, too, btw. Have relatives leaving to come here from NZ in less than 48 hours, and DH flying home tonight. I actually get a giggle thinking of him cleaning out his laptop bag in spite of things being so serious overall. On the cruise in May, I found EMPTY candy boxes (those big boxes like you get in the movie theater) in his laptop bag. The thing bulges so much one of the zippers broke and he never throws anything away. That is about the only silver lining I can think of, personally. I've been on pins and needles worrying that relatives will cancel their trip. So far, so good.

First, want to DITTO John! Really happy to see a potential attack thwarted and KUDOS to the authorities in the UK who were able to catch these guys!

Wow! Lip balm? I keep one clipped to my belt loop... Just thinking of the toothpaste was hard. Now, I realize that the eye moisturizers, nasal sprays, and other Flight Spray is also verboten. Hmmmm, I really don't want to fly any more. And, I have to fly in less than 2 weeks. I'll be the one with bad breath, chapped lips, and red eyes who can't stop sniffing. Ah well; we do what we have to do, don't we?

Anxious around here, too, btw. Have relatives leaving to come here from NZ in less than 48 hours, and DH flying home tonight. I actually get a giggle thinking of him cleaning out his laptop bag in spite of things being so serious overall. On the cruise in May, I found EMPTY candy boxes (those big boxes like you get in the movie theater) in his laptop bag. The thing bulges so much one of the zippers broke and he never throws anything away. That is about the only silver lining I can think of, personally. I've been on pins and needles worrying that relatives will cancel their trip. So far, so good.

At least you have the OPTION to not fly (road trip, train, bus) I don't have that option. I'm on a red dirt rock in the middle of the ocean. AND any flights to get away from the islands are at least 5-6 hours! I've got a flight from HNL to ATL and then LGA in December (12+ hours). I wish I could take a train instead...but alas, I'm stuck flying :( My lips will be dry, I'll be dehydrated, tired, and I will also have red eyes....not to mention the breath!! It's not going to be a pretty picture :(

Mary, don't panic yet. It's very possible that these strict rules right now will be lightened as time goes on. But maybe not. We'll adjust ... we're strong.

It may not be true about the lip balm. But I heard that today and the Jet Blue Rep said she'd heard that as well. I'm sure as time goes on and people are flying, they'll post their experiences.

I'm leaving in the a.m. and back Wednesday. Certainly let everyone know how a domestic flight into and out of JFK New York is. I'm sure we'll be hearing from many others, too.

We'll get it right and it will be fine.

My mother has been following the writings of a woman, Annie Jacobsen - who writes for Women's Wall Street. In 2004, she was on a flight and experienced a "dry run" of sorts. Here is the link.

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/columns/Column.aspx?aid=578

Since this experience, she has done much research and written about this. I didn't want to post a new thread, but I thought I'd mention that these actions have been in the planning stages for years.

The fact that this plan has been thwarted is a testiment to the hard work of those involved in national and international security.

Very scary, but entirely credible, article.

I'm been wondering why the airlines are making an exception for baby bottles of milk and juice. Terrorists have babies, or can obtain them in unmentionable ways, and have no compunction about using them for their purposes. Wouldn't it make more sense for the airlines to require that passengers with such items turn them over to the crew for safe-keeping until needed. The passenger should not be allowed to take these items to the lavatories. Same with the wipes, lotions, and other baby items that are being allowed. Any feedings or diaper changes should be made only in full view of a crew member.

The same should be done for prescription liquids & lotions, which are being allowed. It's easy enough for terrorists, just like drug abusers, to get a doctor to write a prescription.

Airlines should be required to have lock-boxes to store such items during flights to prevent them being mixed to produce explosives.

I have the option not to fly if I want to be divorced! LOL! But, after this next flight, I will be trying to avoid it even more than I do already. It's amazing how quickly one can go from hopping on a plane at the drop of a hat to being pulled out of the house kicking and screaming, LOL!

Sorry about your predicament. I'm very lucky because I rarely mind being stuck at home and figure I can put up with the inconvenience a few times a year - most often to visit my family. With grandparents in their 80's, I am willing to jump through hoops to spend time with them. I never know when it will be the last time I see them... But, I don't know about scheduling a regular vacation.

The folks coming from New Zealand have a very long trip with two children. I am SO GLAD they didn't cancel. Just hope they aren't too dehydrated by the time they make it to Colorado. You can get dehydrated around here sitting in a chair!

Btw, DH is at O'Hare right now. Security is moving well; they opened more checkpoints. Longs are line, but they ARE moving at a good pace. Airport is crowded, but overall, he says it isn't as bad as he expected. So, looks like things are going well for travellers headed that way in the immediate future.

Archived