Adjoining balcony cabins on Zuiderdam

Kiddo

I'm hoping someone out there can clear up a question I have. A travel agent advised me today that you can book adjoining balcony cabins (say for a family of 4) where the cabins have connecting doors (like hotel rooms), other than just opening up the partitions on the balconies, which I was familiar with. I was a bit surprised at this as I've cruised a few times with Princess, once with my children in an adjoining cabin, and was not aware that this was an option. She was mentioning this to me as I was asking her to quote an outside balcony cabin for us with an inside cabin directly across the hall for the children. She stressed that this wasn't suitable because of the security factor and it would be much better to have them in an adjoining balcony cabin. My point was once they're in a separate room what's the difference if it's beside you or across the hall? She advised that there were balcony cabins that adjoined (ie had connecting doors within the cabin), but this was news to me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.

(My apologies for the long, rambling message.)

Kiddo.

There absolutely are cabins adjoined. They are called Connecting Rooms. HAL brochures shows these cabins very clearly.

Steve Hayes

I'm hoping someone out there can clear up a question I have. A travel agent advised me today that you can book adjoining balcony cabins (say for a family of 4) where the cabins have connecting doors (like hotel rooms), other than just opening up the partitions on the balconies, which I was familiar with. I was a bit surprised at this as I've cruised a few times with Princess, once with my children in an adjoining cabin, and was not aware that this was an option. She was mentioning this to me as I was asking her to quote an outside balcony cabin for us with an inside cabin directly across the hall for the children. She stressed that this wasn't suitable because of the security factor and it would be much better to have them in an adjoining balcony cabin. My point was once they're in a separate room what's the difference if it's beside you or across the hall? She advised that there were balcony cabins that adjoined (ie had connecting doors within the cabin), but this was news to me. I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.

(My apologies for the long, rambling message.)

Kiddo.

Yes, they do have them. They are represented by a + sign on the deck plans of the ships. They have them on some of the older ships as well, such as the Rotterdam. There are two doors in the wall, back to back. So both sides need to open the door. You can prop it open with a trash can or, better yet, bring duct tape.

In some cases, unfortunately the price of having this connecting door is loss of closet space. It seems that there are a few cabins where the door was placed where other like cabins had a closet.

We had adjoining rooms and there did not seem to be a loss of closet space. We had plenty. It looked to me like it was just where the wall would have been blank directly at the foot of the beds. It worked well for us.

I will say that I had my kids across the halls in inside cabins for years and never felt that it was a security problem ! To the contrary, adults have been known to use poor judgement sitting on rails and gone overboard. I can only imagine the trouble that kids could potentially get into.

Lately I have been booking them - at times in balcony cabins. To be honest, me teen likes that it is DARK in the inside cabin with no sun waking her.

I will say that I had my kids across the halls in inside cabins for years and never felt that it was a security problem ! To the contrary, adults have been known to use poor judgement sitting on rails and gone overboard. I can only imagine the trouble that kids could potentially get into.

Lately, I have been booking them - at times in balcony cabins. To be honest, me teen likes that it is DARK in the inside cabin with no sun waking her.

Archived