Review: MAJAHAUL (the little fishing village) "OnOurOwn"

OCruisers

What a WONDERFUL Day!!!!!!

Our ship arrived early. We took our time and left around 9:30 with no crowds. At the dock there was a tram to the end of the pier. (Why walk when you can ride?)

This new port complex looked like the "beach front area" of a large luxury resort hotel. Off to the right was a pretty sandy looking roped off beach. To the left was a rocky beach. Lots of lounge chairs EVERYWHERE! We continued past these exits into the shopping mall area and the large pool with with a "swim-up" bar. We took the EXIT for TAXIS.

It was a $5 pp round taxi ride to Majahaul. Very short ride -- about 5 minutes. (Only 2 miles to Majahaul.)

NOTE: At the Taxi Area .... Snorkel tours, Diving, Parasailing, jet skis, etc. were offered by independent tour operators. These same things were offered by other independents once at Majahaul. Think ? the going cost for the snorkel trips was $20 pp and $35 for a 1-Tank Dive. We only wanted to play on the beach so we didn't pay too much attention. Later, at the beach bar we met many other who had done some of these and they all seemed happy with their experiences ....

While warm, it was windy and overcast when we arrived in Majahaul before 10 AM. The little village looked tattered and desolate with little activity. Some "very early-bird" cruisers were already going back and warned us not to waste our time at this place.

We, per info that had been posted on the old CC Board, walked about a block to Tapus Resturant which was across the street from the beach. (Tapus had beach lounges and table/chairs across the street ... directly on the beach as well.)

We stopped at an inviting looking thatched bar (sadly, can't remember the name) directly beside the Tapus beach area. This Beach Bar had GREEN beach lounges and tables/chairs while those of Tapus were Yellow/White -- ALL inexpensive plastic outdoor furniture. (There were quite a few othe bars along the beach as well.)

We hopped up on the tall tree trunks at the bar and ordered a couple of very cold XX beers with limes ($2 each) ... :D yes, yes, at 10 AM! :D

The owner and bartenders were all very friendly and assured us the weather would be great in an hour or so. We enjoyed watching vendors set up along the road and talking to the bartenders, locals, the to other cruisers who were now arriving at a steady pace.

By 11 o'clock (as promised) it was a wonderful sunny day! :cool: We moved from our tree trunk/bar stool perches to a table with half sun and half shade which suited us perfectly.

The beach was sandy and clean -- no need for water shows -- and the water was warm and clear. The swimming area is roped off to avoid collisions with the many motorized water sports. This beach is NOT good for snorkeling (take one of the many Snorkel/Dive Boats there for that) ... but it is great for just swimming and playing around in the warm water!

For lunch we split a HUGE platter ($14.95) with a variety of tasty food (including chunks of lobster). We are not whimpy eaters BUT it was still way too much for us! Some locals (construction workers) at the next table (at our invitation) pulled their chairs over and helped us empty the platter. They told us the food was ALWAYS good there. Another group of cruisers saw how much FUN we were having and brought their chairs/food over as well -- a real FIESTA!!!

We ABSOLUTELY LOVE this sort of thing -- shabby beach bars and interacting with locals and a variety of others ... SO, FOR US, IT WAS THE BEST OF DAYS!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to read your review as well as the others past cruisers have posted. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to our cruise and visit to Costa Maya.

Thanks, Pattie

• 3 weeks later...

echo .... We ate at a bar on the beach which was directly beside the Tapus Restuarant beach area. (Tapus is across the street but they have a beach area where they serve food as well.)

Most important! You can eat at either place without fear of getting sick! :D Folks from both places were hanging out together and exchanging food -- no one cared! Happy & Fun place to be!!!

Dash (Pattie) .... Thanks for your kind comments. Please remember to give all of us a report when you return! There are never too many opinions!

• 1 month later...

Your review of the area was great. This sounds like what my husband wants to do the day we are in Costa Maya - which will be his b-day. I had hoped to plan a really fun/exciting special day, however he wants a laid-back day. Drink some drinks, eat some local food, smoke a cigar.

He has mentioned that he would like to parasail. Do you remember if that was offered anywhere around? How about motorcycles - not scooters, as he is an life-long enthusiast?

xntric1 .... Thanks so much for your kind comment! Parasailing: Two guys (25ish) who had just finished a 2-Tank Scuba Dive were getting a bite to eat and chatting with everyone ... told us that they had also hoped to parasail and had been told some of the parasail equipment was being replaced (on order) so it wasn't available at the time. Sounds as if it normally is? :confused: Sorry, can't help more. Hopefully, someone else will have this info for you.

Whine, I want to go back to Majahaul for my birthday! :D

Parasailing is back on at Uvero, Mahahual water park. They have a booth in the cruise ship pier where you can book. As for motorcycles the only thing on offer is quads(4 wheelers) and not really what an enthusiast would look at. They are available at the cruise ship pier.

No, a quad is not what he would be interested in! He lives and breaths the 2 wheeled, motorized kind - but hey, there are a lot worse habits for a hubby to have.

I know it has been years since he did any diving (he became cert during college back in the late 70/early 80s). Would it be possible for him to dive? If so, I'll see if he is interested in a birthday dive.

Donna

Werll us old salts will take on the old boys if they are not too set in their ways with having to ask for twin hoses, homemade wetsuits, and fins that they designed after seeing a film of Jacques Cousteau. Seriously it is not a problem for a refresher course for us old boys. We can take care of that and the diving here is very easy. Just make sure you take out a good life insurance policy and then we can split it 50 50 (only joking again) If you want Hubby to have a great day we can give it to him. I will personally take care of him.

Nitro,

He is very adaptable....not to set in his ways and old but still very good to have around. :) I will ask him if he is interested in diving again. ...let's see, can I tell him there is a wrecked motorcycle he can see underwater....

Thanks,

Donna

Tell hubby we can use our wheelchairs to find the long lost motor cycle of everyones dream, but I think Neptune has already claimed it. You know the salvage laws of the seas. I can guarantee him a good time. Does he have one of those certification cards from the Lloyds Bridges Fan Club. On a serious note if this is what he wants we can accomodate him.

Nitro,

Spoke with hubby and he says he would love to dive there, but not this time. He insists he just wants a laid-back b-day. If he changes his mind, I know how to find you. I do appreciate all the info (and laughs). I look forward to seeing your little piece of paradise on the 13th. I just hope the tourist ($$$) don't ruin it like thay have so many other places!

Thanks

Donna

Xcintric1

Tell hubby to lay back, enjoy a margharita or 2. Maybe I will bump into you somewhere on the day. Look out for some guy with an aussie type hat wearing a wetsuit. Maybe after diving if you are around I might just share one of those margharitas with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Nitro,

Are you for real??? Do you roam the beaches and go diving with old men???

:D Wait.....What do you consider old???? You are a riot!!

Seriously, I enjoy your information and thoughts on all of this, as I will be there in 2 weeks(oh I am an old 53). I am considering parasailing, snorkling and also reliving my rodeo queen days on a horse. Do you think all of this is possible in one day or am I trying to think like a freaking teeny bopper??? Will I be able to get out of bed the next day??? Should I only do one or two and plan a 2nd trip back? ORRRRR should I tone it down and just lay my butt on the beach and dream?

Sherry

• 1 month later...

Hi Sherry,

Yes I am real. Okay you want horseriding, snorkelling and parasailing, not necessarily in that order. That is quite an order to fulfil in one day. Okay snorkelling and horseriding can be arranged from the same place. That is Mayawal Tours. Para sailing might be a little difficult to fit in as this is by another tour company. Depending if the boats are operational and the weather is good you go to the place opposite the Mayawal Tours stand in town and you will find the Mahahual Water Park. They arrange the parasailing. Maybe after a few drinks on board and then into the hot tub will get you back into shape for the next days adventures in your next port of call.

When we were there on November 19 we got a van (there were 11 of us together) to take us to the *************************************.

Then we started walking up the beach towards "town". Since it was early there were not many people out and we were unsure if we could just plop down anywhere or if the beaches were restricted for the use of customers.

A guy saw us looking around uncertainly and called to us that we could come and hang out in, and in front of, a tent type shelter, across the street from a little local bar/restaurant.

Turns out the proprieter's name was Fabian, and the guy that spoke to us was an expatriate American named Robert, who has lived there for the past 18 years or so.

It was a little too windy that day to make a snorkeling trip worthwhile, so we hung out, waded in the clear water, ate and drank (Fabian produced an AWESOME platter of conch, shrimp, and octopus ceviche), and generally just had an amazing day of laid-back relaxation.

Some of our gang walked up and down the beach road to shop among the vendors, but I was contant to just chill and trade stories with Robert.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the reviews and helpful info. I will be in port on January 4th. I am a single traveler, and it looks like Mahjal is just what I have been looking for. I am so excited!!

I have always dreamed of moving to a small town in Mexico, and suppor the turist trade. I am a chef and dream of having a restaurant some day.......... oh well just a dream. Looking forward to me trip.

Barbara

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember seeing a sign at one of the little docks in Majahaul that read: Fishing Charters/Boats for Rent. Don't have a clue about who you would contact in advance. Maybe one of the locals will see this thread and provide more information.

Archived