Will me cell work on the ship?

St.Love

Well darn! Do what does everyone use, phone cards?

Do not use phone cards as you will still pay the standard satellite fee on top of your phone card cost.

Carnival is in the process of installing a cellphone system on board all their vessels and you can use your phone in some of the ports of call (depending on the service you have)

Be warned though that if you use your phone on board the ship you will pay an international roaming fee

I have been checking on this for awhile and posted several messages. I unfortunately will have to be in touch with home at least once daily (briefly) on my upcoming Elation cruise.

The best thing I have found so far is getting a satellite phone and using my Cingular phone in San Juan and St. Thomas. Doesn't look like Grand Turk will have service or Half Moon Cay.

I am going to try Skype with my laptop onboard to see if I have any luck. I will let everyone know when I return if I had any luck at all with Skype. Given the low upstream of the online internet access, I am not holding out too much hope. I have played with it with dial up to better simulate the slow upstram for testing and it is hit or miss.

Our Cingular phones worked on our recent cruise on the Carnival Conquest. I let my Mom borrow it for a call home to check on her other kiddos. The cost was 1.99 a minute. I know our neighbors cell phone worked too because she was out on the balcony talking on the phone a lot!! I'm sure her bill was out of sight. =)

Archived