MXP - Terminal logistics

martinimadam

I'm flying Alitalia from BOS to LIS with a connection in MXP. My flight arrives at MXP at 7:35am. The departure to LIS is at 9:50am. I'm flying business class, so should be off the plane fairly quickly. My question: with this much layover, would I have time to go out of the terminal and have a cigarette before I catch the next flight? Do they have a separate security line for business class when entering the airport?

Thanks for your reply Cherylandtk. My understanding is that Italy has recently passed legislation that prohibits smoking anywhere inside the terminal. It was that way when I flew out of Rome last summer. Hence my question. Wonder if any of the lounges allow it.

I was there last May and there was no smoking inside the airport. I had to go outside.

They also took my matches, which were legal for the US airlines.

I don't know which airline(s) you will be using, but as bad as you will want a cigarette, you may not have time. It's not the easiest airport to negotiate.

My only suggestion is to study the layout of the airport and get ready to high tail it!!! I wish you well.

Boston to Milan to Lisbon? You will be an international 'in-transit' passenger and will be required to stay within the secured in-transit passenger lounge. No exiting or meandering around. But it IS Italy, there will be a place to smoke.
I don't believe that this is correct. For passengers starting in Milan, the flight to Lisbon is treated as a domestic flight for both immigration and customs purposes - there is no immigration control at either end and there is no customs border so no customs control.

Therefore, the OP will clear inbound immigration at Milan. (A security screening is almost certain, as well.) Because they will then be mixing with domestic passengers, they do not need to be kept in a secured transit area, and should be able to exit to landside if that turns out to be the only place to smoke.

It's likely, however, that their baggage can be through-checked so that it will clear customs at Lisbon.

Thanks ALCPA1 and Globaliser. Sure hope you're right about being able to go outside. And about customs in Lisbon rather than Milan.

Does anyone know where I can find a good detailed plan of the airport? I tried to do a search, but could only find an outline.

Will I have to change terminals going from international to domestic? My only experience with international flights is going through Heathrow, and I know that takes a change in terminals and can take quite a while.

Does anyone know where I can find a good detailed plan of the airport? I tried to do a search, but could only find an outline.

Try THIS LINK for some visual on MXP. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an airport website (or haven't found one) and no airport map on the Alitalia site. There is a map in the paper Alitalia timetable, if you can get your hands on one.

You can also find info on MXP at the SkyTeam Website. Use the "Airport Manager" function. Unfortunately, it won't let you put in just one airport, but forces you to use two. You can click on the larger map to get some more info including gate locations/numbers. Schengen flights use Satellite A, while non-Schengen flights go from B.

Try THIS LINK for some visual on MXP. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an airport website (or haven't found one) and no airport map on the Alitalia site. There is a map in the paper Alitalia timetable, if you can get your hands on one.

You can also find info on MXP at the SkyTeam Website. Use the "Airport Manager" function. Unfortunately, it won't let you put in just one airport, but forces you to use two. You can click on the larger map to get some more info including gate locations/numbers. Schengen flights use Satellite A, while non-Schengen flights go from B.

Thanks FlyerTalker. Between you and Globalizer, no air question goes unanswered!

One last question, I hope not too stupid, what's "Schengen" and "non-Schengen"

One last question, I hope not too stupid, what's "Schengen" and "non-Schengen"
The Schengen accord, signed by most European countries, includes provision for an area with a common external immigration border and no internal immigration borders. Personally, I call that area "Schengenland". This means that any travel from any point within Schengenland to any other point within Schengenland is effectively "domestic", so far as immigration controls are concerned. You don't pass any immigration controls at either end of the flight, whether they're in the same or different countries. However, if you fly between any point within Schengenland and any point outside it, you cross the immigration border and are subject to an inbound or outbound immigration control as appropriate.

That's why if you fly New York -> Milan -> Barcelona, you go through one inbound immigration control at Milan, and that's it.

The Schengen accord actually includes more provisions than just Schengenland, but Schengenland is its most prominent and well-known feature.

Archived