Single Supplement Editorial

croozer

I just booked an Alaska cruise on the 9/25 NCL Spirit with a great price and no single supplement. This was a great opportunity, even though it is off peak.

I always wanted to go to Alaska and my wife has no interest, so thanks to NCL off I go solo for the first time.

The "dreaded single supplement" is simply part of the budgeting of the cruise line. Pure and simple. And they get it one way or another right now. It's our loss not theirs. If we singles don't want to pay, we don't book, if we don't book someone else will. They will and can get it. The ships are full and cruising is at it's all time high.

What I find interesting is that they are trying through amenities on the ships, to attract the younger generations in order to get them hooked on the concept. Well, those will more than likely be singles and at the same time their trying to attract them through activities onboard, their also charging them the single supplement!

At some point the single supplement will be addressed. Crystal and Silversea have both stepped up to the plate and lowered their single supplement percentage BUT then their original prices are much higher as well.

We singles tend to cruise more, spend more than the average couple, I agree. But the cruise lines don't seem to care right now. I personally have had great luck so far with finding a travel companion(s). But preparing for the day I won't and refusing to pay the single supplement could become a problem. The question is, will the cruise lines care and my guess is not!

Wish I had more encouraging words!

Interesting Idea.

I went on Cunards Caronia last year, with friends, but I had a single room, so had a 50% single supplement. A few weeks before sailing we were offered an extra week at £50 per day.

We seriously considered going, but then found that I would have to pay a single supplement of 100%.

My friends were already paying 1/3 less than I was, & I was expected to pay twice as much for destinations that we hadn't actually chosen.

We didn't go, so Cunard lost all 3 fares not just one.

That said, I tried very hard to get on board again for one of her final trips this year :)

Karen

I've had the same experience as Marie on HAL. I got a great single rate on an Alaskan cruise last May and am scheduled to sail on the Zaandam this coming December. It's possible on HAL, if you're willing to do some research, to find cruises at 135-150% of the double occupancy fare.

I understand the theory of the single supplement, and don't expect to get the double occupancy fare, but 200% is way too much.

Roz

Archived