You have all inspired me to try Ebay!

Timtammi

Hi there all

First I should introduce myself. I'm an early 40 something aussie who has been lurking here for a while thinking, scheming, plotting and dreaming about my upcoming QM2 cruise from Sydney-Dubai in March 2007.

I need some lovely new clothes to take on my cruise but can't really afford to splash out on lots of new things, especially formal wear as I just don't get to wear it much at home.

Anyway, I've been scouring Ebay and have found this dress for one of the formal nights that I'm currently bidding on. Its not full length but I'm only 5 foot 2 so full length can look a bit funny on me. If I get it and decide its not formal enough I can always wear it for an informal night.

What do you all think? The auction ends fairly soon so I will know soon enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Beautiful-RED-Formal-Special-Occasion-Dress_W0QQitemZ150021409465QQihZ005QQcategoryZ55579QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Timtammi

I also had trouble visually separating the red dress from the red mannequin, but after staring at it a few minutes I figured out what the dress actually looked like! :o I love it! I know on any of the mainstream cruiselines (RCCL, Carnival, etc...) this dress would fit right in on formal night (even though it technically isn't "formal"). On QM2 they might actually expect a true "formal" gown on formal night (but I have never sailed with Cunard and have no idea what is "normal" for them). At any rate, you could definitely wear this lovely dress to an informal dinner on QM2 if you find out it isn't appropriate for their formal nights! Good luck with your e-bay auction! Let us know if you win!

Yes its on a red mannequin and yes I agree it makes it hard to see where the dress starts and finishes. I'm hoping it fits, its such a cheap price at the moment and the auction ends soon so I haven't taken the trouble to check measurements. It looks like it would be fairly forgiving and if anything it might be too big so I can always have it taken in.

The dress has a drapey cowl neck in front and shoetring straps at the back. I will keep you posted!

Cheers

Timtammi

I think it's very pretty. The seller certainly did a disservice by putting the dress on a red mannequin.

On any of the regular lines it's dressy enough for formal nights. Having never sailed Cunard, I have a suggestion - don't wear it the first formal night. Find out how the other ladies are dressed to see if this one is dressy enough. If it is, then you could wear it on a subsequent formal night. Otherwise you can wear it on a semi-formal night.

Whatever night you choose to wear this dress, you'll be a knockout!

RI-Sailor, I don't think she posted the pic, it is on Ebay.

The dress is real pretty, I love red! I've only been on one QM2 cruise and it was a short one. But, it was probably the dressiest cruise I've ever been on. Formal night was lovely and elegant. Even the casual nights many of the women wore cocktail dresses and the men suits.

I won the dress!! YEAH! :)

I actually think the seller did me a favour putting the dress on the red mannequin, I bet it put some people off who couldn't tell what it looked like. I got it for $20.50 + $6.00 postage, what a BARGAIN!

Will let you know when it arrives what it looks like and post more pics :)

Thanks for giving me the courage to give EBay a go, I think I might be hooked, its fun! :) At this rate I can afford a new outfit for every night of the trip hehehehe.

Cheers

Timtammi

So now I've got the dress I need to think about shoes and a bag. I'm bidding on this cute silver bag which I think would go with my new dress (see above) or many other formal/semi-formal outfits especially if I get some silvery shoes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150022179261&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

What do you think? What colour bag/shoes would you suggest with my new dress?

Cheers

Timtammi

congratulations on your win.you are probably right about why it did not go higher in price.

I also bought my formal dress on ebay and she only had a photo that didnt show clearly the dress. I was the only bidder so got it at my minimum price. I felt really bad when i got the dress and saw it in "real Life" it fit perfectly travels real well and was so cheap. It is going to cost more to dry clean it that i paid for it.

As to if it is formal enough i cannot say just wanted to say well done on a great buy and share my story.

Moral: if selling clothes make sure you have good photos if you want a good price.

karon

So now I've got the dress I need to think about shoes and a bag. I'm bidding on this cute silver bag which I think would go with my new dress (see above) or many other formal/semi-formal outfits especially if I get some silvery shoes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150022179261&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

What do you think? What colour bag/shoes would you suggest with my new dress?

Cheers

Timtammi

Don't jump too soon! Make sure the dress fits and looks great on you before you go shoe shopping!

Personally, I like to see gold with red, rather than silver, or a pair of very thin strappy high heeled black sandals. Or, I'd do a bronze. I'm just not crazy for the light color of silver with a dark colored dress. For me, silver goes better with white or pale pastel colors better.

Congratulations! It's a beautiful dress!

As far as accessory color, I think silver and red look pretty together depending on the shade of red and the detailing. I have a red dress with detailing that I think will look better with silver than gold. Gold would look too harsh.

I hope it fits!

Different opinions are great! I just like to not have the shoes "pop" out when wearing a bright color, like silver may do. Shoes should be the accessory, not the focal point.

Absolutely! Personally, I think with my red dress, my silver shoes wouldn't pop out as much as gold would and I just plain don't like the look of black with it.

But as I get closer to the cruise, I may decide to take my dress shopping and see what it looks like with bronze shoes or a muted gold.

Cute dress. Good price. I am the bargain queen. If you saw a earlier post, I bought my mother of bride/cruise dress for $30 on clearance down from $198 at David's Bridal. Some beads were missing but they are suppose to be putting them on now for free. I do need the shoulders pulled up a bit but I have a friend who does alterations cheap.

Congratulations and hope it fits.

Yes you are all right, I should wait to get the dress before I go buying accessories. I'm the high bidder on the evening bag now and the auction ends soon so I may well get that now. That's ok as I have lots of other things I can use the bag with if it doesn't go with that dress.

I'm not a gold person, I only ever wear white gold/silver/platinum (preferably platinum :) ) jewelry so if going with anything metallic I would only ever go silver or maybe pewter or bronze. I do have some lovely very thin strappy stiletto heels which are black with a diamonte buckle which may work with the dress. Thats what I have worn with another red dress I have but although I love red I'm always unsure what colour to accessorise with it!

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Timtammi

Archived