Age restrictions for spa treatments?

njdgs

According to the website you must be 18 to get certain spa treatments, such as massages. My daughter, who will be just shy of her 18th birthday when we sail, has reserved a massage through the Cruise Personalizer. Will they not allow her to get this massage? Has anyone had any experience in this area?

According to the website you must be 18 to get certain spa treatments, such as massages. My daughter, who will be just shy of her 18th birthday when we sail, has reserved a massage through the Cruise Personalizer. Will they not allow her to get this massage? Has anyone had any experience in this area?

Hi,

I've tried to book spa treatment on the Cruise Personalizer but cannot find where you do it. Can you please point it out to me.

They really aren't allowed to massage people under 18 but this is what happened to me on another line. I got a great reflexology massage, I asked if they were doing poolside massages because my then 4 year old got one the year before on the same line. She said probably not but said if I accompanied him she would give him a massage. She gave him a 30 minute foot and full body massage and didn't even charge me- what a girl! I of course tipped her at the end of the cruise.

But I suspect that the cruise lines are pretty strict about this. Maybe they will have the poolside massages or might bend the rules for her. You might have to make an arrangement with one of the spa girls like I did.

Allowing an adult to give a 4 year old a full body massage... No disrespect, but are you out of your mind :eek::eek::eek::eek:

First let me explain that the previous year we were on a 14 day transatlantic cruise. They had a massage chair out by the pool. No one was getting them. It was $ 1.00 per minute for a back and neck massage. That is a steal! I got one for ten minutes ($10.00) and my 4 year old saw this and asked for one. It was the cutest thing and people around didn't think I was "out of my mind"- as you so elequently put it.

So, the next day, he had another 10 minute back rub by the pool and loved it.

That's why I asked if they did that on my recent cruise. But they don't always do these- it is only if the spa isn't busy with appointments.

So the girl from the spa said- I can give him one if you are present. It was supposed to be 10 minutes but he liked it and she did it for 30 minutes.

Yes, not too many kids get massages- but it was free! There is nothing wrong with massages for kids- but would I pay $ 100 for one? No. I did tip the girl $ 20.

I can't tell you how much fun my son has on cruises in general and how great the staff are to him. They really do love children. In fact, I tell people all the time to travel with small children. I have taken him on 9 cruises (he turns 6 on September 2) and we have had the greatest trips thanks to the staff and their kindness. It is the only way we travel anymore.

Yes I have and my views on giving a 4 year old a full body massage have not changed.

My husband and I read the above-referenced post earlier and were totally aghast that Princess would have allowed a spa employee to perform a full body massage on a 4-year-old. There is nothing "cute" about a young child having this type of spa treatment; it is totally appropriate. I wonder how the child's father feels about this?

The only time that a massage should be performed on a young child is under stict medical supervision and with a massage therapist who is trained and certified to provide this type of therapeutic service to children. Such treatment would be advisable for children who suffer from chronic illness, emotional distress, or persistent pain due to chemotherapy, radiation, etc.

I have a salon appointment this Wednesday and plan to ask both my hair stylist (who also does facials and neck, back, and decollete massage) and my nail therapist (who does foot, ankle, and leg massage) what they think about a 4-year-old having a full body massage. If this thread remains a hot topic, I'll report back.

Chris

First of all I have no idea where you get your information. Secondly, this was a licensed massage therapist. Thirdly, I don't know why you people think a full body massage is. She rubbed his feet (reflexology) and then his hands, arms, legs and back. There is absolutely nothing weird about this- there are books on how to massage your infant and massages are theraputic. Even mothers give their kids back rubs and it is known to help with colic and any number of health problems- so you don't have to be certified. It isn't limited to adults.

The only thing one needs to do is make sure that one has plenty of water afterward.

In any event, don't worry this was not something that is routinely done. Get over it. I was trying to say that they probably will let an 17.999 year old get a massage but they also may not. It just depends on how flexible the spa is. They want to keep kids out of the spa- that's why you have to be 18. If has nothing to do with the health of the child.

She was a massage therapist and an extremely good one. I has a reflexology message with her and also a full body Swedish massage prior to her working on my son. All cruise ship employees have the same training at a place in London (all cruise lines use this school). Each person is certified for different things.

I was a hair stylist and have talked in great detail about this with the spa personnel. I have been on 16 (in the past 10 years) cruises and have heard the same information.

As for you, you seem to know more than everyone. Where do you get all of your knowledge?

It seems you like to talk about issues that don't even involve you. When was the last time you went to the spa? Who did you talk to? My best friend is a massuesse and it is a genuine profession and they don't allow people to bill themselves as massage therapists that aren't licensed.

Unless you talking about prostitutes!

Child massage is an accepted practice in many countries and it is gaining in popularity here in the US. Studies have shown that children show a marked improvement in stress levels, depression, and other conditions when given appropriate massage therapy.

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/Therapies/MassageTherapy-Research.htm#Massage%20therapy%20and%20%20stress%20and%20anxiety%20in%20children

http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1987

If done in the presence of a parent, I don't see the problem with massage as the poster above described. It's not like the 4 year old is going to a skanky massage parlor and being exposed and sexually stimulated out of the presence of his mother.

That said, I'm still surprised a massage would be given to a child on a cruise ship, particularly with a female to a male child, just because most of them have pretty strict policies about age, usually at least 16 or older. I've stayed at resorts that will do massages on 14 year olds, with parental permission and same sex therapists.

You are correct about the fact that they don't do massages on children. This woman did this because on the story that I told earlier in my post. She did it as a favor because she trusted me and I haven't revealed her name or the cruise line because of this reason.

I do know that the kids will not have any problem getting a massage by the pool. There is no age limit and it is really great if you can get one. On the line I was on (not Princess) they were $ 1 per minute. It was a great deal.

Several other posters have questioned the propriety of a 4-year old child getting a massage. I have two major concerns.

First, the defense that the treatment was given by a certified massage therapist does not address the fact that cruise ship spa staff do not have any training giving massages to children whose muscle tissue is substantially different from an adult. The supporting argument that massages for children are becoming more commonplace makes too many generalities. Massage therapy for children is almost exclusively for those with serious health problems, such as cancer, and performed by professionals with specific training.

My more serious concern is that a young boy who gets pleasure from touching by a stranger would be an easier target for a possible sexual predator. As a former educator and local school board officer, I am aware of the unfortunate truth that there are too many deviant individuals who have access to our young people. Every effort must be made to protect them.

Several other posters have questioned the propriety of a 4-year old child getting a massage. I have two major concerns.

First, the defense that the treatment was given by a certified massage therapist does not address the fact that cruise ship spa staff do not have any training giving massages to children whose muscle tissue is substantially different from an adult. The supporting argument that massages for children are becoming more commonplace makes too many generalities. Massage therapy for children is almost exclusively for those with serious health problems, such as cancer, and performed by professionals with specific training.

My more serious concern is that a young boy who gets pleasure from touching by a stranger would be an easier target for a possible sexual predator. As a former educator and local school board officer, I am aware of the unfortunate truth that there are too many deviant individuals who have access to our young people. Every effort must be made to protect them.

A simple google of child massage quickly reveals that massage therapy is not only performed on children with serious illnesses such as cancer. Many societies perform it on perfectly healthy children and are reporting positive effects (Sweden for example). Mothers of infants are instructed in how to perform it on their own children. Books abound on the best techniques, etc.

Now whether it is appropriate or safe for children is for the experts to debate and I am certainly not one.

Njdgs: To give you somwhat of an answer to your question, as I don't want to get into the previous posts. When you get on the ship and go to the spa, you might also want to inquire if they will have "teenager" specials during the week. We have sailed on Princess a lot and my daughter is turning 17 this fall. She has had a couple of treatments through their teen program in the spa. One was a facial and the other was a head, neck and shoulder massage for teens. The prices for these are quite a bit cheaper than for adults and the spa personnel did an excellent job. Now for the full massage that she signed up for, I'm not sure if they will do that or not. I go to a lady at my hair spa that just does massages. She told me she is not able to massage anyone under 18 because of certain state laws unless I was present. Haven't asked again and that is fine. I would not want her to feel like she is being put in an uncomfortable position even if there is the fine line in the law stating if a "parent is present."

Have a great cruise. Definitely ask about the teen spa program also. I was really surprised at the better prices and my daughter loved it.

Hulagirl

We were on the CB's 7/15 sailing and my daughter who is almost 15 was able to get an Aroma Therapy massage. She was alone in the room with the female therapist and I and my mom were in adjacent rooms. We booked our massages as soon as we boarded and I asked if because of her age she could have a massage - they said no problem.

Tracy

The one concern I would have is this:

My friend intended to get a massage while pregnant and was denied. The reason is that while a person is getting massaged, toxins are released into their system.

I also remember hearing something similar while I was undergoing treatment for an injury. For that reason, I would think that a massage given to a child should only be administered by those properly trained.

Just my 2 cents.

My friend intended to get a massage while pregnant and was denied. The reason is that while a person is getting massaged, toxins are released into their system.

I also remember hearing something similar while I was undergoing treatment for an injury. For that reason, I would think that a massage given to a child should only be administered by those properly trained.

Just my 2 cents.

When I was pregnant, I used to visit a massage therapist who specialized in pregnant women - recommended by my ultra conservative OB-Gyn. Go figure.

When I was pregnant, I used to visit a massage therapist who specialized in pregnant women - recommended by my ultra conservative OB-Gyn. Go figure.

Exactly my point- the person specialized in massage for pregnant women. That was a wise thing to do, did it help your pregnancy?

I was thinking about the poster who said that there was something untoward about the practice of massage and I remember my whole family getting chair massages at the airport in Puerto Rico (my 14 year old, and then 3 year old). So there is no problem with this. Spas on cruise ships prohit kids for other reasons- noise namely!

Exactly my point- the person specialized in massage for pregnant women. That was a wise thing to do, did it help your pregnancy?

She specialized in pregnant women, but she had no special certification that differed from other therapists I'd used. I noticed nothing different other than she had to be able to do the massage in positions not typical of normal massage. Obviously a pregnant woman can't be comfortable in certain positions, and as the baby grows larger, you can't lie on your back because the weight of the baby puts pressure on certain blood vessels. But it's not like she had a Master's degree in massage or anything.

And it didn't help my pregnancy per se, but it did make me feel good just like most of the massages I've received. I'm a sucker for a good massage.

Just my 2 cents.

I would agree with that if you are referring to some type of deep tissue massage, and perhaps that's the point of contention with some people here. I rub my kids' backs, shoulders, feet, etc. all the time when they come back from sports and have since they were little and the only credentials I have is that I'm a loving mother. My husband has been giving me back rubs for years, and he's had not one minute of training. It's really no big deal. A gentle massage is not going to hurt anyone.

Archived