Beware Of This Taxi!!!

artt

We just returned from the Glory and one of our ports was Cozumel. WARNING!! The taxi prices are posted, however, boy were we taken for a ride!!! We had a van (because we had 7 people) take us to Playa Mia. We were originally going to Paradise Beach and changed our mind because Playa Mia had a pool. They are within walking distance of each other. The posted signs said $14 and we assumed that was each way. The taxi driver waited for us because we had been told that would be a guaranteed fare for him and would give us a good deal. We were going to go to Carlos and Charlies. On the way back, he said we owed him $70!!! We disputed and mentioned the sign. He insisted it was $70 and became very rude. We were scared he wouldn't take us back if we put up too much of a stink. Long story short...boy did we get screwed and left us with a terrible impression of Cozumel!!! DON'T USE CAB #261!!!

I will be on the Glory on Saturday and in Cozumel next Monday. Thanks for the info. Do you remember which pier you docked at? Or did you tender?

We booked a Glass Bottom boat excursion and we may need to use a cab to get there....but I will be careful!

Sounds like it was a 'normal' van taxi (white with red stripe) if you got its number? Others vans charge more as they are 'private hire' rather than a normal cab.

To be honest, $70 for 7 people to Playa Mia and back, including the taxi waiting for you, doesn't sound too bad to me - although another local maybe able to confirm how much it should cost for sure.

The price of $14 may have been for a normal (4 seater) taxi one way to Paradise Beach. For larger groups they sometimes charge per person I think, which can be very confusing. Also, Playa Mia I think costs a little more than Paradise Beach as it is a bit further away.

Don't get me wrong, I never usually defend taxi drivers, but I suspect that your driver was slack in explaining how much it was going to cost and it sounds like he wasn't the friendliest of our beautiful island's representatives. But, for what it's worth, I don't think you were ripped off as badly as you think. Taxis really can be quite expensive here!

Ian

Archived