Advice Please -- Spirit vs. Star; Diamond vs. Sapphire

ModestMeans

After much research, have narrowed June 2005 cruise choice down to NCL or Princess, r/t from Seattle. I would welcome any advice in choosing between the 2 lines -- also in choosing between the 2 ships in each line. (I believe the 2 Princess ships are identical so assume the experience is too)

Particularly interested in picking a trip that 16 & 18 yo sons will enjoy.

Princess is a little more upscale than NCL, but both are good, and the bottom line is finding the best overall deal. We we just on the Diamond in a mini-suite (we loved it)--if you get one with an extra berth that swings out from the ceiling (in addition to the sofa bed), it would have plenty of room for the four of you, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. Four people can sit on the balcony at the same time easily.

Other rooms would probably be big enough for this as well if the mini-suite is too much $.

As for DP v. SP, pick which itinerary you like best--they leave on different days and don't spend the same amount of time in each port.

Les

After much research, have narrowed June 2005 cruise choice down to NCL or Princess, r/t from Seattle. I would welcome any advice in choosing between the 2 lines -- also in choosing between the 2 ships in each line. (I believe the 2 Princess ships are identical so assume the experience is too)

Particularly interested in picking a trip that 16 & 18 yo sons will enjoy.

If you are interested in the Diamond Princess I will be hosting a CC group cruise next year in June 2005.. feel free to email at carocruiser@aol.com and I'll also email you when rates come out..

Re: Your ship choices: Diamond and Sapphire are identical. Have been to Alaska on Princess and other cruise lines and prefer Princess and chose Diamond for Seattle departure and the ports of call -- they are the same as Sapphire in terms of "where" but the port call times are longer and better on Diamond itinerary and it cruises Tracy Arm later in the day when it is more likely that fog will have lifted (although there can always be foggy misty days in Alaska.. part of the weather). Also like Princess "personal choice" dining options on this itinerary where port calls aren't just 9 to 5...

NCL's ships are very similar. They also have a "freestyle" dining program that works well. Biggest difference in these three ships is NCL Star goes to Glacier Bay which is a plus for many. It is incredible. Only HAL and NCL go to the Bay from Seattle. I have not compared port times on these two ships but would suggest you check that.

Re activities for the boys... kayaking, hiking (great around Skagway and also Mt Roberts in Juneau), fishing etc. My college age son went with us once as a "favor" to mom :rolleyes: and ended up having a great time hiking Dewey Trail with some crew he met up with and kayaking in the waters near Ketchikan.

Archived