Photos of our Cruise: yukon highway and bears

wdblake

Thanks for sharing the excellent shots! What type of camera do you use? I loved the crystal-clear pictures of the black bear and the Skagway shots have heavenly quality about them. Bravo!

-Matt

I used a Fuji Finepix S5100. It was relatively inexpensive and features a built

in 10X zoom lens.

For the bears we booked our own excursion. We went with Family Air. They were fairly priced and they pick you up and drop you off right at the dock. Very friendly! Views from the float plane phenominal. Lots and lots of bears. Anan is supposed to be one of the most populated areas near Ketchikan.

Fantastic pics...esp. bears. Just how close were you?! Were these seen while w/Family Air? Not sure I followed you here. We're going w/them in about 3 wks. & I thought seeing bears was unlikely now. Had to watch the slideshow twice! Thx for sharing. [also a great site for showing..I'm too illiterate to know how to even do the posting of pics.]

Fantastic pics...esp. bears. Just how close were you?! Were these seen while w/Family Air? Not sure I followed you here. We're going w/them in about 3 wks. & I thought seeing bears was unlikely now. Had to watch the slideshow twice! Thx for sharing. [also a great site for showing..I'm too illiterate to know how to even do the posting of pics.]

Family Air was the float plane tour company we took out of Ketchikan to Anan creek. In Anan creek you walk along a boardwalk through the woods to an observatory right by the creek where they fish for salmon. There is a small wooden fence around the observatory that the bears seem to respect. There is always a ranger on staff with bear spray just in case. The bears really are interested in humans since they are gorging on fish. Don't know how likely bear sightings are in 3 weeks but Anan is supposed to be one of the most populated areas. Good Luck on your tour!

Thanks for sharing your great pics, we leave next Saturday and are booked to go to Traitor's cove to see the bears.

Also have a cab booked in Skagway and plan to drive to Emerald lakes and see those stunning views.

I would think a cab ride would be very expensive since it is an hour and a half drive to get there. You should look into renting a car with Avis. The avis rentalplace is easy to find and the road to emerald lake is literally one road out of skagway with no turns to deal with.

Those are the most incredible bear pics ever !!! Thank you so much for sharing. I have been wanting to return to Alaska and those pics brought tears to my eyes. I can't show them to DH. When were you in Ketchikan ?

We were in Ketchikan on 8/8/06. It was our favorite little town of all the ones we saw. Creek Street was really fun. It seemed less busy than Juneau and less touristy than Skagway. Can't wait to return and will probably visit my bear friends again. Glad you liked the pics!

We were in Ketchikan on 8/8/06. It was our favorite little town of all the ones we saw. Creek Street was really fun. It seemed less busy than Juneau and less touristy than Skagway. Can't wait to return and will probably visit my bear friends again. Glad you liked the pics!

We liked Ketcikan, too, and we didn't even see the bears. :p We were there in early July. Next time we will go later in the season. We hear its less crowded then. Again, thanks for sharing the pics. I did tell DH about them and also a friend of mine who loves bears. I also like that photo site. Very nice presentation.

Family Air was the float plane tour company we took out of Ketchikan to Anan creek. In Anan creek you walk along a boardwalk through the woods to an observatory right by the creek where they fish for salmon. There is a small wooden fence around the observatory that the bears seem to respect. There is always a ranger on staff with bear spray just in case. The bears really are interested in humans since they are gorging on fish. Don't know how likely bear sightings are in 3 weeks but Anan is supposed to be one of the most populated areas. Good Luck on your tour!

I, too, love the pictures of the bears - do you remember the cost of the excursion?

I, too, love the pictures of the bears - do you remember the cost of the excursion?

Transportation price for this adventure is

$395.00 per person (this includes permits)

2 person minimum/4person maximum.

Well worth it!

Posted some photos for all to enjoy. One album is on the Yukon highway from Skagway to the emerald lake. The other album is shots of bears we saw in Anan Creek while in Ketchikan.

http://wblake1.photosite.com/

Hey wdblake,

on which ship have you been? Can you tell me the name of your shore excursions? Especially the one with the bears! I will be on an Alascan cruise in the mid of September and I really want to see some bears as well! Do you think this will still be possible or is it then already to late? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your reply

Klausi

Hey wdblake,

on which ship have you been? Can you tell me the name of your shore excursions? Especially the one with the bears! I will be on an Alascan cruise in the mid of September and I really want to see some bears as well! Do you think this will still be possible or is it then already to late? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your reply

Klausi

We sailed the Sun Princess. The bear excursion we booked independantly not through the cruise line. The company is called Family Air. We did this because we heard Anan creek offered the best viewing and the ships shore excursions didn't go there. I looked at a wildlife chart for Sitka (I assume Ketchikan would be similar) and they showed optimal viewing through September. Of course no one can promise wildlife but Anan Creek would probably be your best shot.

Archived