Just off Grandeur 9-Night (8/18 - 8/27) if you have questions just ask

We live not too far from Baltimore, so we plan to just drive and park there for the 9 day leaving 9/29/06--my understanding is that there is secure parking there, but just looking to see if anyone else did that and if there were any problems or if the price was outrageous. Assume it's easy to find? Thanks!

We were on the 8/18 cruise and parked at the pier. It's right next to the dock and is very easy to find and appears very secure. It is $10/day CASH only in advance!! No credit cards! I think they might take travelers checks too. Just follow the signs to the passenger terminal. You can go to the Port of Baltimore website for more details.

Have a great cruise.

Does the Grandeur have a basketball court? That's a question my kids have!

Thanks!

Mary

Not that I remember seeing and I was all over the ship. There are two shuffle board courts, a rock climbing wall, a running track and a nice exercise room.

Great thread. Thanks Uncle Bob! DW and I are booked 11/10.

We plan to board about 11:00 am, which seems to beat the rush. Are they serving lunch prior to departure? When did rooms become available?

Which were the better dishes served at dinner? Any suggestions? Any things to pass on? (The cheesecake, it seems, is almost universally panned.)

We're set to go w/ David and Ivan at Costa Maya. What's the best way to get from ship to their meeting place? Did anyone venture over to the eco-beach place to the immediate right of the pier, behind the fence?

Thanks for the help.

We boarded GOS about 11:30 am a couple of weeks ago. Lunch was available in the Windjammer. It was fairly crowded but a nice view of the dock. Cabins were available about 1:00 pm.

We took the David and Ivan tour. You walk to the very back of the Costa Maya port complex (follow the emergency exit signs). There is a booth outside the complex which sells tickets for the vans/buses. They are $3 per/person. You just tell them you want to go to Majahwal (mah-hah-wal). The bus stops at the end of the main street and Caroline greeted us and showed us where the Cat's Meow is. It's not hard to find. David and Ivan will either drop you back at the port or take you back to town after the tour. We had a great time.

Can't answer your beach question.

Have a great cruise!

Oops - forgot to answer your food questions....I generally followed the recommendations of my waiter. I especially enjoyed the Thai Shrimp on-night. Not spicy, very nice sauce with rice and veggies. A couple times our table mates chose something other than Vijay's recommendation and weren't as happy. Cheesecake wasn't that great. Key Lime pie on the last night was yummy - although I'm no Key Lime pie expert.

I never left the table hungry! My daughter liked the chilled fruit soups. I tried a couple and enjoyed them.

Great thread. Thanks Uncle Bob! DW and I are booked 11/10.

We plan to board about 11:00 am' date=' which seems to beat the rush. Are they serving lunch prior to departure? When did rooms become available?

Which were the better dishes served at dinner? Any suggestions? Any things to pass on? (The cheesecake, it seems, is almost universally panned.)

We're set to go w/ David and Ivan at Costa Maya. What's the best way to get from ship to their meeting place? Did anyone venture over to the eco-beach place to the immediate right of the pier, behind the fence?

Thanks for the help.[/quote']

As SOCCERMOM said food is available in the WIndjammer and rooms are available at 1:00 pm.

I don't eat meat so I can't really comment on those dishes but the fish was excellent. Each night brought something new and delicious. The salmon was excellent and the cod on the first or second night was excellent as well. I read in this thread that some people didn't like the lobster but I liked it so much I had four portions.

If you want something special make sure you order the day ahead of time otherwise they can't give it to you. I ordered shrimp cocktail a few times the day before so I was the only one having it.

Can't help with the Costa May question, we did the dune buggy tour. I can say that the beach we went to was awesome and the water in Costa Maya is beautiful. If you plan to swim in the pool at the pier the water is salt so be prepared.

I'm sure you will have an awesome trip!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't wear a jacket, just shirt and tie and that seemed to fit in just fine. I did see some people with Tux and gowns but only a few.

My favorite port on the Eastern side is St. Maarten. Beautiful beaches and great water.

Have a great time.

• 5 months later...

Archived