Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

On the Princess Saphire on cruise to Alaska unfortunately not much was good...Very unlike Princess! But the worst thing was on the buffet they had deviled eggs. Oh they were bad!! It was really a shame as they were very pretty! The texture was just like the way I picture biting into a hunk of silicone tub caulk!

• 2 weeks later...

Grilled cheese and mac & cheese on RCI. One night, nothing appealed to me on the MDR menu, so I thought I'd try the kids menu. Living in Europe, it had been a long time since I had grilled cheese or mac & cheese, so I was pretty excited about it.

The grilled cheese arrived cold and it was triple decker style and made with those rubbery imitation cheese slices and barely melted with no buttery outside or toasting to speak of.

The mac & cheese was rubbery and flavorless, I'm pretty sure it was Easy Mac. After reading the thread about the Carnival mac & cheese recipe, I was expecting something good, but it was disgusting.

I ended up in Windjammer that night with yet another salad.

Grilled cheese and mac & cheese on RCI. One night, nothing appealed to me on the MDR menu, so I thought I'd try the kids menu. Living in Europe, it had been a long time since I had grilled cheese or mac & cheese, so I was pretty excited about it.

The grilled cheese arrived cold and it was triple decker style and made with those rubbery imitation cheese slices and barely melted with no buttery outside or toasting to speak of.

The mac & cheese was rubbery and flavorless, I'm pretty sure it was Easy Mac. After reading the thread about the Carnival mac & cheese recipe, I was expecting something good, but it was disgusting.

I hate to break it to you... but that's what kids like. They don't want gourmet cheeses or fancy breads. In fact my 5 year old would likely turn it down if it wasn't just good old rubbery american cheese on toasted bread. Kids don't have great palets and when I do make fancy foods they are wasted on him. He'd rather have easy mac than a homemade mac and cheese with 3 kinds of cheese in it and real cream (I know this because I've served him both). When we buy chocolate milk from a local farm we have to put half regular white in it to dilute it because it's not the cheap immitation flavor he's expecting and won't drink it. Now the 15 year old disagrees with him, he'd rather have the foods I make and the higher quality chocolate milk and we ruin every day food for him when we do these things, hehe.

Edited by sherilyn70

I hate to break it to you... but that's what kids like. They don't want gourmet cheeses or fancy breads. In fact my 5 year old would likely turn it down if it wasn't just good old rubbery american cheese on toasted bread. Kids don't have great palets and when I do make fancy foods they are wasted on him. He'd rather have easy mac than a homemade mac and cheese with 3 kinds of cheese in it and real cream (I know this because I've served him both).

Do you just follow me around the boards to nitpick my posts? :rolleyes:

Actually, those fake cheese slices aren't too bad in grilled cheese when they're actually warm and melted. I wasn't expecting aged sharp cheese on whole grain bread, but at minimum I'd expect a grilled cheese to be grilled/toasted, the cheese melted, and served warm.

Based on the Carnival Mac & Cheese thread, it seems that more than one kid seems enjoy the dish, which is made with 5 kinds of cheese including brie.

Your kids might not have great palates, that doesn't mean all kids don't have great palates, I know plenty who do.

Edited by Girl_from_Ipanema

Do you just follow me around the boards to nitpick my posts? :rolleyes:

Your kids might not have great palates, that doesn't mean all kids don't have great palates, I know plenty who do.

LOL, look above... I posted here first. :)

As for kids, most american kids do not have good palates. I think that's a pretty commonly known fact and why chefs hate cooking for children. It may not be true in other countries or rich areas where people can afford to feed their children high end food all of the time. But for most of America it is sadly true.

• 2 weeks later...

To the previous 2 posters-now ladies....

The secret to a great Eggs Benedict on Carnival...,Eat in the MDR, and order the Eggs Benedict with the Hollandaise on the side. Now they can't serve you an egg that's been sitting out for hours, because you can see the egg, so they make them fresh, when you order the sauce on the side...............(think When Harry met Sally) on the side..

The worst I have had was avocado soup on the Carnival Legend, I love avocado, what could go wrong? WAY TOO MUCH SALT.....and that seems to be the normal complaint from what I have been reading on this post, too much salt in the foods. Now you know why our ankles swell.......:eek:

The secret to a great Eggs Benedict on Carnival...,Eat in the MDR, and order the Eggs Benedict with the Hollandaise on the side. Now they can't serve you an egg that's been sitting out for hours, because you can see the egg, so they make them fresh, when you order the sauce on the side...............(think When Harry met Sally) on the side..

That's a great idea! If we ever use carnvial again I may have to try that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

hamburgers on NCL POA

We tried them at the Key West grill and the Aloha Cafe. Butler said we could try sliders at Lazy J, but the meat would be the same. The patties had some odd flavor we cannot place. Does anyone know? My spouse did not think anyone could mess up a burger, but sho nuf.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've had several things I didn't like but just thinking about my last few cruises - I'm sad to say that two cruises ago I ate in Sabatini's Restaurant on the Sapphire Princess and ordered the lobster as my main course. They served it in some weird brown sauce. Never had lobster served that way. It was gross tasting and very salty. I sent it back. Very strange as in the main dining room on Princess on lobster night they don't serve it in that brown sauce. It's pretty good in the MDR and in the Steak Houses on Princess. Just stay away from the lobster in Sabatini's:p

Oh my goodness! That sounds just horrible. Can't imagine them putting imitation cheese slices in a mac and cheese. Yuck:eek:

This mushroom ravioli was the most disgusting thing I ordered on the NCL Pearl. It just tasted terrible and was greasier than a deep dish pizza.

img_2149.jpg

Thankfully after trying it I ordered a new entree. DH had a side of Asian veggie pasta on his plate so I ordered an entree of that. I mean come on, the ONE vegetarian entree can't have at least one veggie visible??!?!

I got this which was tasty!

img_2152.jpg

If the only vege in this is the green thing (kale?), dont overlook the red and green peppers and pea pods, looks more like chicken lo mein than a vegetarian dish. Does look very appetizing. Raviolis look like they were served in an oil spill.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmmm it's funny. You always remember your good, bad & UGLY meals!

Carnival - Uh braised short ribs. Like mushy pot roast. (I can't stand pot roast.)

NCL - OMG the entire MDR. Especially the Veal parm. Anyone for a prefab chicken rondelet patty? If I ever sail them again I will go to a specialty, every day.

Celebrity-(And I should have listened to the waiter) the quail. LOTS of SAGE wild rice inside a tiny bird cavity. No meat, all SAGE. Also the Branzino at Normandie. It's not a bad fish dish, you just need to like a heavy oilier fish. Like a oil preserved sturgeon.

RCL- Eww That dreaded crabcake. Imitation crabmeat & cracker crumbs. EWWW. Tie for 2nd. -- The briased lamb shank & Lobster bisque.

• 3 weeks later...
Almost every MDR item on Grandeur of the Seas. ;)

Wow! Does RCI have the same menu throughout their cruise ships or do the newer ships like the Oasis and Allure have a different menu? I've been reading reviews on the RCI boards and they seem to be pretty good.

Wow! Does RCI have the same menu throughout their cruise ships or do the newer ships like the Oasis and Allure have a different menu? I've been reading reviews on the RCI boards and they seem to be pretty good.

Sorry, I was only speaking about our experience on the Granduer. Others disagree with my opinion. ;)

That is a good question. All the Caribbean menus I have sailed on over the last 10 yrs on RCI have been the same. With the exception of the elimination of the "Caribbean" menu & it was replaced by the "Get out there" menu. (Thats the parmesan crusted turkey tenderloins menu.) Scary because I usually remind the waiter what's for dinner the following night. My guess is that they are the same.

Interesting though, RCI doesn't really use that get out there phrase anymore since they moved onto the "Nation of why not" campaign so I wonder if & when they will make any new changes. It would be nice... Starting with desserts!

I sailed on the Enchanted Isle of Commodore Cruise Lines years ago and they featured a carrot stuffed chicken breast which they referred to as prize winning. What prize I have no idea! The comedian on board referred to it as the chicken with the orange crayon in it!:eek: