Why is wireless internet not free for Platinum?

SC_Sam

Does anybody have a legitimate reason why Princess does not make the wireless internet free for Platinum level Captain's Circle members? Surely, it can't use that much bandwidth. Seems like it would free up some of the internet cafe terminals, as well.

Also, I wonder why with all the modern technology marvels of these new ships like CB and Crown, there aren't simply network jacks in the cabins. I have heard some of the other lines have hardwired jacks in the cabins.

If you've got some answers, I'd love to hear them. If you're in agreement, reply and voice your opinion. Maybe someone from Princess will notice. This is not an unreasonable request.

(Don't bother posting that I shouldn't be taking my computer on a cruise. We cruise 2-3 times per year and I am self-employed. Having contact with my office is vital.)

Nobody gets it free, not gold, platinum or elite. Guess they would rather have passengers busy on their vacation then sitting in front of their computers. LOL (just kidding)

I don't expect them to give free wireless anytime in the future. Not sure why, but hey, we get free access in the internet cafe, what else matters?

If I had to work on a cruise, I would just stay home instead. :(

For the same reason that you have to "check in" every 30 minutes to get a new "coupon" to continue to use wireless internet. It doesn't make sense as compare to other cruise lines but they do.

"We cruise 2-3 times per year and I am self-employed. Having contact with my office is vital." Do you charge extra for this serice? Then just charge back this service while you are on a cruise. Otherwise take a different cruiseline

Does anybody have a legitimate reason why Princess does not make the wireless internet free for Platinum level Captain's Circle members?

Because if you can afford the "Platinum level Captain's Circle membership", you can afford to pay for the internet access. Sorry! Just envious of your being able to cruise 3 times a year - sympathy level drops a lttle bit in these circumstances! hehe!

For the same reason that you have to "check in" every 30 minutes to get a new "coupon" to continue to use wireless internet. It doesn't make sense as compare to other cruise lines but they do.

Never saw anything like this last month on the Golden and I used wireless all the time.

If you're in agreement, reply and voice your opinion. Maybe someone from Princess will notice. This is not an unreasonable request.

Sam, I do agree with you. The Captain's Circle "benefits" are almost a joke. I can't think of anything useful about being Platinum except the free internet - so what's the big deal about allowing us free internet on our own computers? Of course, the only other platinum perk is that special lounge we can sit in while we wait to disembark. That might be nice except that staff is so busy at that time they don't bother to look at anyone's cards, so everybody gets in and when the Platinum members arrive, there are no seats left (or at least that has been my unhappy experience).

Of course, the only other platinum perk is that special lounge we can sit in while we wait to disembark. That might be nice except that staff is so busy at that time they don't bother to look at anyone's cards, so everybody gets in and when the Platinum members arrive, there are no seats left (or at least that has been my unhappy experience).

We must be hitting it very lucky then. We have always had our cards checked at the Platinum disembarkation lounge. If passengers aren't at least Platinum status, they don't get in. Heck, usually it is so empty that we could barely believe it. Maybe we just choose the right sailings or something where there aren't as many interested in it.

Sorry you have had this problem in the past.

Ditto - last cruise we were on, the disembarkation lounge was almost empty!! The Club lady knew us, so didn't check our card!!

We are Platinum and I only occasionally use the internet - retired!! But I must agree that I don't see any reason to charge extra for it!! Except that PeterV, a fellow Londoner, is quite correct - just another way of making money!!

Archived