Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

After reading the threads about hotels in Tampa and researching the prices on every travel site on-line, I decided to take a shot at priceline. I think the hotels in Tampa are pretty expensive and we needed to stay 2 nights before our cruise on April 2nd. Anyway, I bid $65.00 and got nothing, so the next night went to $70.00 and they accepted. We have 2 rooms now at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Tampa. I've read several reviews and really don't know what to expect. Disappointed that they charge for parking and have no breakfast, but hopefully it will be worth the price. Most of the other hotels I'd checked were $140.00 and up. I'm considering waiting until I get there to look around and book one night after our cruise before we fly home, or I might try priceline again and get an airport hotel. They had better prices. Any suggestions on getting from the pier on return to a hotel? Anything would be helpful, really new to priceline and have never been to Tampa. I started to book the Hampton in Yabor, but now I will take the Hyatt in downtown. Hope I don't regret this.

We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) and I do not want to pay for two rooms.I am afraid to bid and end up with a hotel that does not take five in one room. Any suggestion how to bid on priceline?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Staro you have reason to be warry. We used to use PL all the time. I would bok, then call hotel and request 2 doubles etc. Last time we used PL we booked in NOLA, long before katrina. They booked us in one double bed SMOKING room at the then Raddison...4 people with 1 double!

They would not move us either. Last time , no more

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had never used a bidding site before, but the hotel prices in tampa were way too high for my post cruise night. (Tampa Bay home game may have been the problem).

Using Hotwire I booked this:

Date: Oct 14, 2007

Number of nights: 1 (post cruise)

Hotel: Wyndham Westshore (Intercontinental Tampa)

Rating: 4 star (3 1/2)

Area: Airport / Westshore

Site: Hotwire

Winning Bid: $93 ;)

Taxes & Service Fees: $18.57

• 2 weeks later...

After bidding off and on for the past few weeks and being rejected (including a higher bid that I made yesterday) this is what I just got:

Bid: Tampa Downtown

Hotel won: Hyatt Regency Tampa

Rating: 3 stars

Date of stay: Sept 1, 2007 (1 night)

Winning Bid: $75.00

Taxes and fees: $17.19

Total: $92.19

I was trying to keep it at $90 total. Woo hoo!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been bidding low for tampa downtown for quite a while with no luck. I had time on my side so it was worth the shots just incase. I finally gave in and extended my area to include Tampa airport area and it gave me a counter offer which I have never seen happen before. I bid $51 and it told me I could submit a bid with the same criteria without waiting till tomorrow if I was willing to raise my bid by $14. SO I figured if I did that it would go through and I would know where I was staying which was suddenly becoming something I wanted to know lol! Bottom line, it did go through.....

I just got the Radisson Bay Harbor Hotel for a $65 bid for 09/08/07.

I hope that is good. I'm happy with it though either way and I feel good knowing where I'll be now too lol! :)

I'm also considering doing the price line things.. have not done it in the past.. but I'm looking for a hotel in Tampa near the port for 1 night 2 rooms where we can leave the car parked.??

I know that several of the hotels offer free parking but I'm not sure that using priceline would be a good idea since this is a specific need you are looking for (that will save you alot of money). I think you'd be better off booking a pkg deal with a hotel directly that you KNEW would have what you needed. Priceline would be a gamble in my opinion.

.... I finally gave in and extended my area to include Tampa airport area and it gave me a counter offer which I have never seen happen before. I bid $51 and it told me I could submit a bid with the same criteria without waiting till tomorrow if I was willing to raise my bid by $14. .... Bottom line, it did go through.....

For future reference, when you recieve a counter offer, and you have a free rebid left, bid less than half of what the counter offer was. In most cases, it will be accepted. We have won some bids after a counter, by adding only $3. If you don't have any free rebids left, you can always take the chance that waiting 24 hours will give you a winning bid.

For future reference, when you recieve a counter offer, and you have a free rebid left, bid less than half of what the counter offer was. In most cases, it will be accepted. We have won some bids after a counter, by adding only $3. If you don't have any free rebids left, you can always take the chance that waiting 24 hours will give you a winning bid.

Ahhhhh!!! You know I thought about countering for less to see what happened but then I was just thinking....I can know where I will be right now or I can wait another day....I guess the not knowing got the best of me! I will try and be more patient next time! I wish I would have this time now looking back lol! Thank you for the tip for next time though. If I can gain some self control before then I'll be ok lol lol!

I know that several of the hotels offer free parking but I'm not sure that using priceline would be a good idea since this is a specific need you are looking for (that will save you alot of money). I think you'd be better off booking a pkg deal with a hotel directly that you KNEW would have what you needed. Priceline would be a gamble in my opinion.

Thank you for the tip I so much appreciate it.

I will keep that in mind when booking my room for January.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I should post this too. Just won a minivan from hobby for 8 days via priceline bid 25.00 a day with tax and fees 288.00 free parking at the hotel so it is cheaper than taking the shuttle for us.

Wanda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your Offer Price: $66.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $66.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $15.93

Total Charges*: $81.93

Checked biddingfortravel.com to see if anyone was winning downtown Tampa a month out and spotted this price. Won on the 2nd bid - started at 63.00, then went to 66.00 and it was accepted. :)

• 1 month later...

Date: November 18th & 19th, 2007

Number of nights: 2 (pre-cruise)

Hotel: Holiday Inn Express

Rating: 2.5 stars

Area: Manhattan, Chelsea

Site: Priceline

Winning bid: $95 per night

Taxes and services: $20

Comments: king-size bed, breakfast included, brand new hotel next to Madison Square Gardens.