Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

Entering your booking number on HAL's site never brings up any deposit or fare information for your cabin. (Unless they've changed the system in the past 15 minutes since I just updated my emergency point of contact for our next cruise and cost information wasn't there then....nor is there a place for it.) Sounds like you're booked...sort of....but the TA and HAL are in some kind of disagreement about the fare. For whatever reason HAL doesn't necessarily process credit card deposits the exact same day as they process the booking. I know for our upcoming cruise the booking was available on line for me to see almost instantly from when I got the TA's confirmation but the credit card wasn't "hit" for another 3 days for the deposit.

I just phoned Hal and they confirmed the glitch they also said the have it written somewhere that they don't have to honor these prices but that you need to phone your TA. He said to have your TA call Hal. I know that is what our TA did and the guy confirmed that my price is the same.

What sailing is it you booked?

Good luck

Entering your booking number on HAL's site never brings up any deposit or fare information for your cabin. (Unless they've changed the system in the past 15 minutes since I just updated my emergency point of contact for our next cruise and cost information wasn't there then....nor is there a place for it.) Sounds like you're booked...sort of....but the TA and HAL are in some kind of disagreement about the fare. For whatever reason HAL doesn't necessarily process credit card deposits the exact same day as they process the booking. I know for our upcoming cruise the booking was available on line for me to see almost instantly from when I got the TA's confirmation but the credit card wasn't "hit" for another 3 days for the deposit.

No it doesn't give the price but it can prove the date she made the reservation and might give her proof as of the date and the price.

She has to find out for 'how much' it is in the system. Just because here reservation shows, does not mean it is confirmed at the lower price. The booking, once finally made, may have been at the increased fare.

But when you reserve a ticket doesn't it mean you reserved it for that price? I did the same thing she did and they honored the lower price.

All the people that have been receiving refunds because of their glitch does that mean they have to give that back as well?

The TA is supposedly battling it out with HAL now, but I don't know how far to trust them anymore. (I'm not generally very trusting anyway.)

I have a feeling that this could get really ugly. HAL could refuse to honor the price that we are supposedly booked at, saying that it was a computer glitch. The TA could refuse to honor the price that we agreed to, since they haven't run the credit card yet.

Or, there is a small chance that all of this grief and heartburn was for nothing and we will get the fare that we were quoted (I hope, I hope, I hope).

But, like turia said, what about all of the people that have been getting refunds because of this computer glitch?:confused:

I am SO having a stiff drink after work tonight, and a long soak in the jacuzzi. Maybe a few zanax . . . . .:)

I'm guessing there is the possibility your TA quoted the price, OP's father-in-law agreed to it, TA put the paperwork on her desk, waited a day or two, finally called HAL to make the booking and got a 'shock' when she was told the price had gone up. Now, rather than 'fess' up, she is trying to fudge the issue.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but it seems a possible scenario to me.

bankerbabe...

Were you with the group that thought they had a double discount because of a computer glitch? Or was this just another regular booking that the TA forgot to call in before the price rose (as prices will)?

I called my TA, as I am on the Noordam in a month and she chatted with HAL. I'm ok, as I am booked with deposit and reservation number. HAL's rep said there was a problem with their machine and they will not give the added discount which was not originally part of the deal.

Tom C: I don't know which situation applies at this point, as we aren't getting very straight answers from the travel agent and I'm hearing everything second hand through my husband (I'm a little too amped up to be talking on the phone at this point)

We are booked on the 2-17-07 Noordam and have confirmations, booking numbers and paid deposits. Holland America told us that there was a computer glitch over the past weekend and all bookings were made at a super discounted rate that they are not honoring any of the pricings that were made, even with hard copy confirmations. It has nothing to do with the TA. It is 100% Holland America and they are hiding under a rock and saying too bad. They are being so kind to offer a $100 OBC. Certainly it doesn't cover the huge increase they are charging. I have spoken to everyone and they are not budging. They say they are not protecting the price no matter what. Do I smell a lawsuit in the works. I think we need to get everybody together and get a major lawsuit going, plus we need to advise the media of what is happening and how they are not honoring confirmed, deposited reservations and see what happens. I am not even sure when they were going to tell us. If I hadn't called with a question I am not sure I would have known.

KruiseKathy

Should we check with HAL or TA if we made a recent booking? I just paid a deposit last Friday for the Prinsendam in June 2007; our TA offered us a great price and I took it immediately; received confirmation, cabin number, etc., but no booking number yet...

Should I be on the offense and investigate my own booking?

I can't believe this nightmare! I can't believe that Holland America has the nuts to refuse to honor prices booked.

I think that Kruisekathy is right - we need to contact the media. I'll send an email to the Seattle Times. Maybe if they get enough emails from us they will take notice.

My TA is now saying that it's not their problem that it is between us and HAL, that it's not their problem and they are done working with HAL; it's the new price or nothing. This is absurd.

We are booked on the 2-17-07 Noordam and have confirmations, booking numbers and paid deposits. Holland America told us that there was a computer glitch over the past weekend and all bookings were made at a super discounted rate that they are not honoring any of the pricings that were made, even with hard copy confirmations. It has nothing to do with the TA. It is 100% Holland America and they are hiding under a rock and saying too bad. They are being so kind to offer a $100 OBC. Certainly it doesn't cover the huge increase they are charging. I have spoken to everyone and they are not budging. They say they are not protecting the price no matter what. Do I smell a lawsuit in the works. I think we need to get everybody together and get a major lawsuit going, plus we need to advise the media of what is happening and how they are not honoring confirmed, deposited reservations and see what happens. I am not even sure when they were going to tell us. If I hadn't called with a question I am not sure I would have known.

I really feel sorry for all of you, but don't believe you have a leg to stand on..

I believe that glitches in computer systems have been covered in HAL contract's as it is with other Carriers...They have every right to correct the glitches in their pricing & charge the passengers the correct amount..

the only thing that you have a right to get back is the penality for cancelling your air reservations..

It's a shame that your plans have changed, but that is the nature of the beast..It's not like you booked your cruise a year in advance & the prices just changed..

I think there are a couple of things to consider here: if the system spit out a conformation number and it was done before the prices were adjusted it would seem that the old price would stand. It is important to determine in anyway possible when the reservation really was made. Just because there is number it doesn't mean the TA entered it or called the cruise line before the prices went up. It could have been late, she could have been busy, whatever and just wrote the information down, entered it the next morning and that is when the problem arose. No matter what prices were quoted or what glitches were there or not there, until that reservation was actually entered the price has nothing to do with it. HAL should not be expected to honor the price if the reservation was not actually made, nor should anyone expect the Travel agency to be responsible if indeed the reservation was made when the agent claims it was. As for a glitch in the system affect 100s of reservations, I don't think HAL will make them good if this was the situation. All the going to the media, etc won't correct this. I also agree about the errors and ommissions insurance; that is why our company carries it and pay for it every January. Do I like it, nope, have I ever had to use it, nope, but it is nice to know we have it cause every one of us has slipped up somewhere on occassion. Some are just lucky, the problems have never been serious. NMNita

I just thought of one more thing: was the original price something that seemed almost to cheap to be real? If so, probably it should have been checked out more closely. Of course only the TA would have known if it sounded to low. She/he should have called right then to make certain it was entered correctly. I know hind sight is 20/20 or better. NMnita

Being curious, I called HAL myself. Actually I made 6 separate calls into different desks, new reservations and existing reservations to see if I would get a different response. ( Given the "glitch" I expected a long wait and was prepared with reading material to make best use of time. To my surprise, there was no wait) This is what I told:

HAL did not have a "computer glitch" as it relates to pricing and one HAL employee suggested someone might be pulling my leg.

There is a term within the contract that says fares will not be guaranteed until reservation is confirmed. I asked the definition of "confirmed." I was told 6X that it means a reservation "paid in full". HAL reserves the right to change fares prior to that. In practice, the only changes are taxes/port fees, beyond their control. I was also told that this language is in the contracts of all cruise lines.

One of the reps went onto explain that all fares are based upon projection of costs and if the actual costs differ HAL has the right to charge more at any point up to initial boarding. Passengers are given the opportunity to decline the sailing in which case, the HAL cancel policy is disregarded and all monies are refunded the passenger. This rep had no knowlege of HAL not honoring the original fare, exclusive of port and taxes, that they do not control.

I'm screwed, SOL, and will never ever ever ever ever use this travel agent again if things are not made right and made right soon, before I have a heart attack or the men with the funny white coats with the extra long sleeves come and haul me away.

No, you're not screwed. The TA is. If the TA was lax in making the booking promptly, and as a result your fare went up, then make it clear to her that you will sue if she does not make good. You will also contact your local media's consumer ombudsman with the story. Believe me, the agency won't want trouble and will make good on this for you. Of course, I'm praying your father-in-law has SOMETHING ... anything ... an email, a receipt ... whatever ... indicating the price that was agreed upon for this cruise.

If your father-in-law has paperwork indicating the agreed-upon price, the TA is stuck. She has to make good on it ... even if it is out of her own pocket. If she doesn't, she will incur a whole lot more loss than just the difference in this cruise price ... complaints to the local media, a lawyer getting involved, her agency possibly getting bad "press" ... the works. Believe me, she'll be willing to work a deal to keep you all happy. And, don't worry, she has Errors & Omissions insurance for just this purpose. Most states require that of travel agents selling within their state. So, she'll file a claim with her insurance carrier for her out-of-pocket expense. But you should get your cruise, at the price that was agreed upon. If not, start off by getting an attorney friend to write a letter to the head honcho of her agency, and put the fear of God into them. Chances are they won't want trouble and will go ahead and book your cruise, charging you the price that was agreed upon.

Let us know how this shakes out. But, don't ... under any circumstances ... let the TA get off the hook. Whether it was intentional, or just incompetence on her part, she indulged in a very bad business practice by not promptly booking this cruise for you, BEFORE you arranged any airfare. And, don't buy that "the reservation system was down" crap. She could have gotten on the phone with HAL and booked the cruise that way. They have a special reservations desk specifically for travel professionals. She could have used that if the computers were down. Then, even if there was a HAL "price glitch," she would have promptly found out about it and then informed your father-in-law about the problem ... with no harm done.

So, I would advise you not to give up on your vacation. Fight for it. It belongs to you.

Blue skies ... and enjoy your cruise ...

--rita

This didn't seem to affect me, but after that last comment I have to jump in here.

If I put a full deposit, whatever HAL requires, and get a confirmation, before I make final payment HAL can raise the rates? I am not talking about taxes and port charges, actual cruise fares?

As I make my own air, it is usually not refundable, so even if I get my deposit back I would still be stuck for the air.

Wow

This didn't seem to affect me, but after that last comment I have to jump in here.

If I put a full deposit, whatever HAL requires, and get a confirmation, before I make final payment HAL can raise the rates? I am not talking about taxes and port charges, actual cruise fares?

As I make my own air, it is usually not refundable, so even if I get my deposit back I would still be stuck for the air.

Wow

Never had that happen to us in a great many cruises.

Never heard of that happening to anyone.

Seriously doubt it ever would happen.

Of all the things in the world to worry about, this is not one of them.

Don't worry about it.

Archived