Sewer smell and backup/Grandeur of the Seas

wandb

This is our first cruise on the RCCL.

Someone who has recently been on the Grandeur of the Seas----please help! We are scheduled to leave in less than one week and are concerned about a few of the posters having trouble with sewer smells and backup. Please tell me that this is not a usual or ongoing problem on the GOS!! We are booked on the third deck (hopefully a bit calmer in rough seas) but hate the thought of the sewer problems. Would this occur more frequently on the lower decks where out cabin is?

Not sure which is the lesser of two evils---getting sick from the wave motion, or getting sick from the sewer smells!!!

Determined to have a great time anyway---Helene willing!!

I didn't notice any problems with any unusual smells when I was on Grandeur last year. I'm scheduled to sail Grandeur again in October and I'm looking very forward to it. If you want, take a look at the review (link is in my sig) that I wrote about my cruise on Grandeur, and from there, you can read any of several dozen more reviews. That way you get a cross section of different people's thoughts. Good luck and don't worry about it. If it happens, it happens, and worrying about it ahead of time isn't going to help you.

We were just on the Grandeur 1-10 Sep 06. Occasionally, there was a sewer smell and toilets that were slow to flush. This happened all over the ship, but seemed to be quickly remedied. We were on deck 2 and sailed the day that Ernesto hit Baltimore. There was very little motion anywhere we were on the ship. I am very prone to motion sickness, but only had to take 1/2 of a dramamine as a precaution. We had no problems except for the broken rudder. Captain Rob is very personable, witty and highly visible. Always kept us informed of what was going on. This was our most enjoyable cruise ever, and we've taken probably 20 or more. Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise.

We were on a 10-day Brilliance cruise--deck 10 (so there goes the lower deck theory!) and while we didn't have slow drains or toilet problems, there was a sewage smell that lasted almost the entire trip. Apparently they couldn't find a reason, but it was there alright! We had to keep the sink drain closed or it got unbearable!

I don't know why the ships seem to have this problem -- and they do-- on a continual basis!

Archived