Alaska Cruise

CanadianMAG

We are thinking about going on our 3rd cruise this May or an all inclusive resort somewhere, our previous cruises have been in Caribbean and I have been to countless resorts. I really enjoyed HAL compared to RCL (which is why I am posting in this section) anyway, I am not interested in the ports or the excursions so these issues will be irrelevant in my decision. I grew up on the pacific coast and have seen most of the ports already, I would like to go on the cruise for the views (which I can never get sick of) and to relax and eat :D . Since we will be leaving from Seattle or Vancouver we don't have to pay airfare so we can probably bump up on the room I was thinking penthouse or large suite. We had SS class with HAL which was great and then with RCL the balcony room on the hump! Does anyone have any recommendations on which cruise line would be best for what we are looking for, or is there anything I should look for when booking.

I should add we want a return trip not one way.. thanks

Thanks

I like the smaller (S- and R-class) HAL ships for Alaska viewing. Heck, I like them for all cruises!

Those ships have a great deal of outside deck space that's sheltered from the liquid sunshine Alaska is (in)famous for. Sheltered from the breezes, too. Even though I'm a cave dweller I still think that outside is better than a balcony; you get a more panoramic view outdoors.

Then there's that easy access to warmer indoors where the food is located, too. :) Lots of lounges with big, big windows when it's really yucky outside.

Service on HAL, as you must know since you've sailed on HAL, is excellent. Beds are divine!

I sailed the round-trip from Vancouver this past July on the Volendam. Worst weather I've ever experienced in Alaska (I'd been too lucky until then) but it was still a beautiful trip.

Good luck in finding the right ship for you.

My family had the PH on the Ryndam this summer and loved it. The balcony was wonderful. I sometimes just wanted to be by myself and enjoy the scenery. The Crow's Nest was also wonderful. You could see more while being sheltered from the wind. I would have loved to have done the round trip, but we didn't have time this trip. Maybe next time!

The views in Alaska are wonderful - a day at sea in Alaska is almost an event, with all the scenery passing by to look at. Much different from any other cruise, where a day at sea means simply that.

I'd have to vote for Alaska over the all-inclusive.

We took a round trip cruise in May 06 out of Seattle on the Westerdam. We had a balcony room and really loved the convenience of having personal/quiet time on our balcony while watching the whales, dolphins, and also the fabulous scenery. There was still plenty of snow on the mountains on our way to the Glacier. I don't think you can compare an all inclusive to Alaska, that would be like comparing apples and oranges. Our daughter came with us and she had just spent a week at an all inclusive in Cancun (5*) but she said the food surpassed anything she had ever seen in Cancun, and the class and elegance was incomparable too. She agreed that there was no comparision, both fabulous but very different vacations. Very relaxed atmosphere and the staff were the best we have ever had (except for our room steward). Beautiful ship, wonderful food, great fun. Wish I could do it again next year.

We've done Seattle once and Vancouver 4 times. If you're loolking mainly for scenery, our vote is for a r/t out of Vancouver. We strongly prefer Vancouver because of the better scenery. The year after we sailed from Seattle we were again sailing from Vancouver. It was raining/stormy on that last day (a 'sea' one) and it was still beautiful with the mist hanging around the VERY close islands. We were talking to the Captain and mentioned that we'd sailed the Amsterdam from Seattle the previous year. He said that we should be glad that we didn't that year, as the Amsterdam (also on their last day) was REALLY being bounced around out in the open Pacific.

Mary Ellen (from rainy Seattle and now in sunny Colorado)

Just back from 9/8-15 Seattle r/t Alaska sailing on HAL Zaandam. DH and I loved having a balcony stateroom on Deck 6. The weather was too cold/wet to spend much time actually on it, but the view was nevertheless fantastic. We also spent much time in the Crow's Nest.

Fortunately, I was prepared for the fact that Seattle embarkations travel in the Pacific Ocean for 2+ days. These proved to be rough seas both outbound and on return, with roll as well as pitch even with the stabilizers working. Our cabin was mid-ship, and we heard that folks with cabins fore and aft experienced much more than we did! We wore Sea-Bands, though we might have been fine in any case.

Our day in Glacier Bay was awesome, and we were able to visit the Johns Hopkins glacier which was only re-opened to cruise ships on September 1st since it's a seal breeding area.

Bottom line: if you're inclined to seasickness, go with Vancouver Inside Passage cruises. Overall we enjoyed HAL service, accommodations and amenities, though since it was my first cruise I can't compare it to other cruise lines.

We are also just back from the Zaandam Sept 8 and this was our 3rd Alaska cruise. The first 2 were out of Vancouver and this one out of Seattle. I have to say in my opion Vancouver is the better choice. You get so much more scenery than you do with Seattle. Plus I remember the port times were much better than Seattle. This was our 15 overall cruise and I must say it was the roughest sailing we have had. Sailing outside of Vancouver Island was really rough. On the first formal night there were several people getting sick. Holland America does do a nice job and I was really high on them after our 1st cruise with them on Zuiderdam but I have to say the size of the meals was a joke. Very disappointed in the food. I have to say Celebrity really is the better cruise line for food.

Hi Sean,

I enjoyed reading your cruise post. The pleasure was ours! Thanks for introducing us to Elegance Strings on board. We enjoyed winding down our evenings with them.

So glad you and your Mom got home safe and sound. Best wishes from DH and yours truly.

We are also just back from the Zaandam Sept 8 and this was our 3rd Alaska cruise. The first 2 were out of Vancouver and this one out of Seattle. I have to say in my opion Vancouver is the better choice. You get so much more scenery than you do with Seattle. Plus I remember the port times were much better than Seattle. This was our 15 overall cruise and I must say it was the roughest sailing we have had. Sailing outside of Vancouver Island was really rough. On the first formal night there were several people getting sick. Holland America does do a nice job and I was really high on them after our 1st cruise with them on Zuiderdam but I have to say the size of the meals was a joke. Very disappointed in the food. I have to say Celebrity really is the better cruise line for food.

Hey trvlcarib,

You should have joined our Roll Call. We were all nice people....honest.:)

Just returned to the UK from our very 1st cruise. What an experience!! We just loved it to bits. What a great ship the Zuiderdam is. The weather was almost perfect. The Johns Hopkins glacier was awesome. The calving was out of this world and with clear blue skies and only the need of a t-shirt.

There were some negatives but I'm hoping to put together a comprehensive review to post later.

All in all I think we're hooked. Now to plan our next cruise.

Lloyd

CanadianMAG, for scenery a roundtrip out of Vancouver is the way to go, as the sailings from Vancouver go through the Inside Passage while most sailings from Seattle go around the west side of Vancouver Island. If you're thinking about taking HAL, I would recommend the smaller R or S class ships.

If you're also considering other cruise lines, you might want to post this question in the Alaska Board here on Cruise Critic.

Archived