What is the best way to spend your day in Naples?

bluejayway

We are on the Sept.25/06 Celebrity Galaxy Cruise and we are deciding what would be the best shore excursion options for the last port of our itinerary. Is the Capri, Sorrento & Pompei tour (10hrs) too much to do on the final day or should we consider something shorter or more relaxing. Help me decide.

Also, if anyone has a private tour arranged for that day and would like to share the costs - that is something that we would also consider.

We are on the Sept.25/06 Celebrity Galaxy Cruise and we are deciding what would be the best shore excursion options for the last port of our itinerary. Is the Capri, Sorrento & Pompei tour (10hrs) too much to do on the final day or should we consider something shorter or more relaxing. Help me decide.

Also, if anyone has a private tour arranged for that day and would like to share the costs - that is something that we would also consider.

Pompeii or Capri would be my choice I would never do the ships 10 hour tour much too long. I think someone else posted about the 10 hr ships tour and it didn't sound good. If you haven't seen Pompeii that would be my suggestion also Capri is very doable there is a ferry that leaves from Naples. Good luck and enjoy your last day. Lorelle

If you have never been to Naples, why not explore Naples itself?

We mapped out a walking tour with the help of the forum at fodors dot com and spent 7 hours enjoying the city. We began with the street markets, visited the archaelogical museum, had a wonderful lunch, toured two of the beautiful churches, stopped for an espresso and walked back to the ship, getting lost along the way..

My idea of a great day is pretty much that, exploring on my own with a few stops in mind, and I avoid tours, etc.

Bluejayway, have you checked with people on your roll call? That sometimes works out for sharing tours!

Caviargal, glad you enjoyed Naples. We did that once years (like 29) ago but the last times we have been there, have opted for ruins. Herculaneum was amazing. Pompeii too, but more time comsuming. With the beautiful coast of Sorrento so nearby, I wouldn't opt for staying in the city of Naples on my first trip to that area. Don't forget plenty of criime in Naples too!

4 cruisers, I did Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Capri, while on land trips about 30 years ago. I fugure the ruins have not changed much since then.:D

I adore Italy and prefer to do land trips there personally as there is soooo much to see and enjoy. One of the things I dislike about Med cruises is that there is such a limited amount of time in each port. I find it exhausting to try and cram in so much into a day.

I took a few extra precautions in Naples but basically always try and be aware of my surroundings when travelling. I have travelled solo extensively and learned that one must be vigilant to avoid problems. Actually, I have had more problems over the years with gypsies in Rome and ruffians in Paris than in Naples.

Bluejayway,

How you decide if the ship's excursion or a private guide is the best way to go is up to you. If after reading the many post here you will have a rather good idea on what you will finally do.

For me a private guide for the day is preferrable over the ship's for a few reasons.

- You have the flexibility to go where you want and for how long you want.

- The buses can't negotiate the many narrow roads that a van or car can.

- You'll get insight and taken places that the ship tour won't take you.

- How about eating at a ristorante that doesn't rush you out the door and order what you want.

These are just a few reasons, but you may prefer the ship's tour and there are few adavantages to using their tours.

- If the bus is late returning the ship has to wait for you.

- It may be cheaper.

So, it's up to you. Should you decide to do a private guide my pick is AP Tours. We used them last month and had a fabulous time with Alberto. You will not go wrong with him. There were 8 of us and the cost was 500E from 8AM to 5PM. His website is www.aptours.it Write to him and see if he is available and what his rates are. And ask him about the La Tagliata Ristorante in Positano.

Michael

Dear Bluejayway,

I may be in the minority but we took the ships Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii tour and had a terrific time. It's not for everyone because alot of people would prefer devoting the entire day to one place. However, I did think that this was a well-orchestrated tour and we were surprisingly not exhausted at the end of the day. You just need to realize that you will not have alot of time at any one place.

We really enjoyed taking the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri (with Mt. Vesuvius in full view). The approach to Capri was breathtaking. Once in Capri we did have to wait in line for approximately 20 minutes to take the funicular up to Capri. We then had a 20 minute or so guided tour of the gardens which were incredible and then approximately 45 minutes to shop and explore. We then boarded a hydrofoil to Sorrento and really enjoyed the departure from Capri and then the approach to Sorrento. The coast is so rugged and Sorrento appears to be a village hanging on to the side of a cliff. We had a wonderful and charming lunch in a local restaurant the included an appetizer, main entree, and dessert, along with a sparkling wine toast and white and/or red wine with lunch and finally some wonderful coffee. They even had a trio ensemble playing Italian music. We had a terrific time during lunch. We then had 45 minutes or so to explore Sorrento and then we boarded a motorcoach for Pompeii. The drive was very scenic and of course Pompeii was absolutely fascinating. We did have a stop at a cameo factory/shop on the grounds of Pompeii prior to our tour of the ruins that I could have done without, but it wasn't too bad. I actually used it as an opportunity to use the restroom facilities. The tour of Pompeii last approximately 90 minutes ...the it was back to Naples.

As far as Naples is concerned, I wasn't terribly impressed. I don't think I would spend the day in Naples with so many great places to explore around the area. There is quite a bit of crime in Naples and it wasn't very picturesque.

As far as attempting Capri on your own, I would be careful as the hydrofoils can stop running at anytime due to weather conditions. If that were to happen you could be stuck on Capri with no way back to the ship.

Hope you have a wonderful trip no matter what you decide. It truly is a fabulous cruise!!

Last fall on the Millennium we took a ship tour to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast and loved it. We would have enjoyed more time in Positano (had about an hour) and in Pompeii (had about 2 hours), but the drive down the coast was absolutely breathtaking, our view from the restaurant was beautiful, and we thought that we saw a lot that day.

My fear with private tours is missing the ship. The road through the coast was busy the day we were there, but we never worried because we knew that the ship would wait for us if we were delayed. But, if you can put that worry out of your mind, a private tour would probably let you arrange your own stops.

Whatever you choose, have a great time. There are so many great possibilities.

We stopped off in Naples a few weeks ago. First of all we were warned that the crime rate in Naples is the highest in Italy running at 40%, and there are also lots of beggars on the streets. We were also told that on a previous stop one of the ships crew bought an ipod from a street vendor and when he opened it on his return to the ship it contained a rock and no ipod so just be careful

we chose to go to Capri on our own. It really is a beautiful place and very safe.The hydrofoil jetty is about 250 metres from where the ship docks, just walk through the car park and past the taxis and tour operators. It takes 40 mins and costs 11 Euros each way. Once on Capri go straight to the funicular ticket office which is situated with the hydrofoil ticket offices on the pier and get your tickets to go up to the village at the top of the mountain 6 euros for a day ticket which can be also used on the local buses. One other tip all of the locals go to the rear of the ticket office where the lines are alot shorter. Dont make the mistake of going straight to the funicular you will be in line for 10 minutes to discover tickets are not available for purchase there.

At the top all of the streets are traffic free, except for the local delivery men who drive around on golf buggies. Every designer shop you can think of is up there, as well as the quaint narrow streets and amazing views.

If you go on your own its worth going early in the morning and getting the hydrofoil back around lunchtime. the do stop for about 2 hours in the afternoon between about 2.00pm & 4.00pm. Lunch on Capri near the pier in the open air cafes overlooking the harbour costs about 12 euros including wine.

I think we are leaning towards the ..Capri, Sorrento & Pompei Tour ..but are considering the Almalfi Coast & Pompei. It will probably be our only visit to this area and I think I really want to see Pompei we just have to decide what we want to combine with the Pompei Tour. I think we will take the ships tour that is offered.

Appreciate the feedback-keep it coming we still have a bit of time to decide.

Thanks.

We did the Amalfi Coast drive/Pompei excurison last summer when we sailed Millennium. The drive was spectacular. We both found Pompei to be a bit of a let down at the end of the day...perhaps we were so blown away by the Amalfi scenery that Pompei seemed a bit nothing. Next time we'd do Herculaneum (smaller, but better preserved). But, the excursion was totally worth it for the scenery. If you do this trip and you drive the Amalifi coast in the morning (southbound?), be sure to sit on the right side of the bus to get the best views. I had read this advice on cc and as soon as we got off the ship we stuck to the tour guide like glue and were the first on the bus. She sat in the front right-hand seat and we got the two seats behind her. I sat by the window thrilled watching the dropoffs and DH spent the time looking forward watching all the traffic coming straight for us. It was one heck of a ride!! Have a great time.

Lynn

Herculaneum is easy to do on your own - Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Ercolana-Scavi stop and walk to the ruins. Pompeii is HUGE but mostly ruined walls and streets. Herculaneum is very small, easy to walk and full of beautiful mosaics, both on walls and floors, paintings and even wooden remains.

Outside the train station, taxis were offering trips up Mount Vesuvius. I think it was about $50 for the car-load (4 of us- but this was 5 years ago) for the (truly terrifying) trip up the mountain. From the parking lot,where our taxi waited for us, you walk up to the crater and the views are breath-taking. The climb is difficult but my then-3 yr old was able to do it and it's the only part of that 3-week trip to Italy that he still remembers.

OK I said it.

Alright if it is your ONLY chance, but you MUST be able to absorb and enjoy on the run if you try to hit the whole schmeil in one day...

I really enjoyed climbing Vesuveus then hitting Pompei. But I'd been on the Amalfi coast before - and it REALLY deserves to be enjoyed! Enough so that giving it very short shrift would be a shame just to say you made it to overcrowded (albeit scenic) Capri - IMHO.

Personally, if you could arrange a private vehicle to take you out the starting gate down the Amalfi coast a bit, early lunch, then climb Vesuveus then some ruins at the end. That would be a very full outstanding day.

We were on a Med cruise last month and went to Pompeii on our own. It was better than even I had expected (and I'm an incurable optimist!). I thought it would be partial walls and roads, but there was so much more. And yes, it is huge (after all, this was a whole city that went down) so you need lots of time to explore. It could easily take a full day or even two. You really get a sense of being inside ancient history.

We didn't get to see it all, but that's what the future is for...to look forward to more!

Although we went on our own (taxi took us, waited at Pompeii for hours and then drove us back for 70 euros total) I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. I just like being able to return to my cushy ship when I'm ready rather than when the tour guide is ready!...and since we were with a child, we knew we wouldn't want to be out all day anyway. Since we were heading back with lots of time to spare, there was no "what if there's a traffic jam" stress. The drive was about 20 minutes each way. Way cheaper than a ship tour for three, more costly but more convenient than the train.

Archived