Packing for Canada/New Engling in July ...???

kcindnaeus

Hi!

I need help and right away!

I'm trying to decide what to pack for my Canada/New Englad cruise, which is coming up this Saturday ..... JULY 17!

Coming from the South I cannot comprehend it being chilly enough to wear cold weather clothing ..... but, I'm told that it might be and to pack accordingly. I have only cruised the Caribbean and find that to be a breeze to pack for, but now ......!

First, let me say that in general I am a very warm natured woman (46) and I get hot very easily. I've been this way since I was a child. You can only imagine how much worse it is with the harmones going crazy.

How intense of cold/chilly/windy weather should I be prepared for? I'm already planning on bringing a light weight jacket and 1 or 2 light weight sweaters. I've been told to bring sweatshirts and long sleeve shirts, long pants, etc. Should I be planning on dressing for this kind of weather EVERY day? Do you think that under my circumstances that I can pack lighter for cold weather conditions? Also, can I (hopefully) expect to find some warm weather where I will be happy wearing my shorts and maybe even my bathing suit?

I hate to overpack and every cruise I go on I try to back off, but I know it's going to happen again. Of course, with different seasons you need different shoes .... now THOSE take up a lot of room. (Darn!)

Any help on what to expect and how to pack would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What you are planning on taking will be perfect. I lived north for a long time. It will cool down in spots at night, so a couple of sweaters, sweatshirt, are great, and if the wind is blowing as well, the light jacket is perfect. My guess is, you are going to have great weather. Bring a couple of shorts!!! :)

Cindy,

The days you're in port will be warmer. In general, it cools down to the upper 50's, lower 60's at night.

HOWEVER, the ocean water temperature north of Cape Cod is only in the low 60's so while you're at sea, it's going to be quite chilly, even during the day. It's also been an unusually cool summer here so I'd definitely pack long pants, sweaters, etc. for the days at sea. It's not just spotty at night -- if you're on the ocean, it's going to be cool to cold.

There's a big difference between "being 'north'" and being on the ocean. As an example, the Boston and west of Boston temperature was about 80 this weekend. It was the low 70's (72-73) here on the coast. So, when you're looking at temperatures, look at Boston and think about 5 - 10 degrees cooler.

From another perspective, pack what you would to go to Alaska. Layers, layers, layers.

Thanks Sue and Pam! I really appreciate your input and quick responses!

BTW Pam ..... I'm very anxious to visit your part of the country! :) And Sue ...... I already love yours! :) :) In fact, when I get back I may be down your way, scoping the area. I'm in-between jobs and "lives" and ready for a change. I keep feeling a pull to relocate to South Florida.

Cindy, the advice you received already is right on. I just wanted to add that if you are from the south--do not underestimate how cold you will feel especially on the water. We live in SW FL and I never wear a jacket, no matter how cold it gets. But in New England I wear sweaters almost all the time, particularly on the water or in the evening. You will feel the cold much more in the north than you do in the south.

Have a super time.

Cindy,

I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia across the harbour from Halifax. You probably have a stop here. The weather forcast, long range mind you, July 19 is approximately 75 F, sunny with possibility of showers. Log on to theweathernetwork.ca - Click on Nova Scotia, then Halifax and you will be able to see the forcast. You can log on there for many other places also.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise, we live in a wonderful province.

Flacrusrs ..... thanks for pointing out the difference. At least now I'm comfortable that I know what to pack. I was afraid that I was going to pack the wrong stuff, then I'd be really miserable!

Thanks again to everyone for your help! :)

My daughters are in camp up in the Adirondacks- as I drove north from NY I watched the temp drop 20 degrees on my cars display.

Mornings and evenings will almost always call for a sweater, long pants, etc. socks with sneakers, etc.

I remember our first trip to Marthas Vineyard. We hadnt even boarded the ferry yet and the whole family had to buy sweatshirts for the ride !

I will be going on that cruise on the Grand Sept 26, please write to me when you get back home and let me know the in's and outs of what to do and not do with regards to excursions, and let me know how cold the seas really were.

Thanks,

Barb

BBadorrek@cox.com

We took a cruise to St. John and Halifax four years ago. Our cruise departed on July 15th out of New York City. I was not really prepared for the weather. It was cold, wet, foggy and windy. We could not sit out on the deck until the last day of the cruise -- and then we had our jackets on. We did not swim in the ship's pool on this trip. The weather was much better in the ports. St. John was cloudy, but not cold. Halifax was sunny and about 75 degrees. We enjoyed our trip very much and the nasty weather at sea didn't ruin it for us. However, be prepared for anything. I underestimated how extreme the weather can be. The big Vegas style show on our cruise had to be delayed because the ship was rocking so much - it was too dangerous for the performers. The fog horn was blowing every couple of minutes or so (at least it felt like that).

We still had a great time.

Enjoy your trip. I hope you have fabulous weather!

Archived