ferry to Tulum ,seasick?

spagirl83

I am very concerned about getting seaaick on the ferry to the Tulum ruins. Just how likely am I to get sick? In the tour explantions there was a caution about it. The medcine only helps so much. We are going Nov.15,2006. I know it depends on the weather and the swells, what is it usuallly like in November? Any bits of info is greatly appreciated.

I don't think you'd have any problem on the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland. I presume you'd be taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen then going by bus or taxi south to Tulum.

The ferry is a catamaran and is very stable. My wife is highly prone to seasickness and had no problems at all. The Yucatan channel is pretty calm for the most part and it's only about a 20 min to half hour trip across.

Your old pal,

Joe

My g/f and I were there in early Feb of this year. The trip from the ship was ok. The only time it got rough was when we docked in Playa. The waves were a bit rough, but not 1 person got sick. Some had a little trouble getting off the tender, but the crew was right there helping. On the way back from Tulum we had to catch the tender at another pier. It was a little more south from where we go into Playa. So you may have to walk for a bit to get to that pier as the bus cannot get that close. We booked our tour through Carnival. Our guide's name was Hugo. Oh yeah, when you stop at the little market on the way.....DO NOT TRY THE TEQUILA. Everyone that had it ( me and g/f included ) said it was the nastyist thing they had ever had.

When you arrive at the ruins. The bus will park a little more than a 1/4 mile from the front gate of the ruins. You may take the tram or just walk it like most people do. I would carry a bottle of water. Also wear a hat and sunscreen as it will still be quite warm and sunny there.

The ruins are very beautiful, they have closed off the pryamid so you cant get too close to it. I was able to climb the stairs when I was there the first time back in 1986. But no longer allowed.

Have a good time.

Tim

Archived