Anyone familiar with Boston's Financial District?

kcindnaeus

I am staying pre-cruise at the Hyatt Regency Financial District in Boston. I am looking for a nice restaurant, bar & grill, or something along this line that is walking distance from the hotel. And, if you know of one that has great lobsters, I would be interested in that as well. Not really worried about the money but would prefer not to "over spend" unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance!

The Financial District is a short walk to the Fanuel Hall Marketplace which has a lot of restaurants and a large indoor/outdoor gallery with a ton of take out places with benches to sit inside and out. The very old and famous Union Oyster House is located very near there.

Just beyond the marketplace is the North End with lots of excellent Italian eateries and the Financial District is also within walking distance of the Theater District.

Most of the restaurants in the Financial District are geared towards lunch. Sorry I can't recommend a lobster place in the area. Most of the places I would go to for lobster are in areas you would not want to walk to from the Financial District.

Have fun!

The Hyatt Regency Financial District is only a couple of blocks from Faneuil Hall where there are many excellent restaurants plus a food hall where you can get everything from pizza to Chinese, etc. You're also within walking distance to the Union Oyster House (fabulous seafood).

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been scanning the boards from time to time and it looks like you will be on the Diamond just a week before our scheduled trip (12/4). I'm just waiting to pin down some mileage for our air before I confirm everything. I only wish your trip was a little sooner so I could read your review before we leave!

Jane

P.S. To the original poster: I just reread my post and I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that it's not safe to walk to other locations in Boston for lobster, it's just that they are spread out a distance. Boston is a very walkable city. If you are hear for a short time I hear the Duck Tour is a fun way to see the city. If you're here for a couple of days, you can look into the Freedom Trail walk that will get you to many areas of the city. I also forgot to mention that China Town borders the Financial District as well if you are looking for some exotic cuisine.

Jane... actually, we're going on the Caribbean Princess on 12/26. No plans for the Diamond.

I agree with you that Boston is very walkable. Also, the subways are very easy to use and get around. Ahhh... dim sum in Chinatown. Love it! And I agree that the Duck Tour is a great way to see the city. As for Legal Seafood, my personal opinion is that it's way overpriced for what you get.

Cindy -- you could also hop a bus and come up to Salem and Marblehead. GREAT seafood up here. :)

Boston is a very walkable city. However with the "Big Dig" sometimes it can be confusing. The subway system is great and easy to get around. If your heart is set on Lobster, just about any restaurant in this area serves them.

One of our favorites is The No Name Restaurant.(seafood) Casual, fun atmosphere and just grab a cab over there. How long are you going to be in the city, as mentioned, you could walk the Freedom Trail (or part of it), the Aquarium is very close to your hotel and the new Seaport area is also close by. I am assuming you will be here on a Saturday, this end of town is pretty quiet except for the tourist attractions. Fanuil Hall Marketplace is fun and as posted, within walking distance. Lots of shops and restaurants. All the other places mentioned are great. but I too think Legal Seafood is for business or tourist - in other words, overpriced for what you get.

Oh, I forgot about the No Name restaurant. It's GREAT! Any cabbie would know where it is but just in case, it's right around the corner from the World Trade Center (Boston). IMHO, it's better than Legal Seafood because not only is the food great, but the place has atmosphere and the prices are very reasonable. You're literally on the fish pier. It doesn't get much fresher than that.

If anyone is taking a New England cruise that stops in Boston for the evening, the No Name is a very short cab ride from where the cruise ships dock.

Hi Pam,

I guess I had you confused with Bostongal. I guess we are all Yankee Cruise Lovers....

Northender: I would have suggested the No Name too, but there is not much else in the area and after you've paid the cab to and from it gets as costly as some of the more touristy spots. No Name is better if you are doing the driving.

A quick ride to Little Italy. We found it safe to walk around up there, too. The old North Church is there and we did the evening show there with Paul Revere, then walked around the corner, perused some menus and sat down in a nice restaurant and had a GREAT dinner. Afterwards, we went to the "T" (Boston's Subway) and rode back to Cambridge. Mind you we're not too adventurous with this sort of thing in a strange city, but we never felt uncomfortable. A Taxi ride is not far either.

I am staying pre-cruise at the Hyatt Regency Financial District in Boston. I am looking for a nice restaurant, bar & grill, or something along this line that is walking distance from the hotel. And, if you know of one that has great lobsters, I would be interested in that as well. Not really worried about the money but would prefer not to "over spend" unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for a great meal of lobster/ seafood try Jimmy,s - it,s right on the fish peir also just before the no name...The no name is a great place for the locals... If looking for an upscale place to dine and watch the harbor through glass walls I truly suggest Jimmy,s. I lived and worked in Boston for over 50 years.

McCormick & Schmick's is walkable and very good Seafood. Also Chinatown is right around the corner from the Hyatt. The No Name, Anthony's Pier 4 and Union Oyster House are also good choices. It is safe to walk around Boston - just be aware.

The Hyatt is one block from the Boston Common and that is a beautiful place for a stroll.

Enjoy your stay in Boston!

Meg

I agree with all the above -- you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions. Fiore's on Hanover St in the North End is my personal favorite --- Italian but with a lot of seafood, including lobster, sort of upscale Italian. The North End is really a must-see location, with a lot of history (one if by land, two if by sea!) and the best Italian food and pastries this side of Rome. If you cross the bridge into Charlestown (still part of Boston) from the North End, I would recommend Tavern on the Water. It's a more casual place near Old Ironsides with great drinks and seafood (of course) but with a million dollar view of the Boston skyline. Closer to your hotel,. a walk down Newbury St will yield a nice choice of restaurants and sidewalk cafes on a good day. All in all, though, it's hard to go wrong in Boston with restaurants, and lobster is absolutely everywhere. Have a great time!! PS -- Go Sox!!!!

Here's my 2cents:

Lobster dinner - Legal Seafoods next to the New England Aquarium. (Also love the trout provencal) That way you can get in a whale watch or harbor cruise or just visit the Aquarium...I love the penguins there!!

Casual Seafood with excellent view of Boston - Tavern on the Water in the Charlestown Navy Yard. This is a great place for lunch. Ask to sit outside if it's nice and the view of the city is breathtaking! They have the best fried haddock sammiches :) and homemade fries.

Italian - Limoncello's in the North End. My personal favorite there is the Rosette Al Montasio. http://www.weseatyou.com/restaurants/692/old%20site/main.asp

Steak - Durgan Park, Faneuil Hall. This place is the best if you want to feel the old Boston sensation! My dad loves the prime rib there.

Beer - Got to go to the Black Rose for a Guinness and for some Irish entertainment! It's in Faneuil Hall as well.

Have fun!

I got it... Why don't we all just go up there and spend a few days with Kcindnaeus. :rolleyes:

Honestly, our daughter was up there working for the summer in 2003. We visited for a few days around the 4th of July. Stayed at a Marriott in front of the Boston Fireworks on the Charles River, it was a special deal with Marriott, the windows rattled with each fireworks blast. There was a "T" station right across the street.

Anyway, we'd go back in a heartbeat and spend a week. There's sooooooooo much to see and do in Boston and that whole area (and I'm from Alexandria, Virginia - George Washington, South of the Mason Dixon Line, etc)... Kcindnaeus, you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions here.

Oh, yeah, I actually got some "Clam - Chowda"! We used the "T" didn't have a "CAAAR" - Gosh how do you write that phonectically? ENJOY!

Durgan Park, Anthony's Pier 4, No Name, Jimmy's Harborside..

I was raised in the suburbs north of Boston, but got to live right in the city for three years while in college. I spent many days and nights walking the streets and taking in the sights.

If you have a chance take in a game at Fenway Park. To me it's the 8th Wonder of the World...

Nomie, It is the best move I ever made!! I love it. It is hot, but compares to up north. If it is winter, you have heat in the house, car, store. Down here it is air conditioning in the summer!! But in the winter, the windows are open, and you can celebrate Christmas in the pool!! :D

Archived