Tipping on Parasailing Excursions

spikera

Anybody know how does one tip for parasailing... is it for the driver of the boat and probably the "guide"? How much?

I don't think there is a set method for this, and tipping being very personal it is hard to say how it should be done. So really you need to go with your gut.

I went in Key West once where the guys working the boat were not happy to be there, just trying to get to the end of the day, treated everyone like cattle - they got nothing, it was expensive enough and they provided no service worthy of a tip.

I also parasailed in Nice, France on the Med and those guys were awesome, they helped everyone at every step, gave us a good long ride rather than the bare minimum, dipped us twice per our request, took pictures of us with our cameras, we gave them about $20US as a tip for the driver and assistant.

My opinion would be - don't feel obligated to tip unless service warrants, and then tip what you feel is appropriate, maybe to a max of 20%...

:D We are going on the Conquest on July 8, 2007, I would love to try parasailing, can we do this on any excursion, and how much do they run.

Also, I have had surgery on one knee, which is weak, could I still do this?

My son teases me and says that "Jaws" will be below me waiting, what a kidder, lol, I hope!:rolleyes: Thank you.

275 days to go for the Conquest

:D We are going on the Conquest on July 8, 2007, I would love to try parasailing, can we do this on any excursion, and how much do they run.

Also, I have had surgery on one knee, which is weak, could I still do this?

My son teases me and says that "Jaws" will be below me waiting, what a kidder, lol, I hope!:rolleyes: Thank you.

275 days to go for the Conquest

It depends on how the parasailing is done. My first wife was pretty much an invalid for the last 8 years of her life. We still traveled as much as possible as long as possible. One time we were in Florida, she was in a wheel chair, and we were watching them parasail. She had had her hip replaced for the second time about six weeks before. I thought it would be a good emotional boost for her to do it, since she was pretty helpless, and couldn't even walk more than just a few steps at that time. We did it together off a platform boat. There was no physical stress at all. She did enjoy it and we had pictures taken of it. She was able to brag about it, even to the Dr. He asked if he could keep a couple of the pictures, framed one and kept it on his desk.

Even done off the beach, it is really quite tame. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do it.

Carnival does not offer this as an excursion. Actually they warn you during the "excursions" briefing to not do it. There are no set safety or regulatory standards.

Having said that, I've done it and would do it again. Most beaches that have a lot of tourists will have independant operators offering parasailing. Typically it's about $50 maybe a little more.

HI Spik!

Just back from the Mexican Riviera this past sunday I parasailed in Mazatlan for the 1st time in my life..>I have been wanting to do if for a long time! However, I have had one back surgery a year ago and now in need of a triple fusion.

I took off from the beach and landed on the beach and it was pretty smooth. BUt I watched a long time first and timed how long it took.

This group charged $40 and each person was up in the air for about 4 minutes. I tried to get the guy to come down on the price and I could only get him to come down to $35. Seemed like a lot for 4 minutes but I went anyway and glad I did!

I enjoyed it very much but it did hurt my back which I believe was just the position in which you sit. So I was actually glad afterall that it only lasted 4 minutes. I couldnt have taken much more.

I dont recall tipping anyone....I figured...thats alot of money for 4 minutes and the guys dont do a whole lot..other than there are several so I guess everyone has to make a living.

I did tip everyone on all of our other excursions but this one I didnt. Carnival does NOT offer the parasailing but you can find it ANYWHERE that you travel just about.

So good luck and just use your best judgement...Go by how you feel!

I always tip but for some reason just dont remember tipping these guys and not for any reason either.

RERESISTER...... GO FOR IT!!!

My husband and I went parasailing in Puerto Aventura Mexico last week. They charged $99 for tandem or $75 (I think) solo. We were the only ones on the boat and were in the air for at least 15 minutes. The two guys were great and took pictures of us with our camera. We gave them an extra $5. I think that was reasonable tip for such a short trip.

Archived