Please help clarify---TA or HAL direct?

wandb

Please help me make a decision! In your experience, is it better to book a cruise through a Travel Agent (like AAA), a travel consultant (with Vacations to Go) or directly with HAL?

Are there advantages or disadvantages with any of these? If problems crop up at any time, who is most likely to be of help in solving them?

Is it better to book our own flights (to Europe) or do this through HAL?

I must make a decision SOON, so I'd appreciate any advice that any of you have.

I LOVE this board. Y'all have been so helpful in the past!

Thanks in advance!! B.

I kind of like working with a TA and have a good working relationship with one. I like that I can always call her with a problem and know she will work on it and get back to me. As stated earlier, the TA will also help with air. Advantage of cruise air is that you get transfers included and they will wait for you if there are flight problems. I gues a disadvantage is that sometimes you get convoluted connections.

Thanks for the info, everyone. It seems that a travel agent or online agent is the way to go.

Could anyone give me a list of the best (in you opinions) on-line agencies? Also web site addresses, please. Thanks!

We are not allowed to name specific agencies as it violates the guidelines of Cruise Critic. These boards are sponsored by many travel agencies.

It makes sense to start with the HAL price as provided to you on their web site and then compare it to what you can obtain at other sites. Once in a blue moon, HAL 's prices are competitive. This is also a good time to become familiar with the cruise lines terms and conditions of booking.

When using a travel agent, I think it important to understand they are your agent, not the cruise lines. Their role is to be your advocate, should you need it. It also means that should there be issues between you and your travel agent, the cruise line, any cruise line, is not going to become involved.

Determine in advance, the travel agent's policies for cancellations and changes as well as how they handle potential price reductions, once you have made a deposit, but before the final payment date.

There is a lot to be said for using an in the flesh agent who has a long time stake in your area and this needs to be balanced with potential savings to be gotten from an online agent where most, if not all of the business is handled over the internet.

As it relates to air, most of the time, you are better off booking air independent of the cruise line both from a financial stand point as well as control over routing. Your travel agent can do this for you or you can look for better deals at popular air travel websites.

I know this might sound complicated but once you gain experience, it will become almost second nature.

We have always booked through HAL direct, except for once which was a disaster. We get such good "extras" when we book directly. We have used the same cruise consultant for several years now and are very comfortable with him. If something goes wrong who can help better than the company itself? I also can't see any reason to pay someone to do what can be done at HAL for no charge.

Many of us use the firms that advertise here with good results. We tried a HAL cruise consultant and he couldn't come anywhere close to the savings we got through one of the agencies here. He freely admitted they can't compete at the higher cabin categories and couldn't make up the difference in add-ons like Pinnacle Grill dinners or wine, etc. Our last four cruises have been arranged with one or more of the on-line TA's here and have no reason to change.

We have always booked through HAL direct, except for once which was a disaster. We get such good "extras" when we book directly. We have used the same cruise consultant for several years now and are very comfortable with him. If something goes wrong who can help better than the company itself? I also can't see any reason to pay someone to do what can be done at HAL for no charge.

What kind of extras do you get by booking direct with HAL?

You can check prices online at most of the these sites which are the websites that pay to advertise here on CC. I used one of them for our last cruise and in addition to the lowest price I could fine, I got trip insurance included at no additional charge.

You can also go to http://www.*****.com/ which is not a TA. It is a site where you can request quotes from competing online TA's.

Also, you should also get the HAL direct price before you start any search.

Advantage of cruise air is that you get transfers included and they will wait for you if there are flight problems. I gues a disadvantage is that sometimes you get convoluted connections.

We've always gotten convoluted connections with HAL air, whether a TA was involved or not.

When we've used a TA that does a LOT of business with HAL (can't name here, but available if you ask me at jothla@bellsouth.net) we've booked Vista VE guaranty and been upgraded to VA both times. From what I hear on this board about the "upgrade fairy" that is an extremely high batting average! Was it just luck? Who knows?

Also both times with the same TA we got $50/person OBC.

Basically for me, the decision whether to use a TA or not comes down to how complicated/different this cruise will be from past experiences and lessons learned. :o

If this is your first booking, you might feel better talking to someone in person in your town or using a TA who's not an "internet only" firm. I've never met my TA who lives in another state but she's been booking cruises for me since 1995 and totally understands my needs. While she does business online, she has a brick and mortar business.

Right now she's monitoring our flights in Dec. because the airline is doing some crazy booking thing and she wants to make sure they don't cancel our flight. There are pros and cons to using a TA, I'm just pro.

We've used the same TA for all of our travel for years. He has become a friend and we give him all of our travel business as well as referrals to our other friends. In return, he works really hard for us and we rely on him to solve problems and resolve disputes on our behalf. Like most good TA's he works hard for his clients and really earns his commission.

For example, several years ago, a cruise on another cruise line was cancelled 36 hours in advance due to mechanical problems with the ship. We were not happy with the compensation that we were offered (a cruise on another ship of the company within 60 days -- there were no itineraries available that interested us or that fit in to our schedule). We had previously requested an unpublished segment of that company's world cruise and had been turned down. Our TA got the company to book us on to the exact segment that we wanted and got us upgraded to one of the largest suites on board. We could not have accomplished this on our own.

Also, he is someone we can call while we are on a trip to rearrange schedules and solve problems at the last minute.

For us, this system is much better than booking direct with cruise lines and hotels.

We always get flowers, wine, PG dinners, on board credits, things of this nature.

And the value of those things ... not to mention upgrades ... makes up for the higher price you pay through the HAL agent.

I've always said ... I don't care what kind of "deals" people get through their travel agents ... online or brick and mortar. The fact of the matter is that everyone pretty much pays the same (for like cabin categories, of course) for a given cruise (with the exception, of course, of last minute bookings and the killer deals often offered on them). We sort of did an informal survey onboard the Amsterdam in January ... among some of us CCers ... and I found that each and every one pretty much plopped down the same amount of money for the cruise (that one had no last minute deals ... it was booked solid). If you paid more, you generally got some onboard bennies. I paid a bit more for that cruise because though I used a TA, it was not one of the large online discount ones. I got some bennies ... wine, DVD credit, photo credit, robe voucher, Pinnacle "experience," etc. You paid even more than me but got some nice onboard credits that I didn't get. A couple of other folks (in the same cabin category as me) used discount online TA's and got an even better price for their cabin. But they got zilch in the way of "bennies" or OBC's. In the end, I think we all paid the same because the people without the bennies and OBCs paid more in onboard charges than those with those items.

As my dear mom (God rest her soul) used to always say ... "you get what you pay for." And at least in regard to cruising, it seems like that is a very true statement.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We've used the same TA for all of our travel for years. He has become a friend and we give him all of our travel business as well as referrals to our other friends. In return, he works really hard for us and we rely on him to solve problems and resolve disputes on our behalf. Like most good TA's he works hard for his clients and really earns his commission.

I think I found an agent somewhat like this. I used to have an agent who was pretty good, but he left the business. I've been floundering since between large online agencies (fair customer service, decent discounts) and smaller "name agencies." But I found one agent (thanks for "hooking me up"," VeniceCruiser) who is really proactive ... she will scan for price reductions and get them for us and stays in contact when she finds something that could be a better deal. To me, this is the primary use of a travel agent. You need someone for whom your trip is just as important to them as it is to you.

I could probably book my travel much cheaper through certain "channels." But I use an agent because I am a very, very busy woman these days. I don't have the time or the inclination to check everyday for price drops and "flash specials" ... I need an agent I can count on to do those things for me.

An agent like that is worth their weight in gold and even if sometimes you might pay a bit more because maybe the big online discounters are offering a slightly lower price, I think you make out better with this type of agent.

I know the one I am using on my upcoming cruise will never get a dime of business from me again. She hasn't been responsive at all ... doesn't answer emails ... is never there when you call and doesn't call back promptly ... and, the final straw ... caused us to miss the possibility of a nice upgrade at a good price because she didn't jump on the phone with HAL in a timely manner. That's not the kind of TA you want to give your business too ... regardless of price.

Blue skies ...

--rita

we always book directly with HAL...and I watch the pricing after booking...and if I see it go down, I just call HAL and they refare me at the lower rate. have always been able to get better rates directly with HAL and also able to obtain the cabin of choice. Agents have been resourceful and responsive whenever I call. We also book our air separately...usually can get a better rate than with the HAL package. have fun on your cruise.

Well, could be somebody is loaded their offers with on-board benefits but our situation is that we're paying $1,200 ($600/person) less than the best HAL offered. It would take a whole lot of wine to make that much up. :)

Well, could be somebody is loaded their offers with on-board benefits but our situation is that we're paying $1,200 ($600/person) less than the best HAL offered. It would take a whole lot of wine to make that much up. :)

Yeah, but if you got upgraded through the HAL agent to a better cabin ... say from an inside to an outside ... plus got $250 p/p in onboard credit ... the price of the two cruises (one booked through TA and one booked through HAL) would quickly line up. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's absolutely true and all the power to the folks who do that but that's not the same as getting the deal in the first place. We only can cruise once a year. It's our major annual vacation. We don't, or at least haven't so far, book a guarantee as we usually want a specific cabin within a category. We look for the up front best price we can get and don't count on the "upgrade fairy".

LOL! I'm with you, Randy!:D I'll skip the little benefits and gifties and pay the lower fare. With the money I'm saving I can decide whether I want a bottle of wine, a robe, a Pinnacle dinner or maybe none of the above.

And unless they're going to upgrade me to the Penthouse or a super suite (which is highly unlikely and can happen even with a TA), I really don't want an upgrade from the cabin I carefully choose for location. Their upgrade may not be my upgrade:) .

Wanbe, I agree with most everyone here and think that if you haven't done much cruising you may be better off with a local TA or even an online TA who will work with you over the phone. The strictly internet TAs are for people who need no help from the beginning to end of their booking.

I would recommend doing what Hammybee recommended. Start with the HAL pricing and work your way from there. A good start are the T/As listed right here on this site. Good luck and I hope you get a great cruise!

LOL! I'm with you, Randy!:D I'll skip the little benefits and gifties and pay the lower fare. With the money I'm saving I can decide whether I want a bottle of wine, a robe, a Pinnacle dinner or maybe none of the above.

I don't know if you can do this with all the gifts, but I went down to the front office and quickly converted that robe credit into an onboard credit. I had no desire to lug one of those HAL robes home. The girl at the purser's desk just took the voucher and added the cash value to my account as an OBC.

Of course, the gifts and credits are only valuable if you are going to use them. Some people buy a few of the photos on a cruise anyway, so that photo shop credit is something that can be worthwhile to them. Same with the cruise DVD.

I'm not saying one strategy is any better than the other. I'm just saying that given two passengers who spend about the same onboard, they will both come out about the same regardless of what method they choose to book their trip.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Heather hit it in saying that it comes down to want kind of support you want or need and if you're willing to pay for it. We don't need a lot of support as we travel frequently on business and know pretty much how to get around airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc. We don't need help picking a cruise line, ship, itinerary or dates. We live in a mild climate so travel in and out of here is typically not an issue and even then we always go the day before to give us some flexibility for flight problems. We book B category or above and always a specific cabin so our chances of getting upgraded are slim which is OK by us. At that level we've never found HAL or any regular TA who can provide sufficient "extras" to make it worthwhile to go away from our on line providers. Bottom line for us is the up front cost and, within reason, the lowest bidder wins. (Within reason = known Internet provider)

We have used Both TA and HAL Direct. Here's the thing, take your time and shop, thats the bottom line. Some things to think about:

1) The best price is not always the best bargain:

- TA contact through e-mail only (lesser price, tough to get problems resolved).

- TA on-line with customer service that can be reached by phone, better option (you will be on hold for a bit as they work with HAL agents, minor inconvenience). Make sure you know about any specials when you book and ask about options if other specials come up.

- Ask TA about any fees for cancelation prior to the final payment date. (some TAs charge fees, some don't; usually have to keep on them for the money to come off your card if you cancel)

2) Booking with HAL:

- Sales promos can be the key here. Your going to pay a bit more (some folks here are going to frown and say hundreds in difference), but you speak to HAL direct and I've always had good results, there is no fee for cancelling prior to the final payment date, and I have not had any problems with our paperwork. When my brother booked this upcoming cruise, the difference between the On-Line TA and HAL was just $80, then HAL came up with a promo he was able to apply and that took the difference down to $20 without having to cancel and rebook. Some TAs were saying it had to be a new booking to get the promo, HAL was adding it with no problem.

As for air, when we did our europe cruise, we booked air ourselves. Here's the thing, if you plan to use transfers from HAL, they're going to want your flight numbers. So when we booked, it was way to early to book air, so I picked possible flight numbers I may use and gave those numbers when I booked. When we got our air, we told the TA the real numbers which were given to HAL. We did book the air with the same on line TA.

Again, best advice, shop, shop, shop. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise which ever way you go.

Thanks to all of you for some great advice. I apologize to all of you for my 1st and 2nd posts and inappropriate questions. I did not realize there was a rule about not naming TA's or Discounters by name. It makes perfect sense, I just was not thinking!

I am doing lots of research into costs, ships, ports, etc. Trying to plug them into some kind of chart so our friends can see at a glance what the best deals are, and will decide that I've made wise choices. Hope to have a happy post in the next couple of days about a booked cruise!

Archived