Marriage Certificate - Do I need it?

chopper2

I asked someone on the Royal Caribbean customer service line about using my birth certificate and drivers license as my ID because I wanted to make sure that it would be adequate (we're sailing on 10/22/06). She told me that I would need a copy of my marriage certificate to prove that the name on the birth certificate (my maiden name) was the same person as the name on my drivers license.

I've cruised in the past and had never had to do that...but she said that they have become very strict after 9/11.

Does anyone know if that is accurate? Do I really need to bring a copy of my marriage certificate?

thanks!

You've asked a simple question, with a simple answer, but don't be surprised if this thread goes on and on.........and on. These things usually do.

The answer is.......there is a chance you won't be asked to show your marriage certificate, but there is also some chance you will. I was told to bring mine along recently and my TA said it was mainly due to stricter ID requirements in Jamaica. (:confused: Don't know anything about that, but that's what I was told) I brought it, was never asked to show it. No big deal. Would have been a VERY big deal though, had I been asked to show it and NOT had it! Oh, and make sure it's a certified (raised seal) copy, not just a photocopy.

I've been on 45 cruises on almost every line out there and I've never been asked for my marriage certificate or my divorce decree, and neither have my mom, sister, relatives or friends been asked. Every cruise line knows that most adult women won't have the same last name as they did when they were born, so it's not even a issue. Heck, they barely look at your birth certificate when you board. As long as the name on your cruise documents matche the name on your driver's license/passport, there's no problem. The only time you might be asked for a marriage license is if you're underage and you need to prove you're married.

Best advice to avoid all this: Get a Passport.

I've been on 45 cruises on almost every line out there and I've never been asked for my marriage certificate or my divorce decree, and neither have my mom, sister, relatives or friends been asked. Every cruise line knows that most adult women won't have the same last name as they did when they were born, so it's not even a issue. Heck, they barely look at your birth certificate when you board. As long as the name on your cruise documents matche the name on your driver's license/passport, there's no problem. The only time you might be asked for a marriage license is if you're underage and you need to prove you're married.

Well, Kitty, I don't think your best advice is any help to the OP who's sailing in under two weeks. For this trip anyway, the best advice is for the OP to take a certified copy of her marriage certificate. Upon return, of course, a passport is in order if she intends any more travel outside the US.

I think its more for airport check-in & cruise ship check-in than ID for the islands. There was a poster on another cruise site board that had a NIGHTMARE of a time trying to fly out of their airport & then board the cruise ship because of the difference in the two names. This was after the 9/11.

Better safe than sorry, bring the ID & change your name when you get home as soon as possible.

Archived