Progreso beach recommendation

TwinsMommy

Hi,

I have read quite a few posts about the Corona beach, which is at the end of the 7KM-long pier. Is it the best beach in the area? I read some people complaint it is too close to the port. We really just want to find a "quite" beach with nice sand and restaurant with good food (shopping is not important to us). Where would you suggest us (with 2 4-year old boys) to go?

If Corona beach is the place to go, should we do the shore package with Carnival (given none of us drink alchol drinks)? Should we just take a bus or taxi instead -- I am not sure the kids can walk 7 KM (about 5 miles) to the beach?

Thanks for your help.

I can only say I wouldn't recommend the Progreso Beach Break. Overpriced, 30 minute drive each way, overcrowded, etc. I heard the people that went to Corona Beach Break had a great time....not sure if they have a pool or not. I have heard that it is best to just take one of the free shuttle buses there rather than the excursion. With the excursion you are paying for all inclusive drinks.

We just took a cab to the end of the pier and went to the beach. We did not pay CCL to take us there at all. But, be forewarned that the beach there is not like Coz. The water is not the beautiful blue. They do have cheap beer and a flea market with some good deals. My advice would be to go on the CCL tour in Merida and then drop by the beach later.

I did Merida on my own. Big mistake. I speak a little Spanish but not enough to have gone on my own. I took the local bus to town and it was a bust. It would be much better to go with someone who knows more than I do. I went to their tourist bureau on their Square and did not get any help there either. I would recommend going with a tour.

I don't speak spanish at all. I've been to Merida and the area (Santa Elaina, Ticul, Campeche, Progreso, etc) on two port calls and land vacations of 8, 10 and 14 days. I've never really had any difficulty expressing my needs and getting information. And I don't starve in restaurants. Can't wait to go again. Maybe a month next time.

Went to Progresso in Aug 06. Did not book an excursion thru Carnival. When you get off the ship you will walk thru the cruise terminal where there are severel shops. Should see a local person around that area selling tours. We bought a tour along with several other people from the boat from this person. Cost was $30 per person. The tour included a bus ride from town to a private beach resort called Reef Yucatan. I believe you can look on the web under Reef Yucatan and look at the resort. From the cruise terminal you will take a bus ride in to town where you will get off and get on another bus. Don't worry. There are several guides to help you. Once you get on the bus to go to the resort you will have a tour guide who will tell you about the area. It is about at 30min ride to the resort. The resort is very beautiful with two pools and a wonderful beach area. All drinks are included in the price of the tour. We were told that food would be about $10 extra once we got to the resort. We were not charged for the food. They had a buffet line on the beach and one by the pools and all the food was excellent. Had a wonderful time. We arrived at the resort about 11:30am and left the resort around 3:00 or so. They took us back to the cruise terminal so we didnt have to change buses in town and we were back to the ship by 3:40 or so. Had time to do some shopping before getting back on ship. Highly recommend this tour. I think Carnival has this same tour that is offered around $70 or so. Any questions??

You do not need to take a taxi to go to the beach in Progreso. The free shuttle buses take you to the open air market two blocks from the beach.

The Corona beach break has had good and bad reviews. I haven't used the facilities but have watched the doings from the street. It looks like a fun time for teens and up but a bit lacking for younger children.

The Gulf of Mexico in Progreso is very shallow. The pier extends six miles out into the gulf. This topography is the reason why the water isn't the beautiful blue of Cozumel. The upside is the usually calm gentle wave action that makes it nice for smaller children.

I recommend a restaurant a block or so down the malecon from Corona called El Viejo y el Mar (the old man and the sea) They have outdoor tables under palapas right on the malecon looking out over the beach. The food is terrific and reasonably priced. Best of all they have a swimming pool perfect for kids to enjoy while you relax.

You can view my pictures of Progreso here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/497246697mtDHHv

You will find several of the Corona beach break as well as the beach and the restaurant.

Do they provide towels there? Just wondering whether we should bring our own towels. Thanks.
Hola mama,

Ginger D and I have done Progreso 3 times and have found something new each trip. We did the ruins at Dziblchaltun (sp), Corona Beach Loaf. Took the shuttle to the flea market and walked to the beach. They have good food at Le Saint Bonnet and the Coronas at the beach are $1 @.;) The last trip we went to Reef Yucatan. Gorgeous place with a fantastic pool and a long beach. If you want to see some small ruins there is a short tour available and an open bar at the pool for the grand total of $30 pp. It is really nice.

Merida is toooo easy to do on your own instead of paying Carnival.

Amen! Amen! Amen! - but I live there part of most years, so I know where I'm going and what I want to do. Personally, I wouldn't pay for a "tour" to a "ruin/pyramid" either... those things cost big bucks - the bus is cheap and the entrance fee is less than $2 USD - and FREE on Sunday!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
You do not need to take a taxi to go to the beach in Progreso. The free shuttle buses take you to the open air market two blocks from the beach.

The Corona beach break has had good and bad reviews. I haven't used the facilities but have watched the doings from the street. It looks like a fun time for teens and up but a bit lacking for younger children.

The Gulf of Mexico in Progreso is very shallow. The pier extends six miles out into the gulf. This topography is the reason why the water isn't the beautiful blue of Cozumel. The upside is the usually calm gentle wave action that makes it nice for smaller children.

I recommend a restaurant a block or so down the malecon from Corona called El Viejo y el Mar (the old man and the sea) They have outdoor tables under palapas right on the malecon looking out over the beach. The food is terrific and reasonably priced. Best of all they have a swimming pool perfect for kids to enjoy while you relax.

You can view my pictures of Progreso here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/497246697mtDHHv

You will find several of the Corona beach break as well as the beach and the restaurant.

yst347,

Over on Corona Beach....did they charge for the lounge chairs? If so, do you know how much? How much did the beer cost?

:)Thanks!:)

Archived